Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Proving bread in the Halogen Oven

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Proving bread in the HO oven

Post  soniapark on 17.01.12 14:37

Hi, I'm new to the forum and loving all your tips and help. So far the only thing I have cooked is a loaf of bread in a tin. I proved it in the HO oven on the bottom rack and the lowest setting (my oven is from Aldi & doesn't actually say "thaw"). I think it is a good tip to turn the HO oven off after a few mins and let the remaining heat do its magic. I forgot & left the oven on ( dazzled by the lights!). The dough rose in 20 mins & I went straight ahead and HO-baked it. It did scorch a little on top but now I know that I have to protect it with foil on the top rack, so will try that. Also, use the extender ring, which I had thought was just for large joints ! OR maybe it is a case of extender ring or foil ... time will tell !

soniapark

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Proving bread in the Halogen Oven

Post  junie on 17.01.12 15:35

Hi soniapark

As you have found, it's always a good idea to use the extender when cooking in your HO. You may find that you need foil too with some items. Very Happy

I'm glad the bread was a success for you, though.

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Re: Proving bread in the Halogen Oven

Post  Kerry girl on 28.01.12 10:54

Great tip, I've always wanted to bake proper bread but "proving" the dough was always a problem for me, so I gave up as every loaf I made turned out like a brick!

Kerry girl

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Hot Water for raising dough

Post  MamaG on 05.06.12 5:27

I hope I'm not presumptuous here as I haven't tried this method in my HO, but there is no reason it shouldn't work.

When making home made bread I always let the dough rise in my oven. I cover the dough with a light cloth, place it on the upper rack, and on the lower rack I place a container of boiling water. ( A ramekin of water in the HO). The hot water raises the temp and the humidity in the oven, and it is a draft free environment; perfect conditions for the dough to rise.

MamaG

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Proving Bread Dough

Post  cooka on 10.08.12 1:34

I, too, have trouble finding the right spot to prove my dough. Freezing here in Sth Oz, mid winter, and am on a bread baking binge. Love MamaG's tip for proving in oven and will also try on Thaw in HO. Doubt my bread tin would fit in the HO for final proving and cooking tho. Thx to all for your tips and hints.
Cooka cool

cooka

Back to top Go down

Proving bread dough

Post  Olly54 on 14.08.12 21:38

Hi all,thought i'd pass on what I do to prove dough with the HO. I mix up my dough but don't knead yet.
1. Set the HO to thaw or lowest setting.Set timer for 10 minutes.Put on the extender ring.Put an oiled bowl in your HO that you want to prove your dough in on the low rack.Leave it empty and turn on your HO.

2. Start your kneading,your timers still running and heating.When the bell rings you've been kneading for 10 minutes.Saves you having to time your kneading.

3. Put your dough into the warmed bowl and leave in the HO until at least doubled.I don't cover the bowl with anything but the HO lid,but that's just me.

4. In the meantime I oil up a baking tin,me I use one of those 10"round cake tins that the bottom pushes up or 2 1 lb tins.When your dough has doubled take out the bowl and put the empty oiled tin in th HO,if using the 2 1lb tins stack one on top of the other at right angles to each other to warm them.Set for 10 minutes again on thaw.

5. Knead the dough you have taken out until the bell rings.Shape your dough and put into your warmed baking tin,or if using 2 1lb tins,cut the risen dough in half after kneading,put one half in one tin put back into the HO and let it rise to the size of loaf you want.

6. I cook at 175c for 15 minutes,take the bread out of the oven.Leave to cool for 10 minutes.Then same again if using the two tins.

7. Take the loaf out of the tin and put back into the HO for 10 minutes at 175 c out of the tin and upside down.

8. Tap the bottom and see if it sounds hollow.I am eating a piece of fresh baked bread as I type with the other hand.I hope this encourages you all to give it a try!Loving all your recipes.Thanks

Last edited by Olly54 on 22.09.12 21:51; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Experimenting and found a better way)

Olly54

THANK YOU : 11

Back to top Go down

Bread proving kn the HO

Post  cooka on 15.08.12 0:24

Hey, Olly54, what a great idea. Will definitely try your method this weekend. Trying to find a 'warm spot' mid winter is not always easy. Thx for the great tip.
alien

cooka

Back to top Go down

Bread proving

Post  Olly54 on 15.08.12 1:47

Hey Cooka,Thanx.Write in and let us know how you get on,or indeed anyone else.

Olly54

THANK YOU : 11

Back to top Go down

Re: Proving bread in the Halogen Oven

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:27

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum