Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Some very basic tips from a new user

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some very basic tips from a new user

Post  junie on 01.03.10 16:57

Hi

I have been playing with my new oven over the weekend just to try and get a 'feel' for how the oven works before trying anything too complicated. This is what I have found with my oven.

Already it is obvious that the bottom of the oven is much cooler than the top (especially on shorter cooking times).

If steaming in parcels in the bottom it helps to use a little boiling water instead of cold and to allow at least 5-10 minutes longer than you might think for piping hot (and cooked) results.

Foods requiring about an hour or less in an ordinary oven will take about the same amount of time in your HO but will cook beautifully at 20 degrees less.
If you want to brown your food then you will need to turn it over for part of the cooking time (preferably on the top rack).

The defrost funtion seems to be excellent but keep checking the progress.

Thank goodness the bowl is glass and makes it easy to see what is going on.

I'm sure every oven is a little different but the principle will be the same.
Above all don't be frightened to experiment - it's the only way to learn - I am already convinced that my HO won't be another one of those 'must haves' that lie in the back of the cupboard unused.
Happy cooking everyone. feedme

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Re: Some very basic tips from a new user

Post  Admin on 01.03.10 20:50

junie wrote:
I am already convinced that my HO won't be another one of those 'must haves' that lie in the back of the cupboard unused.

mine won't fit in the cupboard. It will have be the garage on the top shelf next to the slow cooker Very Happy

thank you for all the new tips and advice Junie. All very useful indeed. You have been busy bounce

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  lilchook on 03.03.10 8:01

i just got mine today but THERE NO INSTRUCTIONS apart from how to make it work. i made a packet cake at the recommended time and temp on the lid and it seemed to be ok if not a little flat. if i make muffins do i just put the batter in pattie papers and then straight on to the rack or on to a tray? i'm sure i am gonna love it but just need to get the hang of it!

lilchook

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 03.03.10 14:19

Hi, I'm new to this too. It sems to be a common bugbear that the ovens don't come supplied with enough information. that's why a forum such as this is required.
I have never tried muffins but the main rule with your oven is to use it exactly as you would use a standard oven but with a reduced temperature.
If your pattie papers are safe in your standard oven, then they'll be ok in the halogen.
I'm certainly no expert, and someone else may know better, but I don't see any difference in whether you use a tray or cook on the rack for recipes like this.
I hope this is of help.
Good luck with your cooking, Junie

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  megan46 on 08.03.10 8:53

When I first tried cooking muffins I found the top cooked much faster than the base but if I put the top rack in (muffins on the lower rack) and put the steamer tray on it, the heat seems to even out. I remove the steamer tray for the last five minutes of cooking to brown the muffins.

I didn't have any luck using silicone muffin trays and have just about given up on them. The bottoms don't seems to cook at all but that is the same in my big oven.

A tip I found on this forum was putting the paper muffin cases in ramekin pots to hold them steady and I use this all the time now. I think it is a great idea.

The instructions for my HO were absolutely minimal too. Didn't even include cleaning instructions but found those on this forum. I would have been lost without it.

Happy cooking everyone.

megan46

THANK YOU : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 08.03.10 12:16

Hi Megan

Thank you for the excellent advice and I'm so glad that you have found the forum so useful.
thank you

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  cassie on 17.04.10 17:02

Hello everybody,
I have just bought a halogen Oven today, and have just joined your forum, and have been trying to find out how to cook with it too. I absolutely agree that there is not enough information as to how to cook foods. I particulary want to know the best way to cook vegetables in it. I usually use a steamer on the gas hob, but I have read somewhere that you have to put veg in small parcels!! this seems a lot of trouble to me, as I cook a lot of veg. at the same time. Is there another method?

Any advice will be appreciated
Cassie

cassie

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 17.04.10 20:26

Hi Cassie and welcome

welcome

Other users have mentioned placing a shallow ovenproof dish containing water (wine/herbs/etc) on the bottom rack and placing the veg on a perforated steamer tray on the top. (Try the Halogen Oven Shop for accessories)
Perforating tin foil works just as well if you don't have the tray.

Hope this helps

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  patpat1 on 22.01.14 16:20

How am I supposed to use the oven racks? if I just stand them both on the bottom of the cooker there is very little room to put anything on the bottom one! If I try to balance the high one on top of the low one it falls off!

patpat1

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  LesleyM on 27.01.14 21:28

junie wrote:Other users have mentioned placing a shallow ovenproof dish containing water (wine/herbs/etc)  on the bottom rack and placing the veg on a perforated steamer tray on the top. (Try the Halogen Oven Shop for accessories)
Perforating tin foil works just as well if you don't have the tray.

Hope this helps

Well it certainly helps me! Now how do I roast vegetables?

I take it that's on tope of the bottom rack not the top one?

LesleyM

THANK YOU : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 28.01.14 17:51

you will find recipes for roast vegetables in the recipes section.

Also check out the questions and answers section.

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:30

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum