Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Useful tips you may find helpful

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Useful tips you may find helpful

Post  wimplebum on 09.12.09 19:40

When using the self cleaning function, I put the racks in the bowl upside down with hand hot water and a squirt of washing up liquid and set for 15 minutes. Seems to work fairly well.

When emptying the oven, I found its a good idea to leave the top on the worktop and only carry the oven to the sink - best way to do this is in the stand. Most stands tend to have either handles, or recesses where you can put your fingers in. It feels much more secure when carrying the bowl this way - much less likely to drop it.

When cooking chicken always put in breast down first, cook for desired length of time - up to half the time, turn over and finish off. Otherwise the top will be cooked and the bottom raw. It appears most recipes for joints and anything dense seems to be recommended to do this.

One tip from one of our members is, if you don't have a retaining stand to put the lid on whilst cooking, why not try a pyrex basin? I have a stand but still think this is a good idea. I couldnt find my stand so used my pyrex jug - worked well although a bit wobbly.

If you are cooking a cake, this is best in a ring tin. I don't have one so I used a normal cake tin with an empty jam jar in the middle. Worked well. If you dont do this, you will need to cook the cake at a lower temperature for longer - until a knife/skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. I found with a cake of 4x4x4 oz it needed to be at 140C/280F needs about 50 minutes. Takes longer than the microwave, but looks more appetizing.

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

lids

Post  brocklesby on 12.12.09 9:47

I have found also that if you have the metal extension ring it makes a good stand for the lid of the oven when you take it off. It is a bit of problem to put it somewhere safe when you take it off.

brocklesby

THANK YOU : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Useful tips you may find helpful

Post  dreamteamgirl on 21.12.09 21:33

wimplebum wrote:W
When emptying the oven, I found its a good idea to leave the top on the worktop and only carry the oven to the sink - best way to do this is in the stand. Most stands tend to have either handles, or recesses where you can put your fingers in. It feels much more secure when carrying the bowl this way - much less likely to drop it.

What a FAB tip! I sort of forgot that it is the lid that is attached to the wall and the electric and not the stand Embarassed
Thanks!!
cheers

dreamteamgirl

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  lindysunshine on 03.07.10 14:22

I have a hinged lid, so have to just take bowl to sink. I haven't had a HO before, just thought a hinged lid 1 might be safer...Lindy

lindysunshine

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Where To safely place the Lid when checking or removing food.

Post  clasiechick1 on 11.03.11 3:48

Hi everybody!

Just thought I would like to add that I have a lid stand, but as I have problems holding things ( artheritas ) I find it difficult some times to lift the hot lid and place it safely in the stand! So what I do is to keep a clean Tea Towel on the work top next to the HO. When I have to remove the lid, I simply place it on top of the Tea Towel, whilst I check or remove the food! If I am using the extension ring whilst cooking, I simply place the lid on the Tea Towel then lift off the extension ring and place directly over the lid! so as I am utilising the space on my work top. The Tea Towel also prevents the lid from slipping or falling of the work top.

Hope my idea can be useful to somebody else!

Best wishes clasiechick1

clasiechick1

THANK YOU : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  reingeneration on 14.01.12 8:47

Be very careful if you put lid down on a towel as I sense a serious foire hazard Shocked Shocked Shocked

reingeneration

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  alantennuchi on 15.01.12 13:55

I purchased my first HO from JML and it blew up after a few uses so I sent it back for a refund. I then saw another one on one of the TV shopping channels with a hinged lid which I purchased and am very pleased with it. Having the hinged lid makes it SO much easier.
Being lazy, I must say that if the bowl gets dirty as in cooking meat etc, I just put it in the dishwasher.

alantennuchi

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave101 on 16.01.12 8:10

Never got a lid stand with mine so I use a spare wire rack from a combi oven I used to have.
Its very similar to the high rack that comes with the Halogen Oven.
Wire cake rack would probably work too.

Dave101

THANK YOU : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 19:43

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum