Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Problems cooking Fruit Cakes

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Problems cooking Fruit Cakes

Post  Linda53 on 29.01.10 22:41

Cakes in my Flavorwave Turbo – useless, what am I doing wrong? A fruit cake in a 20 cm tin, a mod. oven (150°C) for 1½ hrs. Top was ok but the bottom wasn’t cooked and didn't cook at all. Tin was on the rack in the base of the oven. Same with a choc. cake. Any ideas?

Linda53

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Cooking cakes

Post  wimplebum on 30.01.10 16:01

Hi Linda,

Did you just use a normal cake tin to cook the cake? If so, this could be the problem. If you look through the recipes it suggests using a ring tin. I found myself that if you don't use a ring tin or ramekins, the middle does not cook properly.

This does sound like it may be the problem you have. I have been trying to get a ring tin for quite a while and not managed to, so I have a way round it that works fairly well. I use a 9 inch round cake tin and put a well greased ramekin in the middle. Pour the mixture round the ramekin. This gives a lovely ring cake. I have not found a way of doing a "normal" cake in the Halogen. It appears that its the opposite to the microwave and cooks from the outside in.

If you use ramekins or foil cake cases this works well but be careful not to overfill them or it will drip off the edge.

I hope this helps

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Problems cooking Fruit Cakes

Post  Linda53 on 30.01.10 16:44

Thanks for that I'll try putting a ramekin in the middle. I was using a normal springform tin on both occasions.

Linda53

Back to top Go down

Cooking cakes

Post  wimplebum on 30.01.10 21:35

Hi Linda,

Let me know how you get on. Hopefully the ramekin should sort it out for you

Heres wishing you success

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 27.02.10 10:29

I experimented today. I make a 2-lb banana fruit cake for my husband to take to work most weeks. Today I did my usualy mix, divided it between two 1-lb cake tins (I also always use cake tin liners). I cooked one in my conventional oven, as usual, and the other in the Halogen, both for 1 hour, the contenventional oven one on 150degrees and the Halogen on 140 degrees, on the bottom rack. After half an hour the Halogen cake was brown on top so I covered it with tin foil for the rest of the cooking time.

Result - the conventional oven one as perfect as ever, the Halogen one did not retain its shape but looks nice on the outside. Sort-of cooked inside but a little heavy and dough compared to the conventional oven one.

Next experiment will be using a ring tin. Will let you know how I get on.

mo

THANK YOU : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Linda53 on 01.03.10 14:58

I did try a ramekin in the centre although it was better than a normal tin it wasn't good enough & I found it difficult to grease/flour - ramekin sliding around. Changed to a ring mould tin & they come out fine. It takes a bit of getting used to not having the normal round or square fruit cake but it's the cake you eat and that's all that matters. Thanks for the advice.

Linda53

Back to top Go down

Post  umborrington on 19.08.10 15:16

I've just cooked a teabread in the halogen oven - in my fan oven it takes an hour or less at 18 deg. I tried it at 170, after half an hour it was getting burnt on top soI used foil with holes in it round the upper rack as a heat diffuser. After an hour it was cooked outside - I turned it out and put it back upside down as the inside was still very runny in places.Another 10 minutes and it was finally nearly cooked (still some soggy areas!) I feel this cooker has limitations and I'm pushing it too hard. I don't think its really suitable for cakes!

umborrington

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 19.08.10 15:39

umborrington wrote:I tried it at 170, after half an hour it was getting burnt on top . . .

I had similar problem with my first cake. This is what works for me:

preheat the oven on full power for 5 minutes

lower the temp (170-180)

cook on bottom rack

use the extender ring - this prevents the top from burning, giving time for the centre of the cake to cook

Smile

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  mame on 12.01.11 22:17

All these comments make me believe that the halogen cooker is useless as a cake maker !

Why SHOULD we use a 'ring cake tin'..I dont have one, and the receipe does not call for one.

Why do we have to adapt to the oven ? Why does the oven not 'do as it says on the recipe' sort of thing !

I havent tried cake yet, but looking at all these comments puts me off.. And..

the lady with the banana cake.." Why fix something that aint broke " If your banana cakes turn out good enough, why not keep using conventional oven

What a disaster !

ps/ A pizza from shop bought, and taken from freezer, where I pre heated oven 5 - 8 mins on 200, then followed guidance for cooking it on high grid, for 10 to 12 mins. turned out doughy and uncooked underneath, and dry and frazzled on top!

WHY should we adapt to this ' temperemental' way of cooking when its obvious its faffy and requires ' babying ' !

mame

mame

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 12.01.11 23:45

Hi Mame,
it appears that you don't have anything positive to say about the Halogen Oven No

Like you said "Why fix something that aint broke" so if everything was cooking fine in either your normal oven or your microwave, why did you get a Halogen Oven :confused:

Many people have baked good cakes in their HO and I can assure you that I get good result when cooking pizzas.

You should not only read the posts where people are taking about their cooking disasters but also the posts where members have shared their successes with others

May be the HO is not for you afterall Sad

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  mame on 13.01.11 0:16

Point taken Reeta.. sorry for the woes..I just must have had bad results, but its only ealy days.

Thankyou. I WILL try to be more positive, and experiment ! Smile

mame

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 13.01.11 10:47

Hi Mame

The HO may not meet all manufacturers claims but it is a small and efficient cooker.
It is economical, food stays moist and tasty and the roasts are incredible.

As you say it's early days so please give your HO a chance. Good Luck

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  hummingbird on 13.01.11 15:10

Hi Mame oh you are having bad time with HO computer But I can honestly say apart from a few gremlins with cake making I generally have great success it does require a bit of patience and experimentation I have found with my Flavor wave 12L that it's easier to turn the temperture down extend cook time may have to cover top with tin foil and depending on cake a fruit cake may need to be turned upside down to help bottom cook once the top is well set but they do work it may be down to wattage of your oven, hope you can find an answer to your unfortunate experience so far Good Luck

hummingbird

THANK YOU : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  mame on 14.01.11 14:50

Thanks Hummingbird.. I am still using the HO of course, but just, at the moment, for a beef joint ( rock hard ) and heating a pizza ( raw under ) also a pre cooked lasagne, ( this was ok, but needed longer than the time actually said, for a conventional cooker )

Sausages cooked ok. havent tried Yorkshire Puds yet, but have the recipe to hand,

Re the cake. I havent yet tried one, but I will. although I have problems thinking that the cake would have to be ' turned over ' to cook the bottom. I cant picture how that could be done I must be missing something.

thankyou ! ( all, for your good wishes )

mame

Back to top Go down

Post  hummingbird on 14.01.11 15:52

Hi Mame are you sure your oven is working properly roast beef guide lines allow 25 mins per lb plus 25 mins extra wrap beef in tin foil place on lower rack set temperture at 200c and cook for allotted time should be perfect mines never failed in the ho. As for turning cake simply place metal tin base on top of cake tin turn over cook cake whilst in the orginal tin just gets the job done quicker

hummingbird

THANK YOU : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  mame on 14.01.11 17:35

ok hb will do this with cake..I just thought the mixture would fall out, but I guess it wont as it would be half cooked ?

The beef I did, was brisket of beef, around 1 to 1 and a half kilo..It was the first thing I cooked and I just put it in uncovered by anything, and with no additives of any kind ( seasoning, or veg, or herbs etc)I did it on the lower grid, for about the time ' recommended, at around 200, but after the time.. it looked ok ie, nice colour, and looked ' ready' but when I tested with a sharp thin knife sliced into it, it resisted quite a bit, so I cooked it longer.

In the carving of it, I had to use an electrical knife, and the pieces I sliced off, I used to re-sole my husbands boots ( !!)

Think, that for brisket next time, I will continue to use my slow cooker, as this makes a lovely moist joint which is full of flavour.

Hey, you live and learn girl!

mame

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 14.01.11 18:05

Hi Mame

As you have found brisket suited to slow cooking/ casseroles etc. It is a bit too tough for roasting. Try rump, topside or a cut labled as suitable for roasting and you will have better results.

junie

Back to top Go down

Fruit cake

Post  Clare on 30.01.11 22:18

Well - I tried a fruit cake today - 6" 'normal' deep tin, 150 degrees - 45 mins with foil, 45 mins without, 45 mins with foil again then 30 mins without - so 2hrs 45 mins total - and pretty good. I think I'll do it for another 15 mins next time and that should do the trick.

So it definitely took less than in a conventional oven!

I also tried making muffin sized fruit cakes, using a six-hole silicone muffin tray. 35 mins and 140, uncovered all the time and they were fine.

I will definitely get it perfect - any new oven, even conventional, takes some getting used to so another test or two should do the trick!

I love my halogen, so much more economical and lovely results!

happy-dancing

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 31.01.11 10:53

Hi Clare

Thanks for that. You are loving your HO aren't you. Well done.

Chef thank you

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  mame on 31.01.11 18:58

Hi Clare.. Does it really take that long to bake a fruit cake.. ? When I saw your post and was reading 45 mins then 45 mins thenanother 45 mins then ..etc., (!)

I wondered if your remark about it being so good was tongue in cheek sort of thing. then I realised that you were serious.. Im not commenting, just asking, does it really take that long to bake the fruit cake..How long does it take in a normal oven then ?
thankyou..

mame

mame

Back to top Go down

Fruit cake

Post  Clare on 31.01.11 19:06

Hi Mame

Yes indeed it does take that long. The fruit cake I made is a rich fruit cake, it has around 2lbs of fruit in it and would take 3 3/4 to 4 hours in a conventional oven at around 150 degrees; so less than three hours in the halogen was much quicker!

To be honest making muffin size cakes is more sensible as they only take c35 mins each, you don't have to mess around cutting a cake and they also freeze beautifully!

Hope that helps?

Clare

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  mame on 31.01.11 19:10

Yes Clare, it does ! thankyou very much . I will have to get my baking cap on and stop being so lazy !

mame

mame

Back to top Go down

Post  munchkin on 01.02.11 8:24

i bought my cake ring from Amazon .co very good price.Must say its strange to see a fruit cake with a hole in the middle but the grand kiddies love them ,they call them hoolahoop cakes

munchkin

THANK YOU : 9

Back to top Go down

Fruit cakes

Post  Suzyque54 on 01.02.11 16:12

Try using a boil and bake recipe. I have done this and cooked it in a 2lb loaf tin and it cooked beautifully. I did use the extender ring though and covered the top of cake half way through cooking time as it was browning a bit too much. I think the recipes need to be a bit drier than if you were using a normal oven.Perhaps cut down on the eggs or liquid. Sue

Suzyque54

THANK YOU : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  breken43 on 23.03.11 17:02

I have just cooked 2 cakes Maderia/cherry maderia/coconutmaybe next time cover top for a short while but then again i like it a bit crusty on top PERFECT !1 hour

breken43

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:09

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum