Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Roasting Joints

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roasting Joints

Post  Itchybeard on 21.10.09 3:35

Hi All.
After deliberating for a while I have just obtained a halogen oven and so far its great apart from getting good recipies , thank god for this site Very Happy
I have not seen many recepies for roasting joints of meat exept perhaps beef is it possible to roast pork, Lamb etc?
Another question.. I have noticed that it only mentions cooking Yorkshire puddings from frozen, does this mean that if you put the conventional mix in it would just blow obout?
Thanks in antisipation.
Itchy

Itchybeard

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Roasting Joints

Post  Admin on 04.11.09 17:06

Have you been brave enough to try the conventional mix yet? :bom:

I think with the Halogen oven there is going to be a lot of experimenting going on.

Tell us how you got on Itchy

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  Itchybeard on 04.11.09 19:19

Hi
I think experiment is the word. I cooked an approx 2kg joint of pork in the halogen. The meat was wrapped in foil when first cooked then uncovered for the last 45 min. My intention being to have the meat well cooked and tender.It was cooked for about half an hour extra than was recommended and it looked great on the outside, crackling was crispy albeit a bit hard but the meat was far to rare for me for in the middle. So much so I sliced it then put it in the conventional oven to finish off.

I shall have to try a mixture of different times and temperatures. I think Steaks and chops might cook better than joints?

It all depends on taste I suppose I like my meat well done and very tender which may prove difficult in the halogen. Beef and chicken might fare different it would be good to hear any ones experiences.
There does not seem any good literature on halogen cooking or am I just not finding it.

Anyway although there has been a few negatives here overall I am still really pleased with the oven generally and am using it all the while. Successes so far are jacket potatoes, Sausages, Meat balls and Burgers.
Have just obtained the roasting tray and steamer tray so shall be trying other foods and methods.

Very Happy Happy cooking Very Happy

Itchybeard

Back to top Go down

Well done!

Post  tyke99 on 05.11.09 9:06

I understand from 'trawling the net' that the way to get a more well done joint cooked through evenly is to cook it at a lower temperature but for longer.

tyke99

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Itchybeard on 05.11.09 10:45

Thanks tyke99.
I will give it a go. I'm sure that in the halogen you can get any food cooked just the way you want it's just finding the correct temperature and time settings.
It cooks fish fingers nice to... Smile

Itchybeard

Back to top Go down

roasts

Post  LINIAN on 19.11.09 14:53

I agree, large joints of beef, pork seem to take much longer than the conventional oven. I love doing various chicken dishes though. Chicken is much better than in conventional. Also fish of course. My favourite dish, however, are chocolate muffins. I make 6 individual ones and they are delicious. Normal 4 x 4 x 4 recipe with 2 eggs, drop of milk. Put in indv. muffin cases (usually stand them in raminkin dishes) and c ook for 20mins on about 165.

LINIAN

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Roasting Whole Chicken

Post  wimplebum on 30.11.09 22:08

If you do decide to roast a whole chicken, I found that it cooks the top and not the bottom, so you need to put in breast down first for about 25-30 minutes, then turn over and continue cooking for a further 25 minutes. The recipe I had said to brush with Soy Sauce. I won't be doing that again because the soy sauce went black and made the chicken look burnt. Was cooked well, nice and moist and full of flavour.

Havent tried a joint yet - that'd be interesting to see what happens.

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

Roasting Joints

Post  Itchybeard on 01.12.09 9:38

Hi Wimplebum.
I must agree with you totaly about the oven cooking more on the top than the bottom. I suppose even with the fan its always going to be cooler on the bottom. Now I realise this I have started using it to my advantage when cooking multiple items. For example I cooked a mixed grill the other day putting the sausages and pork loin chops on the top rack and some gammon on the bottom and they all cooked as I like it with the pork and sausages being nicely well cooked and the gammon not cooked so much.
I shall have a go with a whole chicken thanks for the advise.

I thought at first it would be another gadget but far from it. I use it more than my conventional oven now. I think it will come in very very handy at Christmas...Still experimenting though.
Keep the useful comments coming.

Itchybeard

Back to top Go down

joints of meat

Post  brocklesby on 05.12.09 8:47

HI itchybeard,

I am new to the forum, and have just purchased the JML halogen oven.
I am a chef and have never used anything such as this. They do say that they should cook evenly all over but not tried as yet. Only got it yesterday. I would say that experimenting with meat is a good idea, and test after the cooking time, if still a little underdone give it extra time. As I say I am new to this so it is like the blind leading the blind

brocklesby

THANK YOU : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Itchybeard on 05.12.09 12:53

Hi brocklesby and welcome.
I have found when cooking joints of meat to cook on lower temp for a longer time also turning the joint a couple of times.
I suppose you might say that defeats the object in a way but I find I am now using my Halogen as well as my conventional together eg: joint in the oven and roasters, yorkies and veg in the Halogen.

Found on here that you can do yorkshire puddings in the Halogen and it does them great but you still have to turn over when brown on the top to brown the bottom. They are realy light to. I tend to do a large round one in a none stick small sandwich tin.
By the way I was a chef to a few years ago.
Let us know how you get on.
Happy Halogoning Very Happy Very Happy

Itchybeard

Back to top Go down

Post  BLUFLUMAN on 08.03.10 12:34

I cooked roast pork yesterday the pork was lovely but the crackling was just a bit overdone the roasties were brilliant.i decided after 15mins to put on the extension ring i found the extra height of this doesnt overcook crackling and other cuts of meat.thats the way i am going to do it from now on.does anyone have an opinion on this Very Happy

BLUFLUMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 08.03.10 17:01

Hi, using the extension ring in this way sounds like a good idea. I suppose it depends on the size and shape of your roast and on personal taste regarding 'doneness'.

The ring certainly adds another dimension to the flexibility of our halogen cooking. Thank you for sharing this.

free-happy-smileys-9

Ps, you may have noticed that I am now helping Reeta as a moderator on this site. Would you mind if I copied your lamb kleftico recipe to the recipe section of the site so that everone can find it?

feedme

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  brocklesby on 08.03.10 22:26

HI to you all once again

I have cooked every joint imaginable in my oven.
I have posted quite a few recipes on my section of the site.
I have tended to do all the meal in my oven and i have achieved very good results.
I have now got my life back in order after my wifes illness. I have now got other recipes done and hopefully I will be posting them very soon.
I do use my extension ring all the time and it does help a great deal

Eric

brocklesby

THANK YOU : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 09.03.10 11:41

Hi Eric

I am new as a HO user and as a moderator on this forum but I have read many of your previous posts.`I am glad that you are getting your life back in order. Life can be difficult sometimes.

You are a tremendous asset to this forum and I am sure we all eagerly look forward to your future posts.

feedme

junie

Back to top Go down

lamb kleftico

Post  BLUFLUMAN on 10.03.10 7:57

yeah no problem junie Very Happy

BLUFLUMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  BLUFLUMAN on 10.03.10 8:02

hi brocklesby
I know were you are coming from.for many years i have had renal failure then seven weeks ago my daughter gave me a kidney.and at the moment i am on my way to a good recovery.as you might well know its not just the person thats ill thats affected its also your spouse and family.so i hope everything goes well for you both Very Happy

BLUFLUMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  polegate on 10.03.10 16:41

cooked a large gammon yesterday, kept turning it over, cooked it on bottom shelf, BEAUTIFUL

polegate

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Cooking roast joints

Post  Buck431 on 25.11.11 8:46

Hi all I've had my oven for bout 4 weeks and have tried beef and pork joints, which have both been successful. Although its about experimenting with the timing and heat settings I've found a temperature fork which is electronic and can be set for type of meat and also whether you like it rare or well done etc. it's used mainly for barbecue cooking but it's come in really handy to test the joints during cooking and it aliviates the need to cut the joint to test it hope this helps buck431 Laughing

Buck431

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 25.11.11 10:10

thank you Buck 431

They are called meat thermometers and they certainly do take the guesswork out of roasting meat. I always use one too.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Dorris59 on 19.02.12 22:49

I cooked pork but I like pork cooked slow in a conventional oven so that it's tender. I also cover with foil. Tried pork in the Halogen oven but it wasn't tender. Threat for crackling though! Anyone got any tips on how to achieve tender pork in a Halogen? Think I will try again but this time put it in a dish before putting into the Halogen and cooking slower at lower temperature and maybe putting some tin foil over the dish.

Dorris59

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 20.02.12 19:06

Hi dorris59

I find that using a lower temperature for longer improves most things in the HO. I generally use a temperature around 20C lower than in my 'big' fan oven and use less time.

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 16:39

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum