Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Is it really infrared?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is it really infrared?

Post  patri on 04.04.12 16:15

Hello,

My question is regarding one of the sales points regarding these halogen ovens - that they use infrared waves for cooking (besides the circulating air and radiant heat from the halogen ring.)

It seems a few years ago that was a main selling point. These days it seems it is hardly mentioned. Some years ago I purchased a model similar to the Nuwave but it turned out to be 'just' a convection oven with a heat coil and a fan. I used it mostly for keeping plates warm or rewarming food. However, the bottom of the food (shallow dishes) was never warm enough. Eventually the dome cracked in two places.

So I decided to order a halogen oven 'like the Flavorwave oven' which uses 'various methods to cook'...I was really intrigued by the infrared point.

My question is...do ALL halogen ovens use infrared heat as well? Or was the whole infrared cooking of these ovens just untrue Info TV hype?

I ask this because - as you can guess - my oven too has very little technical info (and a useless cooking booklet Smile It is a 'Bravo Nippon'...but looks rather like the manual Flavorwave and similar. Came with ring, two racks (which seem a bit small for the large bowl) a perforated pan, tongs).

I am a bit preoccupied with this whole infrared technology, especially when one looks for possible future halogen ring replacement...and not a thing is mentioned about infrared.

Also, looking at most of the models 'out there', I would bet that they are all made by the same few manufacturers, with just a few very minor design and name changes! Laughing

Thanks for any info!

patri

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Re: Is it really infrared?

Post  manic123 on 04.04.12 18:01

Hi, I am very new to the HO's but I have a Andrew James 17ltr and I don't recall any infrared being mentioned just the Halogen bulb, maybe the infrared thing just did not work out?

Vicky

manic123

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  patri on 04.04.12 19:51

I looked up the Andrew James oven and it mentions 'light-wave' technology...?? Hmmm...

Also, when one googles just 'infrared oven' the halogen ovens turn up...Flavourwave, Nuwave, etc.

A bit confusing. I am wondering if the industry felt that the general public is confusing infrared waves with microwaves and is put off by the very visible glass bowl/plastic dome idea and are now using vague terms such as 'light-wave technology' etc....although infrared light has been used in restaurants since ages for keeping food warm as well as other known medical uses.

I understand that light-wave technology (halogen) is used in some microwaves to help give that crisp or browned finish to foods.

Confusing. Shocked

patri

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 05.04.12 0:28

History
While the Flavor Wave oven emerged on the market in 2005, the NuWave oven comes from a longer line of infrared counter-top ovens, which the manufacturer, Hearthware, began making in 1997.

Heat Sources
Both the Flavor Wave oven and the NuWave oven use infrared heat to cook the food throughout. However, both also use two other types of heat, and they advertise the threefold heating mechanism of infrared, convection and conduction. The difference between the two ovens is the source of the conduction, or the direct heat source. The Flavor Wave oven uses halogen lamps, while the NuWave oven uses a sheath heater.

Temperature Limits
The Flavor Wave oven offers a higher maximum temperature of 500 degrees, while the NuWave oven reaches only 350 degrees. Both ovens, however, use temperature conversion charts to adapt different types of foods and translate recipes from conventional ovens to infrared.

Article Source eHow.com

Hope this helps

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  patri on 05.04.12 9:09

Thanks, Reeta. Now it is clear...so without a doubt the halogen ovens also use the infrared technology.

One thing I wish all the manufacturers would be consistent with is clear terminology. On the box that mine came in, it only mentioned cooks food with various methods. And the larger text simply said Halogen Convection Oven. Well, my little similar-to-nuwave (plastic dome) one was a convection oven too and just that...only had heat coils like most conventional ovens do and the fan.

The little pamphlet that came with it had nothing about the technology at all, just a few useless recipes. A common complaint as well. Nothing about which rack, nor tips.

thank-you , Reeta. Now I know!

patri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 21:16

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum