Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Irish soda bread: White bread flour

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Irish soda bread: White bread flour

Post  lonergan2468 on 13.05.12 13:28

Ok, I never measure, like my mother by hand.

Sift about 2.5 mug of flour containing a heaped tea spoon of bicarbonate of soda, and a half of baking powder, add some salt if you like.

Use soured milk, natural yoghurt, or butter milk: at room temperature, and mix in as you would normally, adding more milk as you go along, if you find that the dough is too wet just keep adding more flour until it is ready to be shaped in to a ball, then flatten in a circle to about 2 inches.Place on floured baking tray. Using a sharp knife and floured, cut a cross on the dough side to side so it appears like quarters. Sprinkle some flour on top to prevent burning. Set temp to 180, and use the height ring otherwise the top will brown far too quickly. Give it thirty mins approx, then remove, check the bottom, more than likely will be undone. ok, no problem, place the bread back in the HO UPSIDE DOWN, and bake for a further 10 mins. Remove, and leave to cool on a wire rack for 30 mins. Cut the quarters and check if done.

This is based on my recipe for my fan assisted oven.
Soda bread was traditionally cooked in a bastable on a hearth fire, and coals applied to the top lid. The bread was known as bastable cake/bread.

Lovely in the morning with a cup of tea, a little jam or cheese...I like processed cheese on it.

lonergan2468

THANK YOU : 9

Back to top Go down

Re: Irish soda bread: White bread flour

Post  Admin on 13.05.12 17:14

... I notice there is no yeast in this recipe. This is also a great recipe for people with yeast intolerance.

Thank you lonergan2468
I'll have mine with a bit of jam please

delicious

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  lonergan2468 on 13.05.12 18:20

Reeta wrote:... I notice there is no yeast in this recipe. This is also a great recipe for people with yeast intolerance.

Thank you lonergan2468
I'll have mine with a bit of jam please

delicious

Yes no yeast..and the brown version with some bran crushed in is lovely, I prefer working with hole meal or brown,,easier..LOL

lonergan2468

THANK YOU : 9

Back to top Go down

soured milk for soda bread.

Post  andywyatt on 01.10.12 9:05

]An easy way to make soured milk is to stir 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of fresh lemon juice into 250 ml full fat milk and let it stand for about 15 minutes. :smileysunface_0001:

If you don´t normally drink full fat milk (we don´t) freeze the milk in ice cube trays, then keep in an old ice cream container in the freezer. You can then take out what you need, when you need it

andywyatt

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 18:31

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum