Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Saving Cats By Cooking Steaks In the Halogen Oven

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Saving Cats By Cooking Steaks In the Halogen Oven

Post  neo111 on 02.04.12 14:07

Today I used the new cooker for the second time and decided to cook the beef steak I was going to cook yesterday but did'nt. When I got the two steaks out of the freezer they were welded together by ice, so my hopes of using them singly were gone. I had to eat both of them. Either that or I would have had to get the saw out to seperate them. As I had not eaten a thing all day and it was now 8:00pm, my appetite was in fast forward mode and the local cats, sensing this, had ceased from using my back garden as their loo and fled homewards. I figured I could manage both steaks.

They were two sirloins about ¾ of an inch thick, 2.5 inches wide and six to seven inches long. Now, as I have already pointed out elsewhere, I am not a cook. I can manage simple stuff like a fry-up breakfast, or something ready prepared in a tin, but actually cooking something from raw is not a thing I have done a lot of. For example, I have cooked one chicken in my life and I managed to ruin it by changing its ethnicity from pink to smoking black. I did not want to make that mistake again and the fact that these cookers have a glass bowl you look through was going to help me a lot in that regard.

Now, when I shop I only buy what I intend to eat. I cannot stand seeing good food go to waste by over stocking and then throwing away what is not used. Today I am coming to the end of my fortnightly shopping shedule so there are a limited amount of ingredients in the cuboards and the fridge. In the end, I settled on the following:

2x200g Sirloin Beef Steaks.
1. Sachet of Boil-in-the-Bag white long grain rice
1. Can of mushrooms
1. Can of garden peas
English Mustard
Oregano
1 Beef Oxo stock cube
Some Butter.

I began by placing the low rack in the bottom of the cooker and then adding the small non stick frying pan on top to catch the dripping fat etc. I gently spread the legs of the high rack over the edges of the frying pan and placed the two steaks on that. I then set the cooker heat switch to defrost mode and the timer for ten minutes and switched on. This was not enough time so I increased the time by another ten mins' and tried again. Still not enough. The meat was still partly frozen. Another ten mins' added after turning the meat over and it was ready to cook.

While the defrosting was happening, I put a pan on the gas stove and heated some water for the boil-in-the-bag rice and prepared the garnish for the steaks.

I placed a heaped tablespoon of hot English Mustard in a bowl. You could use the more wimpy American Mustard I guess, but I like the English stuff. Very Happy To this I added half a tea spoon of dried Oregano and half a tablespoon full of butter. I creamed this together then, on a whim, I added the crushed beef OXO cube and mixed it in. I am out of cooking oil so the butter would have to work as a substitute.

Now I had to decide how to cook the meat. To try and find some help I decided to check this excellent site for tips and ideas and logged in. I typed the word “steak” into the search bar and quickly found a page that dealt with sirloin etc. I finally settled on this recipe posted by npower1:

I haven't tried this recipe. It comes from The Halogen Oven Cookbook by Jones and Meads

1 fillet steak about 1/2 thick
There is no need to preheat the halogen oven.

Place the fillet steak in a small roasting tin. Cover the steak with a few grinds of black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Cook on 200C. As a general guide, 8-10 minutes for rare, 10-15 for medium, and approximately 20 for well done. The steak can be turned over half way through the cooking time.

(1) Note that the rack to use is not specified but would expect to use the high rack.
(2) Also, the 'can be turned' phrasing is odd. I would expect you should turn the steak half way through.

Hope this helps.

I like my steaks well done so I opted for the 20 mins' timing. 10 mins each side.

I coated both of the steaks in half of the mustard mix using the back of a tablespoon to spread the mixture over the meat and then set the power to 200c and the timer to ten mins' and switched on. In no time at all the kitchen filled with the delicious smells of cooking steak, mustard and Orgeno.

Hmmmm.

I heated up the peas and mushrooms and turned the rice onto a low heat to keep it hot ready for serving.

As I waited for the first 'ding' to tell me that it was time to turn the meat over, I surfed this site looking for ideas and techniques I can use later. I remember once saying in something I wrote that,' using a cookbook was like mind-robbing a chef.' Here on this site it is like mind-robbing chefs, artists and pioneers. There is a wealth of good stuff tucked away on it if you take the time to look around.

When the 'ding' sounded I returned to the kichen, turned the meat over and coated the other side in the Mustard mix. Set the timer for another ten mins' and went back to surfing.

The final dish was fantastic. The steaks were juicy and cooked almost right through. Just a little pink spot in the dead centre. They cut easily with a serated steak knife, so I checked with a long bladed dinner knife with a flat edge and that cut them easily also. The taste and texture of the meat was sublime. Possibly a tiny – and I mean tiny – bit tough but I will use a lower heat setting and longer time next time to ensure they come out erring on the tender side.[Edit: This is my inexperience with cooking talking so please ignore it and check out Junies comment below instead.] The Mustard mix was a huge success and I will use that again with different spices to try. I washed it down with a nice glass of red wine.

Perfect.

The frying pan had done its job and caught all the fat so washing up and cleaning the oven was going to be breeze.

All in all. A great meal that satisfied this big man's angry appetite and saved the lives of the neighbours cats. I am starting to love this cooking lark and I am already in love with my halogen cooker. If you haven't tried it yet, give it a go. You will love it.

My smug-o-meter is starting to climb the scale. This is only the second time I have used the cooker and both times have been a success. 'Pride comes before a fall' as they say, so I need to watch out.

Last edited by neo111 on 03.04.12 8:10; edited 1 time in total

neo111

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Saving Cats By Cooking Steaks In the Halogen Oven

Post  junie on 02.04.12 18:29

For someone who is 'not a cook' your first efforts are rather impressive.

For what it's worth - in my experience of cooking steaks (pan-fried as I don't like messing with my tried and tested successes) higher heat and less cooking time helps to keep them more tender.

I loved reading your post and I'm sure our cat loving members will be pleased that your neighbourhood cats are safe, at least for tonight, lol!

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  ozziejude on 02.04.12 20:57

I think I am in love with my halogen oven too, I love a challenge.
Ozziejude

ozziejude

THANK YOU : 57

Back to top Go down

Post  neo111 on 03.04.12 8:15

junie wrote:For someone who is 'not a cook' your first efforts are rather impressive.

For what it's worth - in my experience of cooking steaks (pan-fried as I don't like messing with my tried and tested successes) higher heat and less cooking time helps to keep them more tender.

I loved reading your post and I'm sure our cat loving members will be pleased that your neighbourhood cats are safe, at least for tonight, lol!

Thanks June. I have edited the post to reflect your greater experience in cooking and I will make certain to try more heat and less time next time I cook steaks. Thanks so much for being alert and spotting that potential error.

As with everything we try that is new to us, research is the key to success and I need to do a lot more of that. I am having a lot of fun and buying this cooker has tapped the creative part of my nature in whole new ways.

Thanks again.

neo111

Back to top Go down

Post  neo111 on 03.04.12 8:16

ozziejude wrote:I think I am in love with my halogen oven too, I love a challenge.
Ozziejude

agree

neo111

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 03.04.12 16:42

urwelcome neo111

I'm glad you are getting so much enjoyment from your HO. I think they are great little ovens.

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 22:24

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum