Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Different kinds of Halogen ovens - and which is better

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Different kinds of Halogen ovens - and which is better

Post  roleck on 11.01.13 21:50

Hi: I'm writing from the USA.

There appear to be two basic styles of halogen ovens: the one with the glass low rimmed plate with the power unit attached to a high dome top (NuWave Style, which I have and love). Then there is the one that has the deep-sided bowl with the power head attached to a lid.

I notice that in the UK they seem to exclusively show the latter version (well at least on this site). If any one has used both kinds of units, can you let me know your experiences with each and your preference? I recently received the high side version as a present and haven't used it as my other unit is working fine still.

But, having cooked several up-to-15 lb turkeys in my present unit and numerous roasts and chickens, where flipping half way through is part of the process, I find the removable dome a much preferable method of accessing one's meats vs the other kind where there is a chance of burning a hand/wrist/arm while reacing into a deep bowl to wrangle a slippery piece of meat.

Any feedback, techniques, attitudes will be welcome!

Thanks Wink
Robin

roleck

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Re: Different kinds of Halogen ovens - and which is better

Post  Admin on 21.01.13 7:57

Sorry Robin, it appears that no one on this forum has used both types of Halogen Ovens and therefore not able to post a comment/review.

NuWave style is not easy to find in UK. The market is saturated with the 'big glass bowl' style of halogen ovens and fairly cheap too. I would say that's why most people buy them.

Regards
Reeta

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  roleck on 24.01.13 13:40

Reeta:

Thank you for your feedback. That certainly explains it! Since now I have the bowl type I'll start experimenting with it.

Regards!

roleck

Back to top Go down

Post  roleck on 24.01.13 13:43

BTW: you have a wonderful blog. No such thing I know about in the states. Albeit NuWave does have its own website (wonderful stuff) but you have to own a NuWave oven (mine is made by someone else) and register by unit number to join. Thanks again. Glad I found you.

roleck

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 25.01.13 0:13

Thank you for your kind words Robin

I am glad you found us.

welcome-banner.gif

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  eightthirty on 29.01.13 0:37

I have the power head attached to the lid style and previously owned the dome style. I definitely prefer the power head attached to the lid, but mine did come with a lid holder. I love the big glass bowl because not only can I wash it in the dishwasher, but it's also self-cleaning.

eightthirty

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  roleck on 30.01.13 13:26

Self cleaning is a definite plus. My dome, which is plastic, has fogged up so I can only see through the top -- a definite minus. I gather that reaching into the hot bowl to manipulate the food does not bother you at all?

roleck

Back to top Go down

Post  eightthirty on 31.01.13 0:03

Roleck, the bowl is extremely wide mouthed in my opinion and reaching into the hot bowl has not even occurred to me. The device I chose comes with tongs for the racks, which work well. I've cooked full chickens all the way to empanadas on the low rack. For the empanadas (cooked yesterday - 3 batches), I had to reach in there as I cooked them on the low rack. On a counter, from a person who is 5'4", I didn't experience any over reaching issues. The only hurdle I could see is if someone has an EXTREMELY high counter (a bar for instance) or is of lesser height than me. My cousin who is 4'11" might not appreciate the reach as easily as I do.

eightthirty

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 20:42

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum