Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Help using a Pyrex glass dish.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help using a Pyrex glass dish.

Post  tomtom on 15.01.12 15:50

First use of my HO. Baked apples. Worked fine in a small 15cm/6" diameter pyrex bowl.

Second use - Cottage pie (for tomorrow) in a much larger pyrex dish - about 26-28cm/10-11" diameter.

On both occasions I rested the dish on the shallow grill rack to let hot air circulate underneath.

Gave the cottage pie 35 mins at 180 and then full heat to brown the top. It looked fantastic. But, the meat layer wasn't bubbling. That made me suspicious, so I touched the underneath of the Pyrex dish. It was warm. Not hot. I had to complete the cooking in my regular oven.

What did I do wrong? Should I have put the pyrex dish straight onto the bottom of the HO without using a stand? How well or poorly does (or should) hot air circulate?

tomtom

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Help using a Pyrex glass dish.

Post  junie on 15.01.12 16:07

Hi tomtom

You need at least 1 inch all round the dish to let the air circulate. The air, however circulates quite poorly under the bottom rack. The best air circulation is on the top rack and using the extender if possible. Placing a dish directly on the floor of the oven makes the problem worse.

Preheating the oven helps for larger items too.

It is always better to cook for a lower temperature for longer than to turn up the heat. The manufacturers claims for times are over-optimistic at best. The HO will cook a bit quicker than your big oven. You haven't done anything wrong - it's all part of the learning process with these HOs Very Happy

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  tomtom on 15.01.12 18:34

Made some more baked apples. Used the high grill rack with the extender in place. Cooked in half the time. Good advice. Thanks, Junie.

Tom

tomtom

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 15.01.12 19:42

you\'re welcome Tom

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:58