Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Yet another new user!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yet another new user!

Post  bluddyelle on 24.04.10 8:40

Hi All

Just waiting the arrival of my 7L Prolectrix HO - I haven't spotted any ref to this particular model on the forum - I'm hoping this means rare bird and not total turkey (futhermore - I'm veggie Laughing )

Will post any instructions in the relevant thread here on the forum once it arrives. I'm thinking it'll turn me into a bit of a Heston-Kitchen-Chemist Very Happy

My main motivation in buying a HO is to save on only using my oven when I have an oven-full, rather than a couple of jacket spuds. I'm so happy to see the recipes here are as much for the day-to-day eating as much as fancy eating!

I'm a total convert to steaming (the big baskets that fit over a pot of boiling water on the stove-top). Faster and better than the microwave (you can steam an awful lot of stuff simultaneously) and much better than the electric plug-in ones (I've tried both lo and hi-tech versions of these). I'm hoping my HO will get the daily use my beloved steamer gets. The real test will be if I try to take it on holiday with me!

Regards

B

Last edited by bluddyelle on 24.04.10 8:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : rubbish spulling lol)

bluddyelle

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: Yet another new user!

Post  junie on 24.04.10 11:13

Hello and welcome

welcome

I too have a 7l model and it gets used almost every day - certainly hasn't been a turkey for me. It is already established as essential in our touring caravan too.

Heston, eh ? I am looking forward to your experiments. Please let us know how you get on Laughing

I'm glad you have found the forum useful already. Keep us posted as it is only as good as it's contributions.

feedme

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  bluddyelle on 25.04.10 8:39

Oooh thank you Junie - I don't feel so alone now Smile
Can't wait for my HO to be delivered!
I shall feel so SMUG not needing to use my stove as much. Looking at stuff on the internet - it has a lot of things in common with home-brewing - people seem to be trying to cook the most unlikely things (folks often go thru a phase of making tea bag or compost bin scrap wine - just because you can get pretty much anything fermenting with a bit of yeast and warmth - doesn't mean it will be any good lol). I'm a simple soul who believes if you have the right quality ingredients - all will be well. I'm just looking to save a bit of cash (by not running a half-full stove) and to augment my usual routine. Kudos to those trying to make a 5 course meal in a HO - but an occasion (like Christmas) is stressful enough without breaking out a whole new method of cooking lol!

Looking forward to trying something new - and very grateful for this fine resource! Have a lovely Sunday all ...

B

bluddyelle

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 25.04.10 12:07

Hi B

Thanks for the kind words. Hope you are having a lovely Sunday too.

free-happy-smileys-9

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 25.04.10 15:24

Hi bluddyelle

You are right about the Prolectrix HO. You are the first to mention it here.

welcome to the forum

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  wimplebum on 25.04.10 17:15

Hiya B,

I have no idea what make my oven is - it was ordered by mail order and they sometimes change the names. It is a 7Litre oven and is absolutely brilliant. Cant remember the last time I used the main oven and very very rarely use the rings on the cooker either - everything is done in the Halogen or the Microwave.

Think you'll find it a great machine.

Enjoy using it Wink

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  bluddyelle on 26.04.10 13:07

Hello Reeta and John

I have been lurking behind the front door optimistically anticipating the arrival of my HO. Realistically, it probably wont be here before the end of the week Boo! So I'll have to be patient (always a first time!) madsmileys

Never mind - it'll give me a bit of time to put some hints/tips/recipes in my kitchen binder.

Hope you've all got some sunshine today!

B

bluddyelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bluddyelle on 26.04.10 17:52

OK - so from my browsing, am I right in thinking you should:

- put food in at room temp (like you would a slow cooker) or allow for warming-up from chilled in cooking time

- treat the HO as a substitute stove oven - i.e. it isn't a steamer/microwave/hob/
deep fat fryer/mystical cauldren(LOL)

- knock 20% off stove oven cooking times

- Use foil to shield/make browning more even

- realize that the closer to the lid, the quicker the food surface exposed to it will cook - and not all the way through a thick wedge of food

I just need to dig out some suitable containers to use in the meantime - I have some little steamer'flowers' (on legs) which I'm thinking might do a turn

Comments welcome Very Happy

bluddyelle

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 26.04.10 19:09

Hi B

You seem too have 'got with the plot' regarding HO's. clap

Temperature and timing are the tricky ones - I usually reduce the temperature 10-20C as a starting place and then tweak the times although I'm sure everyone has their own pet methods.

I have one of those folding steamer 'flower' things and hadn't thought of using it in my HO - thanks for the tip. free-happy-smileys-9

I hope your oven arrives soon as you are obviously keen to get started.

feedme

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  bluddyelle on 26.04.10 22:38

Hi Junie

Yes I'm excited about my new HO! I don't mind trial and error - it's a bit like tasting as you go and adjusting seasonings and so on! I had second thoughts about the little steamer baskets in terms of handling them ... I'm hoping that they wont be too awkward to fish out without opening and sending hot contents everywhere Shocked

I can see some of those coolskin oven gauntlets in my future!

I shall have a look next time I'm out shopping to see if I can get some tin foil pudding containers/takeaway container kind of things.

Thanks for your thoughts

B

bluddyelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:39

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum