Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

another halogen virgin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

another halogen virgin

Post  kathateria on 07.06.14 17:13

Hi all
Looking into buying a halogen oven.
I am researching, if its a good idea.
We are a family of four,and enjoy old fashioned grub,and easy meals
Thanks,in advance

kathateria

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: another halogen virgin

Post  LesleyM on 08.06.14 22:19

I only have to cook for 2 usually occasionally for 3 if someone comes round so I am not sure about cooking for 4 although I've seen reviews saying the 12 litre model is okay for up to 5. But it is great to use- I wouldn't be wthout mine. Its great for things like pies but for tonight I did a huge pizza with garlic bread-wpuld have been £15 from a takeaway for the 2 of us at least. Pizza was £3 and 2 frozen garlic baguettes £1.10 and it took 15 minutes. I suspect with 4 people you'll also have to use your cooker rings or a microwave a bit but believe me it's a wonderful investment

LesleyM

THANK YOU : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  LesleyM on 08.06.14 23:03

Thinking about it I have cooked for 4 once, roast beef with roasted potatoes, onions, leeks, butternut squash, sweet potatoes. Basically the veg takes a little longer and I did it on an oiled roasting tray at the top for 10 minutes then put the tray onto a low rack and put the beef wrapped in foil on the higher rack for about 50 minutes- beef was totally stunning with vegetables melt in the mouth tender. It does take some practice to get used to a halogen so start with something simple I started with a Fray Bentos pie and now after just under 6 months as demonstrated above I can do a roast dinner! If you go ahead here's some tips from a near beginner
1. Go out and buy foil but not the extra wide stuff that is too wide. I use the 30cm from "Wikinson's" which is 80p a roll and lasts ages. You'll use it to wrap stuff, lay it under stuff to keep the oven clean. Also if for example you're cooking say fish and chips with a little practice you'll work out as I did leave a bit at both sides and when all is done remove fish with tongs then pick the foil up by both sides and you create a funnel to empty the chips onto the plate
2. Be wary if you have an extender ring on- it means you have to reach down to get stuff out and it's easy to be bit careless and burn your arm on the ring...there will be some swear words on the way- the lid also gets very hot- use the handle
3 If your model doesn't have a hinged lid, get a stand and use it! As I say the lid gets very hot and leaning it on a worktop may look okay until it starts to roll and you catch it with the result it doesn't break on the floor and once again you're looking for the burn cream....
4. If you like things like oven chips, hash browns , croquettes, in fact most things get an air wave ring. Using mine with the extender ring gives me a much bigger oven

LesleyM

THANK YOU : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 22:08

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum