Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Cheat's pasta bolognese

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cheat's pasta bolognese

Post  lozzy on 20.01.11 18:39

500g lean steak mince
garlic clove crushed
one pepper chopped
one onion or one leek chopped
salt
pepper
2 beef oxo cubes
spaghetti
jar of bolognese

Put in all of the ingredients barring the spaghetti and bolognese.
Set dial for 7 minutes and blast on 240degrees, stirring occasionally until mince has browned.

Add spaghetti (broken in half) and jar of bolognese. Ensure spaghetti is mixed in with mince and covered by sauce. Cover with lid and set temp to 200 degrees for 10 mins.

This has got to be one for the students. This is my third time using a HO and this worked perfectly. I chose lean mince so as to avoid a greasy bolognese (no way to spoon off grease as with frying). I used leek instead of onion and these were cooked soft as were the peppers and the spaghetti was soft. If using fusili or penne, it may need a little longer as the pasta is slightly thicker.

Isn't this all why we bought one of these things? One pot to wash up and dinner in 20 minutes. Who needs Jamie? Lol! Very Happy

lozzy

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Cheat's pasta bolognese

Post  ukcarol on 20.01.11 19:39

Hi Lozzy, did you add any water when you added the spaghetti? or was there enough in the sauce?

ukcarol

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  hummingbird on 21.01.11 12:30

Hi Lossy thank you will be giving this a go

hummingbird

THANK YOU : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 21.01.11 13:48

thank you Lozzy

Thanks for sharing your quick, simple but very tasty sounding recipe. Ive copied it into the recipe A-Z so that it stays easy to find. Very Happy

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  lozzy on 21.01.11 16:28

Thank you for putting in A-Z. I'm still finding my way around this forum.

I didn't add any water as there was enough sauce to cover the spaghetti strands. If you find that there isn't enough sauce to cover the pasta you could use a tin of chopped tomatoes as opposed to water as that way you're retaining the flavour rather than diluting it.

lozzy

Back to top Go down

Post  lozzy on 21.01.11 16:34

Also, if you're bothered about any grease, you could try to spoon this out after the first 10 min blast but it depends how healthy you want to be.

I put mine in the tuppaware and in the fridge last night and had some today. I have to say that there was a lot less fat than when cooking the conventional way as I tend to fry the onions and peppers in a little oil before adding the mince. As I didn't do this in the HO and used lean steak mince, it was slightly healthier I think.

On reflection, I prefer the flavour of conventional spag bol but this was certainly good enough for eating when you don't have much time. A sprinkling of grated cheddar may have made it more scrummy but then less healthy.

lozzy

Back to top Go down

Post  ukcarol on 21.01.11 21:43

Thanks Lozzy

ukcarol

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel H on 06.01.13 13:01

Hi Everyone

Am I doing something wrong?!

After the final 10 minutes my spaghetti is never cooked and still hard, even though it has been covered in mince and sauce.

Do you cook the spaghetti first?

Also, do you all just put everything in your main halogen glass bowl like I've been doing?

Tried twice now and not tasted great Embarassed

Second time I left it on for longer than 10 minutes, stiring constantly and the spaghetti did become softer but the mince and sauce was just becomes over cooked.

Daniel

Daniel H

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 06.01.13 17:45

Hi Daniel,

according to the recipe you don't have to boil the spaghetti first.

It is best to cook in a a bowl and place the bowl on the low rack. This way hot air can circulate around/underneath the food.

welcome-banner.gif

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Variation

Post  ccridersuz on 06.10.13 19:27

Thought I would try this, but found I had picked up beef in ale instead.
Anyway, I put in my mince, a quarter of a teaspoon of garlic paste (my kid's don't like too much garlic) some onion and due to having only one oxo, some bisto and about 1/4 pint of water, stirring three times, after 7 minutes on 240 I added some tinned plumb tomatoes without the juice, the spag and beef in ale sauce. set it on 220 for 10 min's, stirring every 3,ins or so, I found that the spag had burn where not submerged to a brown colour and the spag not cooked,
I added about half a pint of gravy mix and in total cooked for another 10 min's at 220.
The result was nice and filling, but I think I will restrain from cooking the spag in it in future.
Don't you just love the fact that it washes itself?

ccridersuz

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 19:47

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum