Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

What a waste of money

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What a waste of money

Post  Francesca on 16.06.10 9:21

My "wonderful" Halogen oven cooked perfect oven chips. Twice. It cooked perfect chicken pieces. Twice.

It then packed up.

What a waste of money it was. Yes I could return it, but the aggravation of boxing it up, getting someone to take it to the Post office for me to mail it to the suppliers, paying for their taxi and then the postage - it isn't worth the aggravation.

I should have listened to friends when they said not to buy one.

You folk who say their Halogen Ovens have lasted for years? I've heard more bad things in the last couple of weeks than I have heard good.

So. Anyone want a virtually new but totally dead small Halogen Oven? Only we don't even have a dump here where it can be taken.

Oh, and I've got three Halogen Oven cookbooks which I bought, new, from Amazon, which I will be happy to give away.

Francesca

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: What a waste of money

Post  Admin on 16.06.10 13:51

Sorry to hear that Francesca.

You only bought your HO in April so it should still be under guarantee. Have you contacted the place where you bought it?

Most sellers would send you a return label/ticket so you won't have to pay for the postage cost to return it. You will also get a new replacement.

Where did you hear about the bad things regarding the HO?
I would really like to read what problems people have been getting with theirs.

regards

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  Francesca on 16.06.10 14:03

I bought the HO from a company who advertise various stuff in the little catalogue I get each month with my credit card statement. They occasionally have these "too good to be true" bargains, which the following month are advertised, and presumably not sold, at the large price that these "bargains" were supposed to be before the reductions.

Sending back something? The company aren't interested as they say "well, it was a very reduced item", in other words you pays your money and takes your chance.

The bad things I heard were on a Food messageboard on which I am a member. The number of people who have bought a HO, had it pack up within the guarantee period, had it replaced, only for the replacement to also pack up. One person had no less than three replacements for her original one, none of which lasted more than six months.

This, of course, I didn't know at the time I bought mine, or I would not have bought it. I never tried the one I first bought a couple of years ago, because it was so big and heavy I had nowhere to put it for use, and couldn't lift it in any case. It was also a 15 litre one and not 5 litres as I'd thought.

So I have no idea whether in fact that one worked or not, but I've seen it advertised sporadically since then, at a very high price.

So far I haven't seen the little one advertised again. If I do and it's at the stupidly cheap price I paid for this one, I might take a chance and buy another. In which case I'll have a spare bowl and stand from the dead one. The lid has to be dumped in anycase, as it is as dead as the proverbial dodo.

Pity really, as it was the ideal size to cook just one portion of oven chips... madsmileys

Francesca

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 16.06.10 16:25

Hi Francesca

I am sorry that you have had this experience. Under The Sale of Goods Act items need to be fit for the purpose for which they were sold (whether reduced or not). You are entitled to a refund or a replacement. Also if you paid by credit card, the card issuer may help (although the value in this case is probably too low).

I suspect you don't want the hassle but I would be angry and would be reporting the seller to Trading Standards. Poor customer service makes my blood boil.

All the best whatever you decide

June

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 17.06.10 14:42

Francesca wrote:So far I haven't seen the little one advertised again. If I do and it's at the stupidly cheap price I paid for this one, I might take a chance and buy another.

In that case Francesca don't give your 3 recipe books away. You will need them.
Eating

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  Francesca on 17.06.10 14:56

There's another HO advertised this month - I'm not sure if it's from the same company, but [a] it's a 13 litre one and [b] it costs a fortune.

I'm in no hurry, so I'll wait, and as I said, if the small one is advertised again at the very low price I paid for my now useless one, I'll consider whether it's worth taking the risk again.

It's not just the books - I'd found a place which sells disposable round aluminium pie dishes [actually slightly deeper than a normal pie dish] which were the ideal size for the little HO, costing about £2 for 50......

Francesca

Back to top Go down

Post  brocklesby on 17.07.10 9:38

Francesca,
Do not give up on this.
I am a chef, and all this new technology is new to me.
I bought a JLM oven and experimented with recipes that I use.
They all turned out pretty good, but i did have some problems.
My halogen element died on me after about 3 months, I used the oven constantly. JLM replaced the whole lid on mine after a lot of hassle.
I have a recipe forum here and all the recipes have been done in the oven and all have come out OK.
Do not give up.
Eric

brocklesby

THANK YOU : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Francesca on 17.07.10 10:23

brocklesby wrote:Francesca,
Do not give up on this.
Eric
Well. The HO had been sitting in my spare room, waiting to see if another one of the same was advertised, so I could keep the base and bowl as spares.

Your message just came through so I went to check the HO again one last time, before disposing of the lid, just keeping the base and the bowl...

...and the light came on and it started working. I am now totally confused as to why it stopped working and is now working again.

confused

Needless to say I am delighted but am concerned in case it stops working again, as I don't know why it did in the first place. But if the same size is advertised again, at the same price, I will definitely buy another one.

I think...

Francesca

Back to top Go down

Post  brocklesby on 17.07.10 10:33

What I suggest you do is experiment with the oven for a couple of days. Cook a chicken breast in the oven, brush with a little oil and sprinkle some herbs over the breast. cook one side for approx 10 minutes, then turn it over and and cook for another 10 minutes. check that it is cooked through. try a pork chop and a good quality steak. Do the same with these by turning them. the steak should not need the same amount of cooking time depending how you like it.
Let us know how you get on and if the oven is working OK.

brocklesby

THANK YOU : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 17.07.10 17:35

I love my JLM, had it for 8 months now, never a minute's trouble with it, have learned to use it by trial and error but never had a real failure, just more or less follow instructions for a fan oven. Don't give up, it's worth persevering.

mo

THANK YOU : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  rtbcomp on 24.09.10 16:27

Did you have the handle down fully when you were cooking?

There is a switch in the handle to switch it off when you lift the top off.

Also (get someone competent to) check the wiring & fuse in the plug are secure.

rtbcomp

THANK YOU : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  autumn on 28.09.10 16:11

the element on my halogen oven went after 4 months, luckily i live only half hour drive to their south shields depot, i was told too take it back and received a new one in 10 days .

autumn

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Affordable Extended Warranty

Post  valkyrtb on 24.11.10 15:23

Hi,

Reading the various posts on the internet I was somewhat alarmed by the instances of halogen element failure so I've bought mine from Argos with 3 year cover for an extra tenner. Hopefully I won't need it but I consider it well worth the money for the extra peace of mind.

I took out their extra cover on a glass kettle one time as it seemed fragile - didn't break the glass but the pretty illumination effect kept failing - Argos gave me 4 replacements during the cover period - no hassle,just take back the faulty unit for an instant exchange, even upgraded the model when the original was discontinued. Great customer service and a very affordable insurance/extended warranty deal. So I'm hoping my new HO will have a similar 3 year protected life

I\'m new here

valkyrtb

THANK YOU : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 24.11.10 15:55

Hi and welcome valkyrtb

welcome

I like to hear of good customer service - all too often it's the tales of woe that we hear about.

The 3 year guarantee is well worth the money but JML is the only manufacturer offering it at the moment.

Good luck with your new oven and thank you for joining the forum.

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  valkyrtb on 24.11.10 16:11

Cheers,

Just to clarify

The 3 year cover I took out is the option offered by Argos and is available on any of the Halogen Ovens they stock

party time

valkyrtb

THANK YOU : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 24.11.10 16:35

Hi Valkyrtb

Thanks for the clarification - that's good to know. Very Happy

junie

Back to top Go down