Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

roast chicken was hard, tough and dry

View previous topic View next topic Go down

roast chicken was hard, tough and dry

Post  chicken01 on 07.06.13 10:04

Hi,

I tried a roast chicken and potatoes, the chicken was hard, tough and dry, not sure if that is due to the oven or the chicken. Comments please

Chicken01

chicken01

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: roast chicken was hard, tough and dry

Post  Admin on 07.06.13 15:12

Hi Chicken01

Roast Chickens cook beautifully in the halogen. I know potatoes take longer to cook and may be that's the reason why your roast was hard, tough and dry

You left it in the oven for too long. Try a roast chicken on its own next time.

This is a tried and tested recipe http://halogenovenrecipes.forumotion.com/t578-chicken-lemon-herb-roast-chicken

Hope this helps
Eating

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  Rapthorne on 07.06.13 19:37

the most important thing to remember with a halogen oven is that some (not all!!!) food cooks a lot faster than they do in a normal oven. it takes a little experimentation to get times and temperatures right. I have been using my HO for 6 months now and I still mess up things on occasion.

Rapthorne

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  eddiebelfast on 09.06.13 15:34

chicken01 wrote:Hi,

I tried a roast chicken and potatoes, the chicken was hard, tough and dry, not sure if that is due to the oven or the chicken. Comments please

Chicken01

I appreciate that some people get good results from cooking the entire meal in the HO.
I am a believer in keeping everything simple.
When I cook a roast I cook the meat content first and always with a thermometer,( saves any guess work )when finished wrap in silver foil to rest. Then cook Potatoes, cut into quarters, lightly oiled and covered in Salt,Pepper and Garlic. ( I use equals parts in a container with
lockable lid.Swirl SPG prior to placing Potatoes in and after locking lid twirl the container , resulting in evenly covered Potatoes).
Veges cooked in pan on stove. Use Vege water for gravy.

eddiebelfast

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Practise

Post  chicken01 on 26.06.13 6:19

I have had a little more practise now and love my cooker!!!
My husband did some duck legs in it which turned out superb!

I think the chicken was over cooked but also it was a low quality chicken!

Practise makes perfect!

Chicken01:D

chicken01

Back to top Go down

Trial and error

Post  ccridersuz on 06.10.13 20:08

I think the problem lies with the fact that if you buy your chicken from more than one place they are slightly different.
I know that by me there is quite a big difference between the medium chicken's in Asda, Co-op and Lidl, they may all basically be the same size, but have a different result when HO cooked, I have found the best is the Co-op one.
And yes dry and hard is overcooked, but it's all trial and error, who has never overcooked a chicken?

ccridersuz

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzle. on 06.02.14 16:11

I would like to see some grill racks that are made to actually fit snugly in H.O?

dazzle.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mowjo on 07.12.14 14:49

I mainly use my halogen for chickens you just can't beat the taste, now after trying most I now only use Aldi's chickens and found they can't be beaten for taste, normally I do a small chicken for 45 minutes breast down then 45 breast up, which going by most recipes should be over cooked bur every time it comes out juicy and very tasty, I have a feeling it may be more to do with the quality of the chickens from the main supermarkets I've had a few tough ones and not so tasty ones, I was never an Aldi user but as I couldn't be bothered to go to the main Tesco or Asda we have here, I decided to try Aldis as it's only around the corner, I now use them for all my meat and veg they really can't be beaten for taste,

Mow,,,

Mowjo

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

I agree

Post  Silvernewgirl on 21.12.14 15:59

I'm cooking an Aldi chicken right now, my first attempt. I love Aldi and buy almost everything there.

Silvernewgirl

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  LesleyM on 22.12.14 23:30

Rapthorne wrote:food cooks a lot faster than they do in a normal oven.

I find it's not that much faster for some things but cooks at a lower temperature just as good. The thing I love is it's a bit like a microwave in that I load it and leave it- okay it isn't as fast as a microwave but that doesn't bother me- I'm not a huge fan of anything that takes a lot of work but don't mind waiting for results. Last night I threw some cod in breadcrumbs and oven chips in , put the lid on for 20 minutes and just left it. 20 minutes later I lifted our supper out, put it on a plate and that was that

LesleyM

THANK YOU : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:53

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum