Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Self cleaning - think info is wrong - any ideas?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Self cleaning - think info is wrong - any ideas?

Post  wimplebum on 25.11.09 14:50

Hi I got my oven today, its an EasyLife machine. It has a self cleaning mode and according to the instructions, you fill it to 15cm (almost completely full) with cold water and a squirt of washing up liquid and it is supposed to use heat, the swirling effect of the water and washing up liquid to clean the oven.

I believe that either this is too much water or it should be warm because the oven does not heat it up at all (well maybe very slightly). The information they provide seems to be - shall we say - sketchy and inaccurate. I am thinking about trying it again when I use the machine later on with perhaps 7cm of water, which is about half full, and see what happens.

Can anyone shed any light on the correct procedure please?

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Self cleaning - think info is wrong - any ideas?

Post  Admin on 25.11.09 22:29

Hi,
I have a JML and this is the instruction I was given

Self-cleaning - ‘Wash’
The Halogen Oven has a special self-cleaning setting ‘Wash’ on the temperature control, which should be used to wash the glass bowl:
1. Remove any food and drain away any fat from the glass bowl.
2. Allow the Halogen Oven to cool.
3. Add approximately 1.5cm of cold water into the glass bowl with a squirt of washing up liquid. Replace the glass lid and turn the temperature control to ‘Wash’.
4. Set the time control to 10 - 15 minutes, depending on how dirty the glass bowl is.
The combination of the heat, the swirling motion caused by the fan and the washing up liquid will clean the glass bowl quickly and efficiently.
The cooking racks can be left in the glass bowl when cleaning to soften any stuck on deposits.
5. Allow the Halogen Oven to cool.
6. You may need to use a washing up brush to remove stubborn deposits before rinsing
and wiping dry.

I am sure in the TV commercial the lady used boiling water fron a kettle instead of cold water

Could it be 1.5 cm of water - may be?

Can someone else clarify this please Question

Thanks

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

'Wash' Function

Post  wimplebum on 25.11.09 22:41

Thanks Reeta I will try that. I used it for bacon and eggs (boiled eggs) which worked well. I nearly burned a pie because I didnt realise that more than 8 minutes is too long ha ha ha.

I tried 5cm water which is still too much but it did get warmish. I'll give it a go next time with 1.5cm water.

Thank you

wimplebum

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda53 on 28.11.09 13:53

I have a flavourwave and have also found the wash function a bit useless. My instruction manual says to use tap water but doesn't say if it should be hot or cold. Have tried cold and the flavourwave doesn't heat it up at all so just now I'm trying hot tap water. I'm now assuming that by saying tap water the intention is that hot kettle water isn't used. Bit of a 'washout' really, ha! ha! lol!

Linda53

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Wash Cycle

Post  wimplebum on 30.11.09 21:52

Many thanks folks. It appears that it should be 1.5cm of water - and I have got better results using hand-hot water. For me that comes from the kettle because we do not have hot water in this house (cant wait to move).

If you use hot water from the kettle you do have to be careful because if its too hot and the bowl, being glass, is cold it will break. An old wives tale that does work is if you put something metal into it - a spoon, knife, something like that, it should help prevent this happening. It works in glasses, so I would think it would work here too. Smile

wimplebum

Back to top Go down

self clean

Post  LINIAN on 01.12.09 17:29

Hi
As you say, I put warm water from the tap in mine with washing up liquid and just put it on wash for 10-15 mins. It cleans no problem. still have to carry to sink to empty the water though, and it is quite heavy. I am terrified of dropping it!!! Very Happy

LINIAN

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Carrying bowl to sink

Post  wimplebum on 01.12.09 21:35

Hi Linian, if your oven comes in a stand, you might find that the stand has 'handles' to carry it with. I found that mine, which is an easylife machine has recesses under the stand, so I leave the top on the work surface and carry the stand to the sink in the stand. Feels much more secure that way. Like you, I am very nervous of dropping the bowl, especially as I live in a bedsit and the kitchenette is one side of the room and the sink is at the foot of the bed - you can imagine, I really dont want to drop the bowl in here.

I found this to be much more secure than just carrying the bowl across, and by carrying the lid seperately its much less heavy.

wimplebum

Back to top Go down

Post  LINIAN on 01.12.09 22:07

thanks for that - will do

LINIAN

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

cleaning the oven

Post  elephantchild on 28.12.09 20:18

i use an inch of quite hot water dont let this boil dry Smile watch it swirl 5mins approx switch off wipe with tissues sometimes the bowl goes in dishwasher gets more sparkly but the first is hygenic no problems not keen on washing up liquid prefer heat

elephantchild

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 17.01.10 17:20

A brilliant idea to carry the bowl across in its holder, I too find it heavy to carry to the sink and am terrified of breaking it. I shall do this in future!

mo

THANK YOU : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 17.01.10 17:21

A brilliant idea to carry the bowl across in its holder, I too find it heavy to carry to the sink and am terrified of breaking it. I shall do this in future!

mo

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 17.01.10 17:21

mo

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 28.01.10 23:18

mo wrote:A brilliant idea to carry the bowl across in its holder, I too find it heavy to carry to the sink and am terrified of breaking it. I shall do this in future!

Thank you Mo. We've heard you lol! fell off chair

clown

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  npower1 on 10.02.10 23:32

Some thoughts on the automatic cleaning process.

Every way of cooking produces fumes which is why you have to clean ovens and the use of extractor fans in kitchens. Within the confines of an oven, either a traditional or a HO, the fumes leave particles on surfaces. The same happens when using your HO. So the glass bowl and the glass part of the top accumulate particles making them dirty. The glass part of the halogen light in your HO is sensitive to contamination which is why all handbooks emphasis don't touch the glass of the halogen light. The halogen part of your HO is glass so why does this major part not get covered in dirt. This is where I'm going to speculate. The heat of the halogen light is such that when it is on physics, or possibly chemistry, is why particles don't attach themselves to the glass of the halogen element, but they do attach themselves to all the other glass parts. This leads to the necessity of cleaning. The automatic cleaning process works in two ways. It is assumed, and seems to be the practical case, that the majority of particles accumulate at the bottom of the glass bowl. Water and detergent separates the particles from that part of the glass bowl under the water since the temperature of the water is close to boiling. Any particles that have stuck to other parts of glass, both the bowl and the lid are loosened by steam. This is why the instructions on cleaning include the word and imply the activity of rinsing. The idea of rinsing is to use water as a means of flushing out those particles that are alomost loose.

But there are two problems here which are specific to your HO. The glass bowl is heavy so filling it with water and then emptying it is a task we don't want to, maybe shouldn't, try. This is why I have previously suggested using kitchen towel to remove the loosened particles from the glass bowl. The lid, or more precisely the glass that is associated with the halogen lamp must not be immersed in water so the other glass parts have to be cleaned by removing the dirt using a dry mechanism, that is kitchen towel.

One final point. As with every cleaning method the longer between cleaning activities the harder it is to achieve the desired result. This appears to be the same in the HO case, in particular the lid requires the most attention.

Inspiration: The preceding text is part of the result of experimenting with the produce of the supermarket frozen food section.

npower1

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 11.02.10 10:00

Yes, you must have heard me Reeta! Don't know why my post appeared 3 times, sorry about that, I don't know how that happened.

mo

Back to top Go down

Post  justjoh on 18.06.11 14:13

my booklet says 15cm of water -doesn't say heat it first or anything- it just looked wrong from the tv, 15cm is 6inches, and it filled the bowl to the brim! I joined this forum to find out what it should be. the instructions are pathetic. I've had the oven over 2 years now but never used it cos not enough info/recipes etc. I just bought the Sarah Fowler book and she says 'a little water' that's what made me realise 15cm was crazy, problem is I think in inches I am 63 and spent my life thinking like this its very difficult to realise it should be 1.5 cm. If it had said 6 inches I would have known it was wrong!anyway alls well now and inspired by the everyday halogen cookbook I am going to try and make a bit of toast in it today! just got to wash it first. jo

justjoh

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 18.06.11 14:27

Welcome Jo

Welcome

We all joined here because of lack of/innacurate info.

When cleaning allow the bowl to cool first then use 1-2 inches of cold water and a little washing up liquid. On the cleaning/thaw cycle my oven heats the water over the 10-15 minutes that I give it and cleaning is then really easy.

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 20:43

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum