Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Hmm.... Casserole only luke warm in the centre

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hmm.... Casserole only luke warm in the centre

Post  Pejay on 13.01.15 5:50

Hi,

Well last night I used my new halogen oven for the first time, and have to say I was 'flying by the seat of my pants' as I was not sure how it would go. I made a Tuna pasta bake casserole which I have made many times before in an ordinary oven, so I knew it should be OK. I placed mixture in a pyrex (glass) dish, and after preheating oven for 10 min. on 200 deg c, I placed dthe dish on the lower rack and set the timer for 15 mins. After about 6-8 mins. I noticed the topping (cheese and breadcrumbs) starting to burn, so I turned the temp back to 150 deg c, for another 8 mins. But I found on erving it up that it was only luke warm in the centre. Thankfully all it needed was to be heated through and the top browned, and as it was one of our favourites, we ate it - too hot around here at the moment for ultra hot food.

Could someone please give me some suggestions as to what I should have done to make it heated all the way through.

Ta and thank you
Pejay

Pejay

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Hmm.... Casserole only luke warm in the centre

Post  Admin on 13.01.15 8:08

Hello Pejay.

here's a few tips for you:

Place your dish on the low rack -hot air must have room to circulate beneath . . .
If you use milk or other liquid in your recipe, make sure this is hot. If you use cold liquid, it takes too long to heat up. Since the heat source is coming from above, the top of your food will cook first. Use foil to cover it for the first half of the cooking process. Reduce heat/temp and cook for longer if needed.

Happy cooking

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  LesleyM on 13.01.15 22:41

Could pre-heating be the problem? I never bother with it I just add a minute or two to the cooking time. 10 minutes pre-heating does sound a tad long as well especially for stuff like cheese and breascrumbs both of which will burn. When I make cauliflower cheese I cover the dish with loose foil then half way through I lift the foil back and stir so the top ends up at the bottom if you get the idea then recover with foil

LesleyM

THANK YOU : 67

Back to top Go down

Re: Luke warm food

Post  Pejay on 14.01.15 6:49

Thank you for your replies - I did have the casserole dish on the lower rack, and after having read a few more hints & tips, I added the foil under the lower rack for Day 2's effort last night - frozen crumbed fish pieces. Hee, hee ..... they cooked better in the HO than in my 'other' oven!! I again added foil under the lower rack, preheated it to 200 deg c, cooked the fish for 6 mins, turned it over and cooked it for another 6 mins - bingo! All was good!

Not sure what's on the menu for tonight, but will look closely at the cookbooks that I have downloaded.

Undoubtedly there will be other problems I have along the way, but for now, many thanks

Pejay

Pejay

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:58

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum