Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Not doing at all well with my new halogen oven

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Not doing at all well with my new halogen oven

Post  Trixie Trow on 22.06.10 17:14

I'm afraid I am not doing at all well with my new halogen cooker!

I have tried numerous times to bake a cake. I have made two fruit cakes; a Lemon drizzle cake and a Victoria sponge. Apart from the Victoria sponge. the others were complete disasters.

I did the Victoria sponge two ways as an experiment. I put half in a ceramic Pirex dish and the other half in a small 6" aluminium sponge tin.

The Pirex dish had the same trouble, still wet in the middle.I removed it from its dish and turned it upside and returned it to the oven for a further ten minutes. It did the trick and came out like crispy biscuit on the outside and soft in the middle,(but dry); and I decided raher than waste it I will make a trifle with it at the weekend.

The other half came out as it was intended, like a Victoria sponge cake!!! Yippee!!! I have at last sussed it I think. However the fruit cake remains a complete mystery I am afraid.

I feel cheated a bit, because all the adverts and videos say that you can bake lovely light cakes and sponges and bread. Crying or Very sad Regards to all

Trixie Trow

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 22.06.10 19:59

Hi Joyce

On a positive note, I'm glad you sussed out your Victoria sponge clap

I note from your other post that you have read about using a ring tin or similar for fruit cake. I haven't tried it myself unfortunately but hopefully other members will reply and try to help.

There is a recipe for a small lemon drizzle cake on the A-Z which may help with that. Some members have tried a lower temperature for longer on their baking with some success. It's a bit of trial and error but well worth it when you get it right.

Please keep us posted on how you get on - I'm sure there will be many more successes for you. Good Luck

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 22.06.10 22:23

Hi Joyce,

When I bake cake in the halogen oven I use the extender ring otherwise the top of the cake will get too dark too quick and inside the middle remains wet.

Place the cake tin on the low rack to allow heat to circulate

I do preheat the oven for about 5 minutes before putting the cake in.

Another tip is to cook it on a lower temperature for a bit longer.

chef

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  Trixie Trow on 23.06.10 17:47

Hi!
Many thanks to both Junie and Reeta for their kind advice.

I hadn't thought of using the extender ring but it does make sense doesn't it? I will definitely try it and will let you know how I go on.

Today I came into contact with two people who have both got Halogen Cookers and are thrilled with them.. In fact one of them (a gent) told me he has three!!!

I haven't as yet had chance to look at the small lemon drizzle cake, Junie, as I have only just come on the internet, but I will have a look. If I decide to have a go, I will let you know how I fare!

Cheers both,
Joyce

Trixie Trow

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 13:37

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum