Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Newbie from Ipswich UK

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newbie from Ipswich UK

Post  jennyl on 23.01.15 17:01

Hi everyone!  I'll start by saying that cooking isn't my favourite thing so I've bought a HO in the hope that it (and joining this forum) will encourage me into better things in the future Smile

jennyl

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: Newbie from Ipswich UK

Post  LesleyM on 23.01.15 21:58

Hi

Cooking is not my favourite thing either, in fact most of my friends would agree if it can't be microwaved I'd give up and order a takeaway

Then just about a year ago I got my HO and yes it took some getting used to- anything new does but it's quite easy once you burn a few things (you will) and tonight right now me who couldn't cook last year is having lamb steaks with reggae-raggae sauce and spiced wedges

I haven't ordered a takeaway in months and have saved a fortune

LesleyM

THANK YOU : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  jennyl on 23.01.15 22:50

Thank you Lesley for these words of encouragement! Joining this forum is definitely going to give me more confidence. Burning - Yes I know what that is even without a halogen oven!! Your supper sounds delicious!

jennyl

Back to top Go down

Post  LesleyM on 24.01.15 16:33

Jenny

You'll be fine just remember you can see what you're cooking so if it starts to look burnt (I watched mine like a hawk for a while but you soon learn what can be left and what needs watching) you can turn the heat down or reduce the timing

One tip it took me a while to work out is if you're cooking something ready prepared i.e. comes with instructions- use the fan oven settings or if the packet doesn't give them then either reduce the temperature by 20 degrees or time by 3 minutes

Oh and buy foil...loads of it. It keeps the bottom of the oven clean (any drips land on the foil and then you just scrunch it up and bin it) can be used to wrap stuff (one friend of mine who got his HO after I told him about them wraps salmon with herb butter in foil and tells me it's delicious as I don't like salmon I'll take his word for it) also it keeps racks clean

Do bear in mind it's not a microwave- I've seen ads suggesting it's nearly as fast- it isn't although it's faster than a conventional oven and cooks at a lower temperature but for me it has the convenience of a mircrowave, as in I can ,load it and leave it, Like when I get in from work I don't want to spend ages on preparing something so I just shove say ready prepared roasting veggies and some chicken in and leave it until the timer pings then eat

And the results are so much better than a microwave

Tonight I'm being lazy (the sort of laziness that before I got my HO would have me speed dialling the pizza place) ready made chicken and ham hock pie with roast spuds and some asparagus (boiled)

LesleyM

Back to top Go down

Post  jennyl on 24.01.15 22:58

Thanks Lesley for all the tips. Lining the bottom of the bowl is a good idea cos it's so heavy to keep washing after every use. it's hard to get used to being able to cook with foil after years of not being able to in the microwave. Anyway, you spurred me on last night into cooking baked potatoes and gammon with a brown sugar and mustard coating. All cooked beautifully. I baked the potatoes with the spikey thing through them for about an hour then put the high rack over with the gammon steaks in the non stick tray and cooked everything for another 20 mins all on 175degrees.
My husband was impressed and quite surprised that I'm actually starting to use it at last - no longer the white elephant in the corner!

jennyl

Back to top Go down

Post  LesleyM on 24.01.15 23:39

Well done! You'll be giving me tips soon!

LesleyM

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 24.01.15 23:46

Hi Jenny,

I don't have anything to add. I see that Lesley is taking good care of you.  

I've just come to welcome you

welcome-banner.gif

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  jennyl on 26.01.15 17:01

Thank you Reeta. i'm really enjoying going through the forum and my confidence is growing! chicken Kiev and cauliflower cheese tonight! Jenny Smile

jennyl

Back to top Go down

Post  LesleyM on 26.01.15 22:56

jennyl wrote:Thank you Reeta.  i'm really enjoying going through the forum and my confidence is growing!  chicken Kiev and cauliflower cheese tonight! Jenny Smile

Oh that's tomorrows dinner sorted. Two of my favourite things and the Co-Op has a special offer on chicken kiev two for a quid- one pack of their ready made cauliflower cheese (I make my own sometimes but with various hassles at work tomorrow I am going to be too tired when I get in)- 25 minutes at 200- dinner on the cheap but very nice comfort food when I just want to sit and stare at the telly for an hour or two

LesleyM

Back to top Go down

Post  jennyl on 27.01.15 0:59

Ha ha! My chicken kievs came from the special offer in the Co-op! I can recommend them and cooked in the halogen they seemed less dry than in the oven and lovely and crisp on top. I cooked them at 180 for about 20 mins and then popped the cauli cheese over them on the top rack to brown. I've never done this combination before but I hadn't been shopping and only had a cauliflower! they went really well together. Hope you enjoyed yours!

jennyl

Back to top Go down

Post  LesleyM on 27.01.15 20:43

jennyl wrote: Hope you enjoyed yours!

I did-sprinkled (generously) the cauliflower cheese with grated cheddar in the last 4 minutes to give it a nice cheesy crust

LesleyM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:30

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum