Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

ready to stew

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ready to stew

Post  ellebob on 08.11.10 13:55

Hi
Bought my halogen oven on saturday but not used it yet......hoping for inspiration from this forum!
My oven is a PROlectrix infra chef 7litre halogen oven.
have had it out of the box and would really like to do a stew for tea tonight if i can find a recipe that shows me what to do!!
Smile cant wait to get goin!!
ellebob

ellebob

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Re: ready to stew

Post  hummingbird on 08.11.10 15:47

hi ellebob
Just seen your post although I've not cooked in my oven yet i have been told that what follows below turns out great.... Good Luck
Pre heat oven follow manufactors instruction.
chop carrots leeks etc place into casserole dish (chek it fits Very Happy )do as you would for your usual cass i.e wine gravy cook at 200c for 60 mins stir every 10 mins. food ready when veg soft and meat cooked. hope this helps chef GOOD LUCK!!!! Let me know how it goes (BUT only if it good)

hummingbird

THANK YOU : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 08.11.10 16:55

Hi and welcome Ellebob

Welcome

Thanks for the above, Hummingbird - I'm glad to see you're not so shy !!!

I have the 7 litre model too Ellebob - as Hummingbird points out, make sure your casserole dish fits. If it doesn't you can cook directly in the bottom of the oven, but the cooking time will be quite a bit longer as the hot air can't circulate underneath.

Unfortunately no-one has yet posted their tried and tested recipe for a HO stew. Use this link to a post by Reeta which contains a link to a stew recipe. Sometimes longer and slower cooking can benefit the results.

http://halogenovenrecipes.forumotion.com/request-a-recipe-f5/has-anyone-a-recipe-for-beef-stew-t344.htm#1106

Good Luck

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  ellebob on 10.11.10 16:37

well i tried the stew and it didn't go fantastically!
the meat was very nice and so to the gravy......but the veg was rather aldente!! (ok.....virtually raw carrots and parsnips!)
i think where i went wrong was that i didnt have a casserole pot small enough, and so had to do it in the main glass bowl. after 2 hours on full it had cooked the meat but not the veg Sad
oh well, on a plus not i tried scones and these were perfect!! nom nom!!
will carry on and try more recipes!!

ellebob

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 10.11.10 22:30

Hi Ellebob

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Sorry about your stew. Crying or Very sad
It does seem that hard veg like carrots, parsnips etc take longer than meat to cook in the HO - I'm glad that at least your meat was very nice. Most recipes that I can find seem to be softening the veg by either frying till soft on the hob or cooking in oil on a baking tray in a hot HO for 5-10 minutes before adding to the casserole. Don't let this put you off, we have all got there with a bit of trial and error.

Perfect scones sound like just the thing to lift your spirits again and please do keep on trying more recipes - if you need help, just ask, we will try to help where we can.

Chef

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  ellebob on 11.11.10 18:23

will keep on trying no fear!!!
tonight i'm going to try toad in the hole.......and have already got some cheese scones in the ho while i write this!
at least the other half likes scones!! haha!

ellebob

Back to top Go down

Post  susan309 on 14.11.10 10:53

Im also new to halogen oven i have the prolectrix 12l oven - i think you have answered one of my questions regarding whether you can cook directly in the glass bowl so thank you - as regards the stew i do quite a few in the slow cooker and i just microwave the potatoes carrots and leeks etc for 6 or 7 minutes then add them at the start and they are perfect so when i do a stew i will do the same and let you know how it goes.

susan309

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Evenstar on 06.04.11 0:11

On my boat I have a slow cooker and microwave. The HO was bought to replace the oven and gas hob. Not sure i've made the right decision as I thought it would replace the slow cooker too for stews, curries etc. :confused:

Evenstar

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 06.04.11 17:58

Hi Evenstar

Only you know what you want from your HO. I use mine in my caravan. It is a very efficient oven and grill but personally I couldn't do without my hob.

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Doreena on 09.12.11 17:45

HI im Doreena is it safe to cook in the halogen dish or do i need to put a dish inside to cook stew I\'m new here

Doreena

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 10.12.11 7:20

Doreena wrote:HI im Doreena is it safe to cook in the halogen dish or do i need to put a dish inside to cook stew I\'m new here

Hi Doreena,

it's best to cook your stew in another dish placed on the low rack. You need hot air to circulate all around the stew for even cooking.

If you have to cook a really large amount then you can cook it directly in the halogen oven bowl but you must stir it often.

Hope this helps

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 10.12.11 10:22

Welcome Doreena

junie

Back to top Go down