Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

newbie looking for some expert advice please

View previous topic View next topic Go down

newbie looking for some expert advice please

Post  sally on 22.11.10 11:54

hello everybody, my name is sally and i am a occupational therapy instructor working with adults who have learning disabilities, one of my clients has recently been brought a halogen oven from coopers and would really like to make mince pies for christmas firstly i have never used a halogen cooker before so have not a clue where to start but i also have to make some clear and simple instructions for the user to follow if they as such choose to cook with it independantly any tips or ideas would be really helpful many thanks ...sallyxx

sally

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: newbie looking for some expert advice please

Post  junie on 22.11.10 12:22

Hi Sally and welcome

Welcome

No-one has yet posted a mince pie recipe on the forum but the instructions for similar sweet pastry recipes in one of my books recommends preheating the oven to 200C for about 5 minutes, placing the pies on a baking tray onto the lower rack, and cooking for about 15-18 minutes. If they are brown before cooking right through, then cover with foil and give them a little longer.
The manufacturers instructions aren't too clever with these ovens so a little trial and error seems to be the order of the day.

All the ovens work in the same way, set the temperature, set the timer and press the handle down flat (there is a safety cut out button which switches the oven off when the handle is raised). The light cuts on and off while the oven is working the same way the thermostat does in your 'big' oven - this is normal.
The mechanical timer can be inaccurate on times under 10 minutes and probably would switch off after 2 or 3 minutes (mine does anyway). Either set the timer for longer than you need or use another kitchen timer. The timer will continue to count down once you have raised the handle but don't worry, as long as the handle is raised the oven won't turn on accidentally.
When cleaning don't wet the bulb housing under the lid, just wipe with a damp cloth.
I think that sums up the basics. If you think of the Halogen oven as an efficient small oven, not a microwave, not a deep fat fryer or anything else, then you won't go far wrong.

When you get some time, have a read around the previous posts and recipes, they'll help to point you in the right direction.

You know where we are if you need us.

Chef

Last edited by junie on 22.11.10 12:27; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added to post)

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 22.11.10 13:39

Hello Sally,

welcome to the forum.

You know where June is if you need more info lol!

Glad you have joined us

welcome

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  sally on 22.11.10 14:17

thanks ever so much for such a speedy reply hopefully i will be able write some simple operating instructions as well fingers crossed for the mince pies will let you know how i get on once again thank you .....sallyxx

sally

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  hummingbird on 22.11.10 15:24

Hi Sally Welcome

I don't have a recipe for mince pies but have found two recipes one that uses mincemeat and apples as a desert or main pie that you could perhaps alter the filling sorry but it's a large pie not sure on reducing size hope one of these is helpful.

Mincemeat and Apple Slice

Low rack and baking tray
Serves 6 Pre-heat oven as per manufacturer's instruction to 200c

Ingredients Topping
6 oz (175g Butter 14oz (400g) mincemeat
2.5 oz (75g Caster sugar 3 apples sliced
5.5oz (150g) plain flour 1.75oz (50g) melted butter
1tsp baking powder 3 tbsp caster sugar
2 egg yolks

Method for base

In bowl/processer, mix butter sugar flour and baking powder until mixture sticks together.

Press mixture flat into cake tin. Bake for 10 mins. Remove to a safe work surface i.e one that has a heat protector board. Tray will be hot!!!!!

Method for topping
Spread mincemeat over cooked base, this can be made easier if you heat mincemeat for a few mins in halogen Not to long about 1 min on lowest setting or just use heat created by cooking base. Lay sliced apples slightly over lapping the slices. Drizzle melted butter over apple and sprinkle sugar before bking for a further 10 mins at 200 c

Sally sorry if i've made this sound simple trying to make easier for the clients to understand Good Luck

The other recipe I have is for Spinach and red pepper torta (posh name for pie but perhaps it can be modified.

ready made pastry or make pastry ( ready made is easier)
1 beaten egg for glazing

Roll pastry to 1/2 inch thick

Line pie dish or bun tin ( not sure if you can get one to fit ho)
Fill with mincemeat
Dampen edges place on lids seal edges
Brush over glaze

cook pie @ 200c for 30 mins in middle of oven if tops are cooking to quickly wrap tin foil over tops ( CAUTION!!!! I have found if tin foil is not secured it gets sucked up by the fan) Trick I use is to plce the steam basket on top although i appreciate not everybody gets this with there HO.

Not to sure this is expert advise but it's the best I could find best of Luck!!! let us know how it goes

lol! lol!

hummingbird

THANK YOU : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:10

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum