Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Salmon Fillets/PROlectrix 7L HO.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Salmon Fillets/PROlectrix 7L HO.

Post  bluddyelle on 04.05.10 15:01

Out of the freezer and into the microwave to defrost. These were 2 tail fillets - large and fairly flat as opposed to the usual long 'bar of soap' fillet. I put them skin down on a large piece of foil - drizzled a bit of groundnut oil on - and then just wrapped them into an envelope shape. I left the seam to open the foil packet at the top - so I could open it up later.

I put the salmon package directly on the bottom of my HO.
150C for 15 mins* and then another 5 with the foil packet open.

If you like a crispy skin I expect you'd need to flip them and put them on a dish atop the tall rack.

These turned out beautifully moist and cooked just-so. Still checked they were cooked all the way through at their thickest point (the flesh changes colour and loses it's slight transparency). Flesh melted off in great big moist flakes. A squirt of lemon juice - and these were ready to go with steamed jersey royals, peas and broccolli which I had on the hob at the same time.

Bonus! House didn't stink of fish! No messy clean up - just drained the fish juices off and straight into the recycling bin with the folded up foil.

* the 'manual' suggested this for fish (no weight or type given - no wonder I didn't bother with a pdf!). We eat a lot of salmon so I'll weigh/be a bit more exact next time.

I didn't know whether to put any of my cooking experiences in recipes as they include some operational observations and no real measurements! Thanks for your kind words!

bluddyelle

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: Salmon Fillets/PROlectrix 7L HO.

Post  junie on 04.05.10 17:16

Thanks again B for taking the time.

The salmon sounds lovely.

Would you mind just clarifying for me -did you put your salmon package on the floor of the oven or on the bottom rack?

free-happy-smileys-9

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  bluddyelle on 04.05.10 19:36

Hi Junie

On the floor of the HO. To be honest I find using the racks mean the top of the food can get scorched before the underneath is properly warmed through. This is fine if it is something you can turn over - not so good with something solid like a pie.

I'm finding that things really do need to start off at room temperature - or if this isn't practical with perishables - at least need the chill taking off in the microwave. Or maybe that's just me being paranoid about heating food all the way through. Unless it is thin and/or flippable - or something you can give a good stir - then it will get zapped from now on.

Also, and this might just be my smaller HO - I'm finding it really easy to tip/spill things with the racks - the slight curve to the base and little bits of condensation don't help! I'm clumsy enough and been scalded by steam often enough to prefer to put things on the oven floor with my wee HO!

I'm also finding that I don't have to make that big an adustment from the 'given' cooking times on the packet of whatever I'm cooking if I put it on the floor of the HO.

B

Last edited by bluddyelle on 04.05.10 19:40; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : making sense!)

bluddyelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 04.05.10 20:26

bluddyelle wrote:On the floor of the HO. To be honest I find using the racks mean the top of the food can get scorched before the underneath is properly warmed through.

That's when the extender ring plays its part B. If you have one try using/experimenting with it next time.

thank you for sharing

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 04.05.10 21:19

Hi B

Mine is a 7 litre HO also. I do make good use of the extender ring and I find that I reduce the given cooking temperature quite a lot too (10 - 20C - although not for items that cook quickly). Silicone gloves and long tongs help too.

I find the bottom of the oven so much cooler and prefer using the racks so that heat can circulate underneath the food. Your food will come up to room temperature no problem using the defrost/wash function for 10-15 minutes at a time then resting (much gentler than the microwave.

You do have to be quite creative with the smaller ovens as they really can be a bit tricky at times - complete meals can be a challenge!!! I try to place foil parcels of food on a circular baking tin that is small enough for the provided tongs to grab - the tongs grab the tins, with their edges, more easily than they grab the racks.

I hope some of this helps you Smile

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  bluddyelle on 05.05.10 20:22

Ah - I don't have an extender ring or the defrost/wash thing.
To be honest I can't ever see me doing a complete meal for both of us in the HO - I love my veg steamed and I don't eat meat whilst the other half does! There's not much we both eat (apart from salmon) so the HO is only ever going to replace puting the gas stove on for one of us or for a couple of jacket spuds. Thanks for the tips!

B

bluddyelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:52

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum