Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

slow cooking

View previous topic View next topic Go down

slow cooking

Post  Frederick on 11.09.10 10:03

Hi all.... in the bad old days I always cooked my meat by the slow method... that is I just inserted a meat thermometer probe into the joint,set the oven temp to 75deg and let it cook until the meat internal temp. was 70 deg.(for beef well done).
Now I have a JML HO and I am wondering if it is possible to use the same proceedure as any meat is so tender when "slow cooked" . The problem of course is that the temp. dial does not go down to 75
Has anyone please got any ideas.....

Take care all..... Frederick

Frederick

THANK YOU : 6

Back to top Go down

Re: slow cooking

Post  Gouranga on 11.09.10 10:23

Hi Frederick

What's the temperature on the thaw setting? Perhaps cooking on the thaw setting would do the job. But is it necessary with this cooker, I wonder?

Please let me know how you get on... cool

Gouranga

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 11.09.10 12:39

Hi Frederick and Gouranga

I reckon the thaw setting on my oven is probably just under 100C but I have produced lovely moist joints in the HO at 'regular' temperatures. They have been much nicer than in my 'big' oven.

I would be interested in how you get on if you do decide to try the slow cooking method. Very Happy

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Frederick on 12.09.10 9:39

Hi all.... many thanks for the speedy replies...I do agree that cooking meat in the HO produces a better joint than in a traditional oven.. BUT... why. I think that is a good question. When all is said and don both methods are ONLY the application of heat and nothing else EXCEPT..... the heat is applied much closer andthat is the only difference.
Let us open up this topic as I think it is a very interesting point.
In passing I do aree that meat cooked in a HO IS betterthan in a normal oven.

Take care all.... Frederick

Frederick

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 12.09.10 11:15

Hi Frederick

My humble theory on this is that because the oven is smaller, and the meat is sealed inside, it retains the moisture much better.

Any other thoughts on this subject??? Question

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Frederick on 13.09.10 10:45

Hi all...I have been giving this some thought and my 86 year old brain has tht following comments...
Firstly what are the differences between traditional ovens and the HO

1) the oven as has already pointed out is smaller
2)the source of heat is very much closer
3)the type of heat applied is different.
I do not think 1 would make a difference but I think 2 certainly would and and 3 is very possible.

The heat application in a HO is almost instantanious and much closer therefore sealing the meat instantly whereas in a trad. oven it is a much gentler process.
As regards 3 I am afraid I do not know anything about halogen radiation to comment but I do think that item 2 will be the answer.
Mind you it is a good topic of converstaion isn't it.

Take care all.... Frederick

Frederick

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 13.09.10 12:43

Hi Frederick,

I have been thinking about it for a while and now my brain is totally grilled or on fire or something like that ...

where did I put that fire extinguisher?

I let this clever person explains it all to you
Please click here to read info

sunny

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  TerryJ on 14.09.10 15:14

Hi Frederick - hoping to get my HO this week, but I've been pondering your question too.....(obviously far too much time on my hands.......)

It would make sense that direct intense heat would seal the flavours in - just like browning meat before stewing, and the smaller size would contain those flavours and juices too.

Point 3 could also be very valid....when I was studying food sciences, we were told the closer the food is to flame source, the tastier....

So that's why bbq meat or toast done on an open fire is lovely, and a gas roasted joint is slightly tastier than electric oven cooked.

But that doesn't explain halogen, which has no flame....

But there we are...life's a mystery eh?

Very good link Reeta.....lots of great info Very Happy

TerryJ

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  els87 on 20.09.10 23:03

Hi,from what I understand meat cooks better and stays moist because the oven is infer
-red so cooks from inside out also has hot air circulateing so very even temp and the haligen bulb wattage means you dont have to cook for as long and if you use the racks the fats and juicies got to bottom so the meat isnt sitting stewing.Hope that makes sense and helps.I wouldnot be without mine and it does great toast.lol

els87

THANK YOU : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  Frederick on 21.09.10 9:08

Hi all....as I understand it the bulb is filled with halogen gas and I do not think it is infra red. I have noted tho that when cooking lamb the fat starts to cook very early. I also do notthink it cooks from the inside as I have traced the internal temp almost from cold and for a time when the outside is well done the internal temp is 50deg ( measured with an internal meat thermometer )
I think that the reason is that the meat or whatever is subjected to intene heat from the word go... this would seal the meat therefore retaining the juices.
However whatever the reason an HO does a smashing job.

Take care all and best regards.... Frederick Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Frederick

Back to top Go down

Post  els87 on 21.09.10 11:22

Sorry Frederick but I think you will find that Halagen oven bulbs have emmitters for infra-red,the manual I have with my oven states it cooks from inside out and I would tend to think they where right otherwise they would have a trades discription fight on there hands lol

els87

THANK YOU : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 21.09.10 12:39

Hi els87

Your post intrigued me because my halogen oven cooks from the outside in like Fredericks.
I found that some models work with a combination of infrared and halogen technology like the Flavorwave Turbo for example. You must have one of these combination ovens - I didn't get that much technology for my £27.99. Very Happy

I googled infrared cooking and this is what I found with a link for further info.

Cooking with infrared ovens is a cross between using a microwave and a traditional oven. The infrared rays heat the food directly like the rays in a microwave do. The difference is that once they hit the food they cook it from the outside in. This results in foods that have a texture and crispness that are like those cooked in a conventional oven

Read more: Infrared Cooking - eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/infrared-cooking/#ixzz10A9RsEJl

I hope this helps to settle why some ovens are different.

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 19:44

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum