Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

How to roast a chicken with veg?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to roast a chicken with veg?

Post  makum101 on 28.09.09 20:27

After watching the TV infomercials I spotted an offer in Netto for a halogen oven in Netto for £29. Its a smallish one - 7 Litres, but as there is only the two of us and the dog I thought it was value for money.

Anyway I cooked a small 1Kg chicken on the low rack with some roast potatoes underneath today which turned out to be a disaster!

I followed the instructions in the booklet that came with the device. Placed the Potatoes (not parboiled - just raw) in the bottom of the glass bowl then put the low rack over them and popped in the whole chicken. Cooked it on 180 Degrees for the stated 35 minutes.

The chicken was cooked on the breast but the legs and lower parts were still pink and oozing blood when pricked. The roast potatoes were still raw.

In the end I ended putting the chicken back in for a further 30 minutes at a higher 200 degrees and did the spuds in the oven.

Any help on how to use this device to roast a chicken and potatoes would be great.

Also is it possible to bake Yorkshire Puddings in it?

Also on the box it states "auto clean" although i have seen them do this in the infomercials but my booklet doesn't explain how to do it.

Many thanks in advance.

makum101

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Chicken

Post  Toddy123 on 10.10.09 13:33

My recipe book says: Chicken (1.6kg) temperature 200C, time 70 minutes. I'm going to do one later but I'm wondering if I ought to wrap it in foil for the first half of 70 minutes. It also says: Par boil potatoes ans simmer for 3-4 minutes then drain and toss them in goose fat or olive oil and place them under the chicken with the veg... let you know how I got on tomorrow. Very Happy

Toddy123

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Recipes ....

Post  Jan S on 27.10.09 13:52

Here are links to a couple of simple recipe books. There is a Chicken & Veg in the first one

http://idealworld.tv/common/downloads/Halogen_Oven_Recipe_Book.pdf

http://morningware.com/Manual/Recipe.pdf or http://morningware.com/Manual/Cooking_Chart.pdf

Jan S

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Thank you

Post  Admin on 27.10.09 15:08

Excellent

Thank you Jan

Where have you been all this time ? Smile

Reeta

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Re: How to roast a chicken with veg?

Post  crazzycat on 06.11.09 12:22

wow i was looking fo that kind of recipe thanks a lot!!!
---------------

crazzycat

Back to top Go down

Thank you

Post  Bizzy Bee on 18.11.09 10:47

Hi thanks for the links, very helpful, was begining to think i had waisted more money,! have you tried yorkshire puddings in Halagen oven? many thanks Barbara :cheers:

Bizzy Bee

Back to top Go down

Roasting whole chicken

Post  wimplebum on 30.11.09 22:16

Hi, I followed my recipe for cooking a chicken and found that it cooked the top and not the bottom, so I turned it over and cooked the other side.

Reeta put a link for a recipe book on the forum and it also says to cook the chicken about half the time and turn over and finish off. Seems to be the right way forward. Only thing is, if appearance is important, dont do what I did and put it breast up during the first half then turn it over, you'll end up with lines from the rack on it and it does detract a bit from the appearance ;o)

Not tried with vegetables in yet because the chicken was 1.5Kg and didnt leave much space. It is a 7 litre one, so I thought would be able to but nope. Had to do them seperately.

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  juneychandler on 14.04.10 13:30

I or should I say my Hubby loves the "Chicken Oven" as he calls it. I take a medium chicken , par boil some potatoes (Mais Piper) and put them under the small rack , put the chicken in , Upside Down, switch the oven on to 180C for 45 mins and walk away, after 45 mins come back and "Flip the Bird" :P he! he! and another 45 mins , but sprinkle a little chicken oxo on to the skin and then another 45 mins ....... Ping! Perfect, mind you we do need running shoes on in our house as its a race to get in to the Kitchen ... Yummy Crispy and ready to serve x Very Happy

juneychandler

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  deedee55 on 19.11.10 17:17

Hi, thanks for the information i bought the same one today in Netto, but it didnt have any information in it, as im usually on my own i thought it was an ideal size i will be trying it sunday to roast a chicken, hopefully it will cook hope the same thing doesnt happen to me as im new to the halogen oven.

deedee55

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 19.11.10 17:46

Hi and welcome deedee55

welcome

If you type roast chicken into the search box you will find all the previous posts and recipes (or simply go to the recipe A-Z and find the recipes there under C ). If you read these you should have a very tasty chicken avoiding some of the errors.

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

recipe book

Post  dotty on 28.11.10 18:48

Thanks so much for the link to the recipe book...now I may be able to actually use my halogen oven!!! Thanks again Dotty

dotty

Back to top Go down

thanx junie i had to cut the chicken in half as weighe 2 and half kilos and wouldnt fit in but it tasted yummy! ive been using my ho for cooking lasagnes thanx for the advise!

Post  deedee55 on 28.11.10 18:56

junie wrote:Hi and welcome deedee55 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
welcome

If you type roast chicken into the search box you will find all the previous posts and recipes (or simply go to the recipe A-Z and find the recipes there under C ). If you read these you should have a very tasty chicken avoiding some of the errors.

deedee55

Back to top Go down

Post  deedee55 on 28.11.10 18:59

thanx junie it worked with chicken cut in hal as was very large trying other dishes now the dauphanoise potatoes came out crispt and most underneath and cooked quicker,thanx for the advise

deedee55

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 29.11.10 11:05

Hi Deedee55

I'm glad you have found the forum helpful. Very Happy

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 11.12.10 16:07

I find my chicken and roasts cook perfectly. I put the chicken breast down on the top rack (bottom rack doesn't seem to help cooking the undersides of anything) and put my extender ring (a boon) on top. Dip halved raw potatoes in olive oil and add around the chicken, cut sides up. After 30-35 minutes I turn everything up the other way and cook for another 3-35 minutes. Ever since the first time I tried it, I've never had a problem.

mo

THANK YOU : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  LPK on 01.01.11 12:22

Maybe it's just the oven, but I haven't had a problem with the chicken not being cooked and I don't flip it; I usually buy the 1800 gr size. However, I cook it on it's own, so maybe that helps since the air can freely circulate all around--and under--the chicken.

Also, when roasting a chicken, I completely rub it down in olive or rapeseed oil; I then mix fresh ground pepper, salt, onion and garlic powder, and a bit of crushed chicken oxo cube and rub that mixture all over (sometimes I also add a bit of finely chopped* thyme, or rosemary to the mix). The chicken cooks to the most beautiful colour and is so crispy. I've always hated chicken skin, but I love it done this way (there goes my diet). However, since I don't have an extender ring, I do shift the chicken to the side and turn the lid a bit if it starts to get too brown in places.

*Note, the reason I finely chop my herbs is that larger pieces tend to burn if they're close to the light.

LPK

Back to top Go down

Post  DiWalker on 01.01.11 21:34

I assume you put the chicken on the bottom ring but for how log and what temperature please? I am new to this and haven't tried very much yet. You say you haven't got an extender ring but would you use it for roast chicken if you had? My oven came with one but at the moment I am uncertain hen I should use it and. when not. Thanks.

DiWalker

Back to top Go down

Post  LPK on 01.01.11 23:01

Hi DiWalker, I cook everything around 180/190 and I think I cook it about 90 mins., but then I don't really time, but by look--and when it gets a really nice brown and the skin is almost crackling, it's done.

And yes, if I had an extender ring I would use it, then it might save me from having to shift it around. One time I tried putting a strip of tinfoil down the middle so it wouldn't get too brown, but with the circulating air, it kept blowing it up to the light so I removed the strip and just kept shifting. I will say that if I could only use my oven for cooking a chicken and nothing else, it would still be worth every cent I paid--but I also think the trick is rubbing it down with oil.

LPK

Back to top Go down

Post  LPK on 01.01.11 23:11

Oh, and yes I use the bottom rack. I don't know how your oven is configured, but mine opens from the top, so when I want to remove the chicken, I insert the end of a wooden spoon into the cavity (unstuffed)of the chicken, allow it to drain a bit and then lift it out--I can't get the tongs to work. Also, if I'm cooking smaller stuff on the bottom rack, I turn the top rack upside down (so the legs are sticking up) and put it on top of the bottom rack (doesn't increase the height), and then I can just grasp the legs to pick up the rack in order to lift the food out. (Does that make sense?)

LPK

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post  DiWalker on 02.01.11 13:32

Thanks so much for your help. Chicken certainly seems to be one of the favourite foods I will give it a try in a day or two Di

DiWalker

Back to top Go down

Post  davidbradley on 02.01.11 15:07

Hi
I have just bought my oven(married man working away) my first meal is roast chicken, it's 1.8kg, and I am trying 1 hour at 170c.
It is half way through and is looking good. Could you experts out there help me with what to do next time with putting the veg in with the bird.

I will let you know how the bird does

Happy cooking

David

davidbradley

Back to top Go down

Post  audrie on 03.01.11 15:45

Thank you for this at least I can cook a chicken dinner and chips, so will be trying out these receipes. I think a lot is trial and error, once you have got some guidlines then it helps. Why you don't get a litle book with a few starter menus??? I do not know.
audriex

audrie

Back to top Go down

Post  lavlark on 16.01.11 14:53

Many thanks for recipe down load and other tips found- I knew this site would be useful.

Regards Val

lavlark

Back to top Go down

Roasting chicken

Post  Guest on 17.05.11 0:37

I roasted a 2 kilo chicken with potatoes and carrots, must admit it was the first time with HO. As there was precious little of any use in the manual I worked on the 20 min per 1lb and 20 mins extra in a regular oven, took my total time divided by 4 thought I try 3/4 time, popped in the pots and carrots for the last 25 mins and all was perfect much to my amazement I must add!!! Now this is probable all wrong but it worked for me lol.

Regards Caz

Back to top Go down

Roast chicken.

Post  littlegreendragon on 17.05.11 12:57

I got my halogen a few weeks ago (JML). First thing I did was pop a chicken in. Cooked it for 70 minutes (didn't turn it or anything). Best chicken we have ever had, beautiful crispy skin and the meat just fell off the bone and was so moist. I am disabled and this was the first thing I have cooked for 5 yrs! Very very impressed.

littlegreendragon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 22:25

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum