Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

roast chicken was hard, tough and dry

Go down

roast chicken was hard, tough and dry

Post  chicken01 on 07.06.13 10:04

Hi,

I tried a roast chicken and potatoes, the chicken was hard, tough and dry, not sure if that is due to the oven or the chicken. Comments please

Chicken01

chicken01

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: roast chicken was hard, tough and dry

Post  Reeta on 07.06.13 15:12

Hi Chicken01

Roast Chickens cook beautifully in the halogen. I know potatoes take longer to cook and may be that's the reason why your roast was hard, tough and dry

You left it in the oven for too long. Try a roast chicken on its own next time.

This is a tried and tested recipe http://halogenovenrecipes.forumotion.com/t578-chicken-lemon-herb-roast-chicken

Hope this helps
Eating
Reeta
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  Rapthorne on 07.06.13 19:37

the most important thing to remember with a halogen oven is that some (not all!!!) food cooks a lot faster than they do in a normal oven. it takes a little experimentation to get times and temperatures right. I have been using my HO for 6 months now and I still mess up things on occasion.
Rapthorne

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  eddiebelfast on 09.06.13 15:34

chicken01 wrote:Hi,

I tried a roast chicken and potatoes, the chicken was hard, tough and dry, not sure if that is due to the oven or the chicken. Comments please

Chicken01

I appreciate that some people get good results from cooking the entire meal in the HO.
I am a believer in keeping everything simple.
When I cook a roast I cook the meat content first and always with a thermometer,( saves any guess work )when finished wrap in silver foil to rest. Then cook Potatoes, cut into quarters, lightly oiled and covered in Salt,Pepper and Garlic. ( I use equals parts in a container with
lockable lid.Swirl SPG prior to placing Potatoes in and after locking lid twirl the container , resulting in evenly covered Potatoes).
Veges cooked in pan on stove. Use Vege water for gravy.

eddiebelfast

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Practise

Post  chicken01 on 26.06.13 6:19

I have had a little more practise now and love my cooker!!!
My husband did some duck legs in it which turned out superb!

I think the chicken was over cooked but also it was a low quality chicken!

Practise makes perfect!

Chicken01:D

chicken01

Back to top Go down

Trial and error

Post  ccridersuz on 06.10.13 20:08

I think the problem lies with the fact that if you buy your chicken from more than one place they are slightly different.
I know that by me there is quite a big difference between the medium chicken's in Asda, Co-op and Lidl, they may all basically be the same size, but have a different result when HO cooked, I have found the best is the Co-op one.
And yes dry and hard is overcooked, but it's all trial and error, who has never overcooked a chicken?

ccridersuz

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  dazzle. on 06.02.14 16:11

I would like to see some grill racks that are made to actually fit snugly in H.O?

dazzle.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mowjo on 07.12.14 14:49

I mainly use my halogen for chickens you just can't beat the taste, now after trying most I now only use Aldi's chickens and found they can't be beaten for taste, normally I do a small chicken for 45 minutes breast down then 45 breast up, which going by most recipes should be over cooked bur every time it comes out juicy and very tasty, I have a feeling it may be more to do with the quality of the chickens from the main supermarkets I've had a few tough ones and not so tasty ones, I was never an Aldi user but as I couldn't be bothered to go to the main Tesco or Asda we have here, I decided to try Aldis as it's only around the corner, I now use them for all my meat and veg they really can't be beaten for taste,

Mow,,,

Mowjo

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

I agree

Post  Silvernewgirl on 21.12.14 15:59

I'm cooking an Aldi chicken right now, my first attempt. I love Aldi and buy almost everything there.

Silvernewgirl

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  LesleyM on 22.12.14 23:30

Rapthorne wrote:food cooks a lot faster than they do in a normal oven.

I find it's not that much faster for some things but cooks at a lower temperature just as good. The thing I love is it's a bit like a microwave in that I load it and leave it- okay it isn't as fast as a microwave but that doesn't bother me- I'm not a huge fan of anything that takes a lot of work but don't mind waiting for results. Last night I threw some cod in breadcrumbs and oven chips in , put the lid on for 20 minutes and just left it. 20 minutes later I lifted our supper out, put it on a plate and that was that

LesleyM

THANK YOU : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum