Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Seems very fiddly?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seems very fiddly?

Post  Saeth on 28.03.13 18:43

Hello,

I was given a JML oven for my birthday and I'm in the process of experimenting. It's been "ok". Sometimes food has been overcooked, or under, or it's not finishing at the same time. I have a few general questions that I've tried searching for but no answers.

I find I'm constantly having to stir the food, or turn it. Is this normal? Plus it's just really fiddly/time consuming. By the time I've done it and tried to stop the roasted veggies falling through the rack, the oven has lost a lot of heat and I have to wait for it to come back to temp. The result is it just feels like everything takes so long to do then it seems it takes longer to cook too.

How possible is it to do a meal of say, roasted parsnips and a chicken, or some other meat pieces in a simple manner? I seem to be struggling to get the veggies done. Whenever I use the frying pan I find it just blocks too much heat and you can forget about it cooking anything underneath. My mum said maybe I should get two, but then I doubt that'll do my electric bill any good!

It just seems with the constant guessing, poking, turning, trying to fit in a typical meal of meat and veggies for 3 into it, that it's quite... laborious? Put veggies in first, cook a bit, then put the meat in, cook a bit, turn, cook , turn, take out, stand, brown the remaining veggies.. ugh lol.

You need to babysit it. While with the oven it's a case of just throwing it on a rack, turning once (if that tbh) and that is fast in itself. Maybe it's a lack of confidence. I do like how the food tastes when done right, I just feel a bit phased by it all atm! Am I the only one who felt like this?

Saeth

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Seems very fiddly?

Post  oldfossil on 28.03.13 22:31

Hi Saeth

Whilst unable to answer all your questions I can tell you one way of cooking the veg would be to use a small sandwich tin which is the way I go.

I also use the sandwich tin to cook my eggs in.

However when it comes to mushrooms I find they are ok on the racks.

oldfossil

THANK YOU : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  Saeth on 29.03.13 9:42

The mushies would make sense. I confess to trying to avoid trays, less to wash lol. I double layered the wire racks last night and it made a huge difference, but still seems they need a lot of turning/poking.

ETA: I suppose the question is, do you find you need to watch/turn/interact with it more than cooking in a big oven? I was under the impression it was like that but ofc I'm still a newbie.

Saeth

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  oldfossil on 29.03.13 16:23

Saeth wrote:The mushies would make sense. I confess to trying to avoid trays, less to wash lol. I double layered the wire racks last night and it made a huge difference, but still seems they need a lot of turning/poking.

ETA: I suppose the question is, do you find you need to watch/turn/interact with it more than cooking in a big oven? I was under the impression it was like that but ofc I'm still a newbie.

In a nutshell no.

But

With the exception of the mushrooms I tend to use the microwave instead.

oldfossil

THANK YOU : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  eddiebelfast on 01.06.13 6:52

I never try cooking a Roast ala all in at the same time.
Meat/Chicken cooked first and always with a Thermometre ( the version I have has temperature scale and pictures of animals i.e. once the arrow reaches the chicken or lamb etc it's cooked) Remove the meat and wrap in Tinfoil i.e. it rests as all Chefs recommend.
Place Potatoes in HO on top rack and cook. At the same time I cook veges in a pot on the Hob. Use the water from veges to make Gravy.
NB. If a Thermometre is used then there is never any need to pre-heat the oven. Although why any pre-heating is required is beyond me!

eddiebelfast

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 18:04

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum