Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Well so far

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Well so far

Post  LesleyM on 20.01.14 22:07

As I say I sey it up last night then the morning emailed to ask why I had no extender ring?

Answer (when the guys and girls at Andrew James stopped laughing) was "see that big metal ring around the oven that's the extender ring" Embarassed 

Tonight was the first try- we weren't hungry but there was a "Pukka" steak and kidney pie I got yesterday for 98p as it was on the sell by date so I figured if it all went wrong we weren't hungry so we could just give it a taste and if I ruined it no great loss......

I put the high rack in but that seemed too close to the element so I put the expander ring on....did a rough calculation as to temp and time and switched on.

Then looking at the instructions realised the other rack I'd thought was the low one was the high one...oh well...

Then after a couple of minutes wondered why the oven wasn't glowing bright....

I misread the controls and the temperature was currently just above "off" so I reset the temperature and boosted the time an extra minute or so

Found an unexpected bonus- our kitchen has very high ceilings and we have a flourescent light strip that whenever it packs up we have to call the landlord to get it replaced but once the oven lights up I don't need to turn the light on! Then again once it reached the required temp the light went out so it's probably not the most reliable kitchen lamp..

Finally it switched itself off..I found using the tongs to lift the tray out dead easy...but I couldn't work out which way the lid stand stood. Thankfully as I hadn't had the oven on for long it wasn't that hot....and I still can't work how to put the extender ring back down the bowl so for the momennt its sitting around the lid

The pie?

A little on the cold side not as in freezing or anything just a little less hot than hoped for but the pastry was far superior to being microwaved! It was crisp rather than soggy and given between all the mess up's on the timing this was only after 15 minutes! Next time I reckon- use the low rack without the extender for 15 minutes at 180 and we may have a decent result? As it is Dave is starting to wonder about Birds Eye cod in batter and chips! I assume that's a job for the air wave?

The one thing I'm wondering about is- is there a cookbook for normal people? You know I wonder if I can say do sausages and chips? Or battered cod fillets from frozen etc? But every recipie book is full of stuff like baking cakes etc...if there isn't may have to write one!

LesleyM

THANK YOU : 67

Back to top Go down

Re: Well so far

Post  sunandmoontome on 11.02.14 22:08

Had mine just a few weeks now, most things seem to be acheivable given a bit of patience and experimentation. Eggs however, are not really a HO's best friend!! 2 failed omelette experiments earlier today have rendered 2 of my trays unusable!! GRRR!!

sunandmoontome

THANK YOU : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  LesleyM on 12.02.14 20:44

sunandmoontome wrote:failed omelette experiments earlier today have rendered 2 of my trays unusable!!   GRRR!!

As someone who loves eggs and thinks not being able to do omelettes would be a serious problem (or kitchen is so small that the halogen is on the switched off cooker and I have very little space to move it out the way to use a ring) can you tell me what went wrong? and does anyone know how you boil eggs in a halogen? I'm eyeing up a breakfast rack- is that any good?

LesleyM

Back to top Go down

Post  sunandmoontome on 14.02.14 20:15

For boiled eggs, pour maybe half an inch of water into the rice/cake pan, then add eggs, place the lid and cook on 250 for about ten to twelve minutes, less for soft yolks. You can cook them without any water at all but that way they become trickier to peel.
Fried eggs cook very unevenly and burn and stick to the pans, although am sure there must be a way around it anyone??

sunandmoontome

Back to top Go down

Post  LesleyM on 14.02.14 21:02

[quote="sunandmoontome"]For boiled eggs, pour maybe half an inch of water into the rice/cake pan, then add eggs, place the lid and cook on 250 for about ten to twelve minutes, less for soft yolks.   [quote]

Don't have a rice/cake pan so add that to another extra I need to buy

LesleyM

Back to top Go down

Boiled eggs

Post  chrisjaz on 27.04.14 13:33

HI

This is one of the ones i tried , it is in the Andrew James cooklet that came with my oven ,page 18 no water needed .
I just put the eggs on the high rack i done 4 .
8 mins at 250 for soft boiled , 10 mins 250 for hard boiled eggs .
If they are straight from the fridge , try to leave out for half an an hour if possible .

Hope this works for you ,

chrisjaz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 23:29

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum