Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

cooking fish and chips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cooking fish and chips

Post  mo on 23.02.10 20:37

I am getting on quite well cooking battered frozen fish on the bottom rack and my own chips, drizzled with oil, on the top rack. Two points I would like help on though:
With the fish, although the top crisps up nicely the bottom stays soggy, it's difficult to turn the pieces over when you have the top rack in use with chips on it, major operation! Any ideas?

And the chips - can't put them straight on top rack because they fall through. I put them on a round baking sheet but although they cook through well, and I do turn them over, they still end up brown one side and white the other. I thought about using a pizza tray with holes in the bottom but I can't find one small enough. I am looking for a Halogen Oven steaming tray now, which might work, anyone know where I can track one down?

mo

THANK YOU : 10

Back to top Go down

Re: cooking fish and chips

Post  Admin on 24.02.10 22:32

Hi Mo,

I use a tray for the chips which I placed on the rack. This way I can easily lift the chip tray out, then remove the rack, turn the fish pieces over and put rack, chip tray back in

I don’t get any problems with the chips Mo, always done golden on all sides. I use a tray and I do turn them over just once, sort of moving them around a bit

Coopers have a set of accessories

http://www.halogenovenshop.co.uk/

Perforated steaming tray
Grill/Fry Pan tray
Ten slice bread toaster rack
Height extension ring

Andrew James have a better set but I am not sure if they sell them without the HO

The best thing to do is to email them and ask. They are very helpful

http://www.halogenovenshop.co.uk/

Have you tried Ebay?. Many Halogen Oven sellers are opening shops on Ebay now.

I hope you find these info useful mo

Smile
Reeta

Last edited by Reeta on 27.02.10 13:49; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 25.02.10 9:39

Thanks so much for all those tips Reeta - I thought the chips would need to be on the grill or on a perforated tray to cook through, but how silly of me - when I do them in my conventional oven they just go on a baking tray, no problem. And putting them on a tray will make it so much easier to turn the fish over and so solve the 'soggy bottom' problem. Cheers! Mo

mo

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 25.02.10 16:43

Another thought Reeta - do you drizzle olive oil over your chips, as I do (I presume they are your own chips, not frozen ones?) - I just wondered if this makes them rather 'mottled' in places, but they do taste so good and come out quite crispy this way.

mo

Back to top Go down

Post  sdmcc on 26.02.10 10:31

I got given on of these weight watcher pump action sprays for olive oil. I find it excellent for spraying chips and roast potatoes, evenly and with no mottling. Also saves on excess waste of olive oil (too late for me to worry about calories!)

sdmcc

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 26.02.10 16:35

Thanks for this tip sdmcc. Never heard of this pump and it does sound like a good idea.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 26.02.10 16:44

mo wrote:Another thought Reeta - do you drizzle olive oil over your chips, as I do (I presume they are your own chips, not frozen ones?) - I just wondered if this makes them rather 'mottled' in places, but they do taste so good and come out quite crispy this way.

It's frozen chips Mo. That's what the boys like

When I do saute potatoes that's my own and I do sprinkle a bit of olive and yes it does get little dark patches here and there. They taste yummy though. Sometimes I also sprinke herbs such as thyme and oregano feedme

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 27.02.10 10:22

Great tip, sdmcc. I'm sure I've seen those sprays somewhere but can't think where, I will keep my eyes open when I am out shopping. Must be a lot less messy than using your hands to turn them over in a bowl of oil!

And Reeta, I shall try sprinkling some herbs on my chips some time, although I don't know whether hubby will appreciate it, he's very conventional! We don't like oven chips and I gave up using a smelly, messy chip pan, or an equally messy deep fat fryer, a few years ago, so to be able to make my own again - and they do taste yummy - is as good a reason to have a Halogen as any.

mo

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 27.02.10 10:34

Hi, I think the spray you are looking for is 'Fry Light'. It is a one calorie spray which stops food from sticking and helps it to brown. You can get it in any supermarket beside the cooking oils. It comes in a variety of flavours. I have the extra virgin olive oil one and I think there is a buttery one among others. Don't be frightened to spray a few times as it works better that way. It's still much healthier than oil, Junie

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  sdmcc on 27.02.10 11:22

The spray I am talking about is purchased from "Weight Watchers" either from a member, at a meeting or online. They are self-fillable, so you can change the olive oil infusion. You just pump the pressure top, remove and spray (a little like old refillable perfume sprays) They cost around seven or eight pounds. Hope that helps. By the way, I am not a member of WW's---beyond redemption and refuse to cut alcohol from my diet!

sdmcc

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 27.02.10 12:19

Sorry, I know the spray that you mean. It costs £7.95 from WW (I am a member - again - almost beyond redemption and I ignore the alcohol bit Very Happy ).
The spray is a very good idea for helping to reduce the oil used, but those watching the calories need to be aware it delivers half a teaspoon of oil with every spray.
All the best, Junie

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 27.02.10 16:04

Thanks Junie, I got the Fry Light in Tesco this afternoon, only £1.80-odd, a lot cheaper than the WW one! I am looking forward to giving it a go.

mo

Back to top Go down

Post  linpeteuk on 17.07.10 13:39

Hi there!

I have just joined the group and have very little experience but I have been starting my chips off earlier on a round metal bottom of a cake tin on the lower rack. Turn them and then add the frozen fish on the top rack. The fish crisps up nicely and then I turn it over!

linpeteuk

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 17.07.10 14:18

Hello and welcome

welcome

It sounds as if you are getting off to a good start with your oven. You have come to the right place and I'm sure that 'little experience' will soon grow to 'cooking with confidence'.

You know where we are if you need us.

Chef

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 17.07.10 17:30

Thanks linpeteuk, this tip certainly works! Very Happy

mo

Back to top Go down

Post  Dorismay on 18.07.10 4:27

Hi linpeteuk. I too am just a learner, confused Could I please ask, how long did the fish and chips take to cook, and at what temp? free-happy-smileys-9

Dorismay

THANK YOU : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  lizo9 on 02.08.10 17:14

hiya,im new to this so could someone tell me what temp and how long to cook chips,do i cut them as steak,normal,or frenchfries size.please.xx

lizo9

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 02.08.10 20:40

Hi DorisMay and Lizo9

There is some advice on chips in the recipe A-Z under 'P' Potatoes:Chips/French fries. Hope this helps.

Sorry dorismay but linpeteuk hasn't replied about the fish. silent

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 02.08.10 20:55

Hi lizo9

doing a search is also a quick way to find what you are looking for.

The Search box is on the top left side of your screen.

Just type in key words such as fish, chips etc and click the GO button.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

cooking fish & chips

Post  maureen on 25.10.10 16:59

you can get a square fibre & plastic mesh from pound shops which cut to shape over the racks will allow the air to circulate & stop the chips from falling through

maureen

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 27.10.10 18:36

Hi Maureen

welcome

Thanks for the useful tip.

junie

Back to top Go down