Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Help Help Help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help Help Help

Post  news on 16.01.11 16:26

I bought my oven last week from Netto on offer at £25.00 - great I thought. So far not tried much as no receipy book with it. Have downloaded book of this web site (great). So far have tried jacket potatoes (small)on 200 - took 40 mins on bottom rack - frozen (thawed) roast potatoes - 20 mins top rack 200 - and finaly a chicken leg which I wrapped in tin foil put on top rack @ 175 40 mins - not cooked so I unwrapped and upted the temp to 200 for 15 mins - ok. What am I doing wrong as I am sure it shouldn't take this long and I do so want to prove my husband wrong - that this will be another gadget for the back of the cupboard.

June : Crying or Very sad

news

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Help Help Help

Post  hummingbird on 16.01.11 16:51

Hi June your not necessarily doing anything wrong but it's a bit of trial and error at first to get to know what works with your oven. If you go to the A-Z recipe section here you will find recipes for most things. Chicken leg would take about 20 - 40mins @ 200c roast potatoes (not frozen type ) take about 1hr, really it's best to treat the oven as a smaller version of the conventional oven but it turns out better food.Sorry Hope something here is of help

hummingbird

THANK YOU : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 16.01.11 16:51

Hi June

You're not doing anything wrong - it's just that the manufacturers seem to make inflated claims.
Don't expect miracles but do expect wonderful results. If you think of your oven as a small and efficient oven you won't go far wrong. You will need to experiment a little with the time and temperature as HO's can vary. I would suggest increasing the temperature on your oven for your roast potatoes and your chicken. For the jacket potatoes, if you have an extender ring, use it with the potatoes on the top rack which helps the air to circulate underneath a bit better.
Preheating the oven for a few minutes as you would with your 'big' oven can also help.
Very Happy

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  news on 16.01.11 17:10

Thanks for help guess I will keep trying. I do have an extension ring but the racks are not very tall should I be looking for an extra taller rack? As you can tell I know nothing about this type of cooking. Is it rue that it uses less elctricity than a conventianel oven.

June

news

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 16.01.11 17:22

Hi June

The racks come with the ovens and aren't that tall. Yes it is true that your HO oven uses considerably less electricity.
Don't worry June, we all came here because we new nothing about this type of cooking cool
When you have time read some of the previous posts and recipes. They will point you in the right direction.
Chef

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  cookinganimals on 26.08.11 2:37

I have just bought a Hyundai 7 litre hallogen oven in (Britain, I know alot of self help guide/forums can be American/Canadian with the way electrical appliances work.My operating guide tells me the cooking times for a chicken etc.It doesn't mention if you can/need to use water/oil for other items & how to boil/poach an egg or anything that you cook with water/oil with in a conventional oven/pan etc as lots of foods need water/oil to cook properly.It also doesn't state if the self clean system can have water/detergent used/or where to put it to help clean!I haven't used it as I can return it as it's still within its warranty.If these issues/instructions are not part of the operating manual then I think these basics with each brand being different should be statatoury, especially for someone like me who has never used a hallogen oven before.I have tried looking for precise instructions online but I cant find the info I need.If anyone has the precise answers to my questions/personal operating experience instructions of the Hyundai 7 litre Please help, it will be much appreciated. Cat Smile

cookinganimals

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 26.08.11 17:45

Hi Cat,

The operating and cooking methods for all halogen ovens are similar.

You have a smaller oven , so only your temperature and cooking time will be slightly different due to the wattage.

If you read the other posts and some of the recipes in this forum you will learn how to do all the things you have asked.

Good Luck

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 28.08.11 16:03

Hi Cat

If you type specific items like 'eggs' into the search box and click on 'posts', you'll be able to see all previous posts on the subject. If you can't find a specific answer, please ask and we'll try to help.

As for cleaning, just put a couple of inches of tepid water into a COOLED oven with a small squirt of washing up liquid. Use the thaw/wash setting for about 15 minutes and cleaning is easy. Don't get the element wet - just wipe the lid with a damp cloth. You can also line the bottom of the oven with tin foil when cooking 'messier' items and cleaning is even easier.

Good Luck

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:33

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum