Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Roast Beef

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roast Beef

Post  smallships on 27.01.10 3:56

Hi Guys , well the Roast went well , it weighed 0.9k which is just under 2lbs , I was a bit apprehensive about the Temp. though , I would assume most Halogen ovens have roughly the same settings ?.....I thought about 45mins. per pound on 180C.
I started at 180C for the first 45mins. then added the slightly pre-boiled vegies ,covered with some olive oil and salt , I cooked it for another 25mins. still at 180C.
After checking the meat I realised it was still rather rawish so took a chance and reset the Temp. to 235C [What you say !] for another 20mins.!... well I was not happy about the Temp. setting on the dial , I thought it was way under what it was set at , maybe by 20C.,..anyway my risk paid off , the meat came out still with a little blood around it and the vegies were crisp to a treat , so I think it was a bit of mucking around ,and probably short of a miracle that I got it near right , but all in all the proofs always in the eating, right ? Cheers All...Ej.

smallships

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Roast of Australia Day!

Post  Thinlizzy on 28.01.10 18:54

Hi EJ,

Just a quick question....did you turn your beef joint over when you were cooking it? I believe you do have to do that in order to make sure it cooks evenly. You definitely have to do that with a whole chicken so I'm assuming the same applies to any joint.

Anyway, happy cooking. Very Happy

Thinlizzy

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Roast Beef !

Post  smallships on 29.01.10 0:56

Hi Thinlizzy, no I did not turn the roast at any point , as the oven is using a forced hot air system to cook I am assuming the heat is distributed throughout the bowl evenly , and as the roast was seated on the lower rack the hot air would circulate evenly above ,under and around the meat ?....As to the chicken I have cooked a roast chook [about l.2kg 2.5 lbs.]and I did turn it so as to get some browning on all sides as I noticed the underside although seemed cooked was a lot less coloured than the top!
I also turned the temp. up on the chook for the last
15mins. to 235c. I think I should start a log of these things as I will most probably forget what I have done in the past...Hope that's of some help
Regards...eJ.

smallships

Back to top Go down

Turning Joints

Post  wimplebum on 30.01.10 15:56

Hi folks,

If you are using a standard Halogen Oven, which I do, you need to turn any joints/chicken over because otherwise it will only cook the top and not the bottom. You'll find this out when you cook the joint, as I did when I cooked the chicken - the top was cooked but the underneath was still raw. I gave it another 20 minutes and it was well done.

EJ,you said your Halogen uses a forced air system, that sounds like an advanced one, the one I have has a fan in it that circulates the air, but I wouldnt say forced - although I nearly came unstuck when I cooked a rice pudding. One of the other members did say to be careful not to overfill the dish because it really swirls about. What kind of air circulation system does your Halogen Oven have?

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

To Turn or not to Turn ?

Post  smallships on 31.01.10 1:12

Hi Wimplebum , [I just love that name] yes I did turn the chicken so as to brown it on top and bottom , but decided against it with the Roast Beef as the fat on the top had browned up nicely and I wanted a soft end to carve to.
When I say Forced I do not mean it as in "Forced Air" ovens , which Gas and Electric ovens come with , these are generally pump boosted and the heated air is literally forced at a great rate of knots in and around the oven area , but by the same token "Halogen Ovens" rely on a similar system as the air is 'Blown' around the bowl and the sheer circulation of it should in theory carry the heat to all areas of the bowl , I also realise that the bulk of the hotter air would also strike downwards and to a lesser degree to the underneath part. I guess this is why this site is and will be so valuable to all user's of 'Halogen' cooking as we all seem to be experimenting and the fact that we can learn so much quicker by others mistakes and also by their triumphs.
I myself have learned so much from this site in such a short time it's good that things like Garlic bread , boiled eggs, etc. are being tried and people are just not sticking to the T.V adds as Roasts seem to be the main topic of the day. I am wondering if anyone has attempted making bread or scones yet ?...I would love to see a Topic on that ! .... I hope I have not sounded like the Theoretical Man but I do like to experiment with cooking and there has always been the arguments about Gas versus Electric for cooking , but in practical terms I think 'Halogen' cooking is the way to go !...Cheers eJ.
feedme

smallships

Back to top Go down

Bread etc

Post  wimplebum on 31.01.10 12:53

Hi eJ,

Many of us are in the same situation as yourself experimenting - especially if the recipe book you are sent has the wrong title for the recipe, for example Roast leg of lamb with the main ingredient of "loin of pork", or baked fish with a main ingredient of "4 large potatoes" Very Happy

I've been doing a bit of searching for you on our forum here, and bread rolls can be found on this link [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And you'll find other ideas on this link too [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

These are all from the forum, I just used the search button at the top to find them. Sometimes it works quite well, other times it seems a bit vague

Hope that helps my friend

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Roast Beef

Post  Sponsored content Today at 14:40

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum