Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Hot Cross Buns

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hot Cross Buns

Post  silversurfer on 22.03.10 13:23

Okay, I've just tried the one bun this time but it turned out okay. The recipe is from a very old cookery book that belonged to my mother but I think it makes really nice buns.
Ingredients:
1lb flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 level teaspoon mixed spice (or less)
2oz butter
2oz currants
1oz yeast
1.5oz sugar
0.5 pint milk (about)

Method:
Sift together the flour, salt and spice. Rub in the butter and then add the currants. Warm the mixture. Cream the yeast and the sugar together and add the warm milk; leave to sponge for about 10 minutes. Mix the flour etc. with the yeast and milk to form a light dough. Beat well and leave in a warm place to rise until the dough has doubled its bulk. Turn onto a floured surface and knead well and then divide into 12 pieces. Make into buns then flatten and mark with a cross. Stand on a floured baking tray in a warm place to prove for about 20 minutes. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes; I tried the temperature at about 180C and cooked for a little less than 20 minutes. When cooked, brush with a glaze made by dissolving a little sugar in water.

I used a Kenwood mixer with a dough hook and it worked very well.

silversurfer

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Re: Hot Cross Buns

Post  Admin on 22.03.10 15:51

Thank you for this recipe silversurfer

I like recipes which are "Kid-Friendly" and this one would be great fun to do with children.

Question:
did you place 6 buns on top racks and 6 on lower rack?

free-happy-smileys-9

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 22.03.10 18:35

Thanks for sharing this.

I'm glad this one worked out for you. thank you

Please us know if you used the top or bottom rack. Do you mind if we copy the recipe to the A-Z section to make it easy for everyone to find?

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  silversurfer on 23.03.10 19:01

I was a coward, I only put one bun in the HO. I started it on the top rack without thinking and then moved it to the bottom rack. I think I would be inclined to put any buns on the bottom rack at least to start with and perhaps do them in batches of six, but I wonder if it would work by putting six on each rack and then swapping them round halfway?

silversurfer

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 24.03.10 11:13

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure that using 6 on top and 6 on the bottom would work fine - as long as you swap them over, as you say, for even cooking. flower

feedme

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  franklinmilo on 27.03.10 15:02

Hi everyone,just looked at recipe for hot cross buns,good recipe,just would like to know can you prove the buns in HO? if so at what temp,also do you need to pre-heat the oven before cooking,want to try this recipe tomorrow,i would be very grateful if someone would let me know please,cheers Lin Smile

franklinmilo

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 27.03.10 16:37

Hi Lin

I am hoping that someone else can answer this better than me, sorry. Crying or Very sad

Personally, I don't preheat my HO as it warms up quickly enough.

I don't think anyone has mentioned proving in their HO yet. I only have a small 7 litre oven and, even on the thaw setting, I think it heats up too much for yeast. Other ovens may vary.

If anyone else has tried this, please let us know.

feedme

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  franklinmilo on 27.03.10 16:52

Hi Junie thanks for your reply,i was thinking maybe to pre- heat very low for a few minutes turn off to cool slightly then try proving for a few minutes, i will make the dough in my bread machine on the dough program and take it from there,if the temp in the room is warm enough,i'll let it prove at room temp,will try anyway and let you know,thanks again. Lin Smile

franklinmilo

Back to top Go down

Post  silversurfer on 28.03.10 15:51

I've just eaten a couple of hot cross buns that I made in the HO today. I put 6 on the top tray and 6 on the bottom but I also used the extender ring as the ones on the top browned too quickly. I swapped them round after 10 minutes but did turn them over and cooked for about another 6-8 minutes, again swapping those on the top with those on the bottom. I set the temperature at 180C and it's worked very well.
I hadn't though about using the oven to prove the dough but I would think there is still the possibility that it might start cooking or browning it. I just put mine in front of the fire.

silversurfer

Back to top Go down

Post  franklinmilo on 28.03.10 16:09

Hi, made my hot cross buns today,didn't prove in the HO,as last minute thought,the same as you silversurfer,that they would brown and go hard,so just let them rise at room temp.I cooked them at 175C for 15 mins and they turned out good,thanks again for your input Lin [Corfu] Smile

franklinmilo

Back to top Go down

Post  silversurfer on 28.03.10 16:29

Glad they worked for you.

silversurfer

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 29.03.10 18:31

thank you Thank you Silversurfer and Franklinmilo for your contributions on this recipe.

I am currently on holiday in my touring caravan but will be making these when I get home for Easter.

An edited version of this recipe has now been posted to the A-Z. It can be found under B for buns or H for hot. cheers

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:20

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum