Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Hi, just joined

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi, just joined

Post  Debbie L on 04.01.11 4:32

Hi everyone my names debbie and i treated myself to a halogen oven for christmas after being withought my gas cooker for over a year!! (i couldnt afford to have it connected) so i'm fairly new to using my oven, so far all ive cooked in it are sausages on the day i bought it because i couldnt wait to use it lol, then my chicken roast on christmas day. i would love to be able to cook like i used to on my convential cooker, so i searched for a chilli recipe just to see if i could cook this type of food and low and behold i found this site.
I'm a bit wary about what i can and cant do in my halogen oven so at the moment i'm scared i might break it Smile
I love the fact that whatever you are cooking is kept away from the fat that drips off and lets face it everyone can benefit from less fat in foods, i cant wait to read more recipes and get started at being more adventurous and getting used to my cooker, i hope i havent waffled too long, happy cooking xxx

Last edited by Debbie L on 04.01.11 4:34; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Debbie L

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi, just joined

Post  hummingbird on 04.01.11 12:41

Hello and Welcome to the forum debbie you've come to the right place for helpful tips and recipes try to read some of the previous posts for help and recipes. If you treat your oven like your conventional cooker jsut bit more effiecent you wony go far wrong most of it is experience and experimentation to find out what works best for you... most basic things you need are the rack high and low extender ring is good tin foil to cover food if cooking to fast pyrex dish or oven proof dishes time and practise. If you have a question just post someone may have the answer Good Luck

hummingbird

THANK YOU : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  Debbie L on 04.01.11 15:10

Thank you Hummingbird, i'm going to give chilli con carne a go tonight, is it safe to cook the mince in the glass bowl first? i used to fry the onion and mince then drain it before adding the rest of my ingredients i know its going to be a little awkward to drain it as i got a 12 litre one, i think i should just try it and stop thinking about it, trial and error is best rather than not giving it a go at all Smile

Debbie L

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 04.01.11 15:21

Hi Debbie and welcome

Welcome

It is safe to cook the mince in the glass bowl but will take longer to cook as the hot air can't circulate underneath - it's also a very heavy item and when hot difficult to handle safely.
If you have a hob, it would be easier and quicker to fry the mince and then add to a casserole dish placed on a rack to finish in the HO.

Good Luck

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Debbie L on 04.01.11 15:25

Hi June
thats what i was worried about with it being heavy, but i dont have a hob to fry it on first so i'll have to give it a go in the HO, thank you

Debbie L

Back to top Go down

Post  hummingbird on 04.01.11 16:03

Hi Debbie if possible use a pyrex dish or anything oven safe to fry onions and meat add hot liquid and hopefully it will turn out fine

hummingbird

Back to top Go down

Post  hummingbird on 04.01.11 16:14

Hi Debbie full ho instruction for chilli.

Put beef onion and garlic in oven safe dish that fits your oven.
Cook on low rack at 240c/440f for 30 mins stir every 10 mins until brown.
Add chilli powder, kidney beans, tomatoes + tomatoe puree,cayenne powder, mushrooms mixed with flour and beef stock stir well.
Cover chilli with lid, cook for 1hr 30 mins @180c/350f or until cooked, stir every 20 mins serve with rice.... Good Luck
Hop this helps

hummingbird

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 04.01.11 16:21

Debbie L wrote:. . . i hope i havent waffled too long, happy cooking xxx
Hi Debbie,
you can waffle as long as you want, we don't mind Laughing

welcome to the forum Debbie
I am Glad you've joined us. If you need help you know where we are

coucoufleurbleue

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  Debbie L on 04.01.11 17:07

Aww thanks Reeta i do have a habit of waffling a lot lol, thanks hummingbird thats the recipe that brought me to this site, its similar to mine but i dont do the garlic and i use different bits and bobs i'm gutted though as i had a jar of Bulgarian spices, that i used in almost everything including beans, for years (coz you only needed a little each time) and because there isnt much room in my cupboard it fell out and smashed my kitchen smelt lovely for days though Smile
so if anyone's going to Bulgaria this year pick me up a jar please Smile xxx

Debbie L

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:59

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum