Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Scones - how to make them

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scones - how to make them

Post  susan309 on 22.11.10 18:54

I have tried a few times to make scones the receipe for the christmas ones state

Place on the low rack and then position the low rack on top of the high rack and put into the Halogen Oven

So from that i assume the scones are high up - as ive been putting mine on high rack but they are really brown on the top within 10 minutes and some are uncooked when you turn them over.

Can someone advise please -

susan309

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: Scones - how to make them

Post  hummingbird on 22.11.10 20:55

hi susan309

I have a recipe for fruit scones which is as follows hope it helps

Ingredients
8oz self raising flour 1/4pint milk or half milk half sour cream
1/2tsp salt 1 tbsp caster sugar
1tsp baking powder 1 beaten to glaze (optional)
2oz butter

Preheat oven to 200c
Grease baking tray

Rub butter & flour +salt to resemble bread crumbs
Add milk gradually until mixture starts to stick together in one big ball

Shape and pat into 1/2inch slab using hands not a rolling pin in order to keep dough light.

Cut 8-10 scones out of mixture with cutter, about 2inch in diameter
Place scones on tray on high rack for 10 mins ( if scones brown to quick cover with tin foil.

Sorry this is probably the same as you've already got, have you got extender ring perhaps you could try that with high rack. Welcome :confused:

hummingbird

THANK YOU : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 23.11.10 10:20

Hi Susan

The recipe says if scones aren't quite done, then turn the oven down to 175C for another 5 minutes. If the scones are getting too brown too quickly in your oven you could try a slightly lower heat.

You could also try preheating the oven so that the bottom of the oven is hot to start with. The extender ring, as Hummingbird says is also a good idea if you have one.

There are variations between ovens and sometimes a little trial and error gets us there.

I hope this is helpful. Very Happy

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  susan309 on 25.11.10 12:26

Thanks for the replies - i do have extender ring and use it all the time. The scones seem to brown on top too quickly and there too soft to turn over as i found out the other day.

I did them at 200 on the bottom - so would you say lower temperature then.

I also make a quiche ina normal oven its on 200 for 20 mins and is fine - tried it today in the HO and well after 15 mins the top was very brown and the egg mixture very runny underneath. I had toremove and microwave for 2 mins to set it.

So would you say the temperature needs to be dropped then i know these ovens dont cook faster but there supposed to be more energy efficient arent they so is it that they cook on lower temperature then - i just dont know how to put my trusted ordinary recipes in the HO WITHOUT ruining them lol

susan309

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  hummingbird on 25.11.10 13:27

Hi Susan309
madsmileys Sorry scones and quiche didn't go so well. the scone recipe I posted actually came from HO cook book so not sure what else you could do apart from disperse heat either with steam rack on high above scones or try tin foil punched through with lots of little holes wrapped over high rack. Most of my sponge mixes tend to be covered with tin foil until last 10 mins and are fine.

Just found quiche recipe in ho book it says cook on high rack for 15 mins @180c or until top firm trail and error I guess :confused:

hummingbird

THANK YOU : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 25.11.10 14:07

Hi Susan309

I would try a lower temperature for longer with your scones or cover them as Hummingbird suggests. With the quiche, I would cover with foil for half of the cooking time.
Quiche in my HO recipe book has you cooking the base first then filling and cooking on the low rack for 30-40 minutes at 190C covering with foil for half the cooking time.
I do a version of the crustless quiche recipe in our A-Z and it does take the 30-40 minutes in my HO to cook through properly.
I hope this helps.

It can be a bit of a hit or miss until you get a feel for your particular oven - baking and pastries being the trickiest - don't give up - you WILL get there. Very Happy

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 16:37

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum