Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

New Member.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Member.

Post  wokman on 08.12.09 9:15

Greetings all, Smile

another new member here. just got a 12lt oven. far too big! the bowl sounds like a church bell. am messing about with it at the moment. cooked a pizza and some salmon yesterday. not the best. trial and error at the moment. think i'll go for the roast chicken at the weekend.

best for now,

Carl. aka wokman. thank you

wokman

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Roast Chicken

Post  wimplebum on 08.12.09 10:50

Hi Carl,

Welcome to our forum. A lot of the time, unless you have good recipes (most of those here tend to be good), it is a bit of trial and error with the Halogen Oven.

Please remember that when cooking chicken in the Halogen oven, you need to put it in breast down first, then half way through, turn it over - not like I did and ended up with the top cooked and the bottom still raw ;o)

You'll find some interesting ideas here in the forum, and if you have need of help, advice, etc, most of our members are happy to try to help if possible.

Hope you have an enjoyable success with your new oven - I'm jealous, mines only 7 litre but big enough for one person though.

John (wimplebum - or as Reeta calls me, Pimplebum ha ha ha)

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

Chicken.

Post  wokman on 09.12.09 9:10

Hello John, Smile

thanks for the reply.

i thought the idea with the oven was that one just plonked the whole chicken in there and walked away until the thing was cooked, and golden brown all over? is this oven not what it's cracked up to be? in a conventional oven i used to do that. didn't even cover the bird. i have a turkey crown for the christmas, i suppose a similar process is required there. although if i want people to leave early i could always serve them up a half cooked crown. Twisted Evil
btw, i think the 12ltr is just a tad too big for me. heavy bowl to clean out, er, every time i use it. not too impressed with the self clean feature. tried it last night and the water was cold.

best for now,

Carl Smile

wokman

Back to top Go down

It's not that bad

Post  wimplebum on 09.12.09 9:48

Hi Carl,

The Halogen is a bit different to the conventional oven. All the recipes I have seen so far for larger items, such as joints, chickens and the like seem to need turning over during cooking - you'd need to see appropriate recipes for each type of joint. For smaller items (thinner and less dense), they don't need turning and generally tend to cook much quicker. Of course its more healthy because you don't have all the fat. I like the Halogen because it is so easy to use and keep clean.

One of our members did mention that when cleaning the oven she found it awkward to carry. What I tend to do is take it to the sink in 2 parts. The bowl is much lighter if it doesn't have the top. Also, if you have a stand, most of them appear to have handles or similar which makes it much easier.

Regarding the self cleaning function, I had a problem with this myself because the instructions I have is to put 15cm cold water in - that fills it right up. I posted this on the forum and Reeta and the others came back with ideas. My manual is - shall we say not too hot. for example all the recipes are wrong. Leg of lamb with the main ingredient of Loin of pork!!! Baked fish with the main ingredient of 4 large potatoes!!!

What I have found is that if I put 1.5cm of water - half cold and half hot (I have to use the kettle for hot water) so that it is hand hot, with a squirt of washing up liquid in it, this works well. It does make me laugh though. Sometimes I get some bubbles on the water. Whe I start the cleaning cycle, these go into a peak and fly off all over the place. Its funny to watch.

Hope this is of help to you. One suggestion though is if you are going to do something different - especially for a party etc, always try out the recipe first to make sure it works. I did Toast and didn't realize it would completely dry it out and make it crunchy - thats beautiful especially with baked beans on.

Happy cooking

John

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: New Member.

Post  wokman on 09.12.09 9:59

John,

thanks very much for the tips. i will keep up my endeavours in the world of halo cooking chef i'm sure once i pass my newbie stage i will begin to enjoy the food. must try that beans on toast. sounds good.

best for now,

Carl. Smile

wokman

Back to top Go down

Re: New Member.

Post  Sponsored content Today at 23:34

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum