Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Lifting out a chicken

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lifting out a chicken

Post  mo on 17.01.10 11:43

I get on great with cooking a chicken but can't work out the best way to lift it out or turn it over. I can't do it with the tongs supplied and the bowl is too deep to use two forks as I normall would, I burn my arms on the side! I'm thinking of buying a barbecue tongs?

mo

THANK YOU : 10

Back to top Go down

Lifting out chicken

Post  wimplebum on 17.01.10 13:42

Hi Mo,

I'm not sure what tongs you have, the ones I have are ideal for lifting tins/trays out (my oven is 7 litre so not big). They are very wide - about 3 inches/75mm wide and sometimes work quite well for lifting a chicken out. If I cant use the tongs I use a long wooden spoon and a carving fork as these are longer and reduce the risk of burning myself. When turning over, I put on a plate turn it over and then use the spoon and fork to put it back in again.

Other members will probably have other suggestions, but I hope that helps you. From what I understand, most of the tongs provided with the Halogen Oven are a bit - shall we say sub standard, and lead to a lot of problems. First chicken I cooked I got a handle for cleaning the bath (which was clean) and used that cos I couldnt find anything long enough then realised the wooden spoon was just about long enough.

Hope this helps - one thing to say is just to be careful - we dont want you to burn yourself.

Will be interesting to see what others suggest.

Happy cooking

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

Re: Lifting out a chicken

Post  mo on 17.01.10 17:08

Thanks oh thou with the really strange name! Some very good ideas. My tongs is not terribly wide and just doesn't grip well enough for me to risk using it. My oven is 10 litres so quite deep and wide. Today I have bought two carving forks which should prove easier to use than a dinner fork, and also a barbecue tongs to lift things like roast potatoes out. I still need something better than the tongs to lift the racks out but my other half says he can probably make me something with more of a lip on it. I'll let you know - perhaps he can patent it!
Best wishes
Mo

mo

Back to top Go down

re lifting out a chicken

Post  cazone on 06.03.10 21:31

Hi Mo, I too had problems with lifting out a chicken, or indeed anything, out of my halogen oven. I solved this problem by buying a pair of silicone oven gloves. Thay are not joined together, i.e. 2 seperate gloves, and I can man handle anything I have in the oven without burning myself. Also, because they are silicone, they can easily be washed and dried, in no time at all. Hope this helps, carole.

cazone

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 07.03.10 9:49

Hi Cazone, have just bought two silicone gloves, strangely enough. I must admit I bought them to lift the racks out with, hadn't thought of manhandling the chicken with them but I actually have one in cooking now, so I will give it a go! Thanks for the tip.

mo

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 07.03.10 10:09

Hi again Cazone - just turned my chicken over using the silicone gloves and it worked really well! The only thing is, I have one glove and one mitt and I think the glove is better, more flexibility, so I may have to buy another glove.

mo

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 07.03.10 13:48

Hi, the silicone gloves sound like a really good idea. I have been using long handled tongs to keep my arms safe. They work really well for smaller food items but not for larger items like chicken.
Happy Cooking, Junie
thank you

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  polegate on 10.03.10 16:23

where can I buy sillicone gloves, they sound perfect

polegate

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 10.03.10 17:43

Hi polegate

There seems to be several online outlets selling these gloves including Lakeland and E-Bay but Amazon seem to have the best selection.

feedme

junie

Back to top Go down

lifting out a chicken

Post  polegate on 11.03.10 6:44

Hi, Thanks for info I will buy on amazon today

polegate

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  lizo9 on 02.08.10 18:43

i bought some sillicone mitts from my local pound shop.

lizo9

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 02.08.10 20:28

Sounds like you got a bargain. They are certainly the best for lifting out a chicken.

Very Happy

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:24

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum