Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

HELP! Had 3 unsuccessful attepts, what am I doing wrong?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HELP! Had 3 unsuccessful attepts, what am I doing wrong?

Post  kirsty30 on 06.01.11 7:46

I\'m new here

Anybody out there that can help? Sad

We live in India and some friends brought us an elgento halogen oven last week.

First of all I tried to make a pizza, the top was brilliantly done but the base was still doughy and uncooked. I thought maybe it was my fault because the pan I had used touched the sides of the bowl and the air could not circulate.

Next I tried to make a cake in a silicone mould. The top cooked and the bottom didn't. I had to turn it out and over. Then the top cooked but it was still raw all through the middle when we cut it. This time there was room for the air to circulate all around.

Next we tried to make bread rolls from a halogen oven cookbook. We followed all instructions, put foil on one of the racks, again the top cooked and the bottom didn't, we had to turn them over to cook.

I expected the oven to cook things much faster than the little electric oven we had been using but with all the fannying around we have spent ten times longer just trying to get something that was edible at the end.

Our friends thought it may be the different power supply over here but the light comes on and goes off which shows the oven has got to temperature so I can't see that being a problem.

Our friends are upset because we haven't had any luck with it and we are upset too! Crying or Very sad

If anyone has any advice whatsoever it would be most welcome! Very Happy

thank you

kirsty30

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP! Had 3 unsuccessful attepts, what am I doing wrong?

Post  hummingbird on 06.01.11 11:37

Hi Kirsty So sorry to hear you've not had any success yet with the ho oven Sad. Think we've experienced some diaster other at first. I believe there is a recipe posted in the A-Z for pizza, i haven't cooked pizza in my ho so not really able to offer any help there but as for cakes and bread... I have found that most cakes cook best when they are covered with tin foil to start with say for the first half of the cooking time a lot of the recipe books give a temperture that is far to high so the top cooks but the rest doesn't try to lower the temperture and extend cook time or use the extention ring (if you have) if not cook on low rack and use hi rack with tin foil on pierced all over with little holes to help, hope some of this helps afraid it's a case of trial and error to see what works best for your oven as they are different the wattage plays a large part....... Don't give up they do work very well but practise is the best thing and patience Good Luck I hope this gets you going in the right direction let us know how you go Smile

hummingbird

THANK YOU : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 06.01.11 12:10

Hi Kirsty30 and welcome

Welcome

I'm sorry your start hasn't been good. Your HO is a small and efficient fan oven but not as fast as the manufacturers claim.
As Hummingbird says, there can be a bit of trial and error at the start. Baking is the one thing that most members have had trouble with so you are not alone. Try following her advice re lowering the temperature, cooking with a foil covering for half the cooking time and using the extender ring if you have one. Preheating the oven for about 5 minutes or so can help too.
I have only tried the pitta pizza recipe on the forum but the fact that your pizza was as big as the oven has stopped the heat from circulating - the bottom would take a very long time to cook with the heat source being on top. Try a smaller pizza, preheat the oven to a slightly lower temperature, cover the top with foil for half the time and then remove foil till the pizza is to your taste.
With a little practice, you'll soon be cooking with confidence.
Very Happy

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  kirsty30 on 06.01.11 16:57

Thanks for the advice, I will give it another try! Chef

kirsty30

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  HelenS on 11.01.11 0:51

I use a ring cake pan when cooking cakes seems to help cook through Chef

HelenS

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:32

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum