Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

First Roast - Outdoor reared pork shoulder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First Roast - Outdoor reared pork shoulder

Post  bluddyelle on 09.05.10 11:46

Rolled pork joint with cracking/fat layer.
Weight: approx 800-900gms

What I did - put the joint crackling-side down in a large Pyrex pudding bowl on HO floor. Cooked from chilled hence the longer cooking time.

40 mins at 250C rotating joint half way through and at the end.
60 mins at 200C rotating joint half way through and at the end.
30 mins at 175C with crackling uppermost.
Then 20mins at 150C because I am paranoid.

Joint uncovered throughout - regular turning meant that the joint was basted in the meat juices at the bottom of the bowl.

Take Pyrex bowl out of HO and meat out of dish, rest under foil for 10mins before cutting. I cut the fat/crackling off and then thickly sliced the meat.Unbelievably tender and moist. Stirred gravy mix and boiling water into meat juices left in bowl for gravy.

I'll portion this up and pour some gravy on before freezing. I'll get 5 good servings out of this for around £3.00*

* Sainsburys Outdoor-Reared Rare Breed Rolled Pork Shoulder - it was on offer and reduced/sell by in my local store.

Pros - lovely moist meat yet crispy crackling, no messy oven, juices in one bowl - easy to make a good gravy/fit in fridge for chilling to skim off fat.

Cons - 'prolly took longer than in an oven but quality much nicer and even taking as long as it did - far cheaper than using gas/oven for one dish.

Would have probably taken less time if meat started at room temp rather than chilled and if I was more confident about the meat being cooked all the way through. I did pierce the joint after the 60mins cooking but the juices were rose-y instead of clear so I erred on the side of caution!

Your comments on meat-cooking advice are welcome!

bluddyelle

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: First Roast - Outdoor reared pork shoulder

Post  Admin on 09.05.10 19:30

Thank you for sending your recipe B and also for this step by step instruction.

I am sure this will be very useful to members and on their behalf I thank you for taking the time to share it.

You are a you are a star

thank you

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 10.05.10 12:03

Thanks B free-happy-smileys-9

I'm glad this was a success for you. It may have taken some time but good things are worth waiting for.

I know you don't have an extender ring forcing you to cook in the bottom of your 7 litre oven and that, combined with the chilled meat, has added to your cooking time. It just shows that it can be done, though. I'll add your method to the A-Z o help others.

clap

A meat thermometer can help to take the guesswork out of the equation. When I was in Aldi last week, they still had some at £4.99 (mentioned in a previous post) - I've seen similar ones selling for around the £20 mark.

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  bluddyelle on 10.05.10 14:38

A meat thermometer can help to take the guesswork out of the equation. When I was in Aldi last week, they still had some at £4.99 (mentioned in a previous post) - I've seen similar ones selling for around the £20 mark.[/quote]

Oooh this sounds like just the thing!
Thank you

bluddyelle

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  lindysunshine on 07.07.10 15:18

I look forward to trying out roast pork, sounds real yummy. I think I will try extender ring, may cut down the cooking time a little. Thank you for sharing your success.

lindysunshine

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:39

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum