Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

First attempt at Halogen Cooking !

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First attempt at Halogen Cooking !

Post  lonergan2468 on 10.05.12 12:20

Ok, it arrived yesterday:

I decided to roast a chicken, and got one at The co -OP..weighing approx 1.9KG

OK..I stuffed the main cavity with sage and onion stuffing.
Rubbed the bird in a mix of olive oil, pepper , salt, some herbs, and a little bit if teriyaki sauce.
put the bird in using the low wire stand, and one of the attachment dishes underneath. used the height ring bringing the capacity up to 17L..I read somewhere that this prevents the top burning ??
put temp to apprx 190 deg...for 20 mins, then 180 degrees.
checked after 60 min, my wife said to tweak the drums ticks and see how they move, then she said ok, cut the flesh on the leg..pink inside ! Ok removed the height ring, timed for 30 min approx..better. BUT on examination after resting the bottom was not done, red flesh mixing with the stuffing. BUT the rest was nice, and moist..so really a positive experience.

Lesson:
Don't stuff the body cavity, even my wife said this as it can prevent the bottom from cooking !

Perhaps not using the height ring !

Just start off at 180, and leave it at that!

This PM I will try an Irish soda bread that I usually do in the fan oven at180 degrees and this takes approx 40 mins.

lonergan2468

THANK YOU : 9

Back to top Go down

Re: First attempt at Halogen Cooking !

Post  Catfriend on 12.05.12 14:37

Hi Lonergan, I'm a newbie myself at using this type of oven, and have yet to try a roast chicken, but I have noticed from reading all the posts about roasting chicken that starting off with the bird breast down and turning it over half way through does seem to be one way of making sure it's properly cooked all round. If you type 'chicken' or 'roast chicken' into the search box you will come up with all sorts of useful info. Hope this helps. How did the Irish soda bread turn out, by the way? I hope it was as nice as it sounds Smile

Carolyn

Catfriend

THANK YOU : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  lonergan2468 on 12.05.12 17:47

I am more used to making the wholemeal one, and the flour is easier to handle than white. I am a bit impatient when it comes to kneading, the dough was a bit wet to start off with, I added some more flour...but really not enough, and I had started it in the chef mixer with dough hook. Once I had rounded it and cut the cross I noticed that the quarters did not separate quite well indicating that really it was moist. Nonethe less I popped it in the HO, bottom with low rack and height adjuster, and on 180 as I do in my main fan oven. It rose beautifully..after 30 mins I took it out to check, the underside was undone (This never happens in my main oven)so I put it back underside up for 10 mins approx.On completion and cutting to quarters I noticed it was baked somewhat unevenly...so I placed in microwave for 40 seconds..this helped. Tastes very nice..the crust was a bit hard, but placing in my plastic air tight bread bin overnight sorted that.
Basically I think that I should be patient with dough making..and take the time to ensure that the dough is not wet, and have the patience to sort it. I would say that this was a positive experience.

lonergan2468

Back to top Go down

Post  lonergan2468 on 12.05.12 17:48

Catfriend wrote:Hi Lonergan, I'm a newbie myself at using this type of oven, and have yet to try a roast chicken, but I have noticed from reading all the posts about roasting chicken that starting off with the bird breast down and turning it over half way through does seem to be one way of making sure it's properly cooked all round. If you type 'chicken' or 'roast chicken' into the search box you will come up with all sorts of useful info. Hope this helps. How did the Irish soda bread turn out, by the way? I hope it was as nice as it sounds Smile

Carolyn

Yes, I saw that, and will do that next time. Lancashire hotpot cooking in the hO right now...

lonergan2468

Back to top Go down

Post  ozziejude on 12.05.12 21:12

Hi Catfriend and Lonergan
Here is a tip that I use when I am cooking bread.
I place a tin tray on the rack, preheat oven, then put my bread which is all ready in a tin or on a tray onto the hot tray the extra heat from the tray gives me crispy bread on bottom.
Hope this helps.
Ozziejude

ozziejude

THANK YOU : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  lonergan2468 on 13.05.12 13:07

Thanks..must experiment.

lonergan2468

Back to top Go down

New here - these should be compulsory

Post  Tender on 13.05.12 16:04

Hi all ! I'm new to this site, as many will be aware, but not new to Halo cooking. We've had an HO for almost 3 years, now. ( Just as Wisdom don't come automatically with old age, expertise doesn't necessarily come with increasing years of ownership ). So, I'm not claiming to be an expert, but I think I have now mastered Roast Chicken !
Before you start, be sure to get a simple meat thermometer - a simple round (analogue) dial with meats clearly named alongside their optimum temperatures ( about £5 from 'the rainforest ' site. IMHO these should be a COMPULSORY item issued with all HOs.
Stage 1. Turn the chicken over, place it on its breast bone, coat the underside with a teaspoon of oil and add seasoning. ( I place mine on a wire rack which is on a baking tray near the bottom of the bowl ) Cook for 20 to 25 mins at 225degrees.
Stage 2. Turn the chicken into its 'normal' breast-up position, add small amount of salt and pepper to the top surface. Cook for approx. 30 minutes at 210 (220 for larger birds).
Stage 3. Now use your thermometer - pierce the breast vertically through the deepest/thickest part of the meat - with the correct reading, there should be no blood-red sections of white meat near the underside. ( If in doubt, cook for a further 5 minutes or so at a higher temperature )
My chicken of choice ? The Co-op's Pre-seasoned and stuffed 'luxury' chicken ( sadly, only available in larger stores. ) The pork stuffing is merely enough to add flavour and certainly does not block or fill the cavity.
I realise this site is dedicated to free recipes, but I feel it proper to acknowledge and thank Sarah Flower for the above Method.
Now, anybody for 'guilt free' chips ?

Tender

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  lonergan2468 on 13.05.12 16:37

Thanks...do u use the height adjuster ring ?

lonergan2468

Back to top Go down

First attempt at Halogen Cooking

Post  Tender on 14.05.12 22:19

Ionergan2468: I use the Extension Ring most of the time, now - but that's because our new model ( Crisp and Bake ) has a high level rack (about halfway up the bowl) to accommodate the rotation mechanism. With our previous, 'standard' model, we used the Ring as and when necessary - clearly, the shape of the food being cooked is the deciding factor. Leaving a sufficient gap to allow hot air circulation whilst still benefitting from the radiant heat - only experience will help you, I'm afraid - all I can suggest is you make simple notes as you experiment.

Last edited by Tender on 15.05.12 9:19; edited 1 time in total

Tender

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  lonergan2468 on 14.05.12 23:57

Indeed..I prefer the height ring if not grilling.
Thanks

lonergan2468

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 16:00

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum