Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Affiliates
Free Recipes

Recipe for Baked apples please?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Recipe for Baked apples please?

Post  Fenclare on 07.01.12 20:55

I saw a recipe on a food network which used eating apples as a base for Baked Apples.
As we don't have access to cooking apples in Spain does anyone have a recipe I can use in my HO please?
Th
anks
Chris x
Fenclare

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Recipe for Baked apples please?

Post  Reeta on 10.01.12 20:09

Hi Chris,

No one has such recipe at the moment.

There is a baked apple recipe here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is done with baking apples but you could use eating apples and give it a try.

coucoufleurbleue
Reeta
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  tomtom on 17.01.12 22:30

Baked apples? Simple and delicious. The first thing I cooked in my HO. Very Happy

I don't peel apples - just personal choice.

Wash, dry and core, then stand upright in a Pyrex dish so the heat can get down the hollowed-out core and help cook the apples faster. Sprinkle a good pinch or two of sugar over each apple. Put on the high grill rack with extender ring in place.

I used small-ish apples, so I gave them 175 degrees for 10 minutes, Turned over, then gave them 10 minutes on the other side. Done. Larger apples will need longer to cook.

Variations:

If you like cinnamon, add a pinch or two towards the end of cooking.

Or:

For each apple you are using, put two teaspoons of raisins or sultanas into a bowl. Add two teaspoons of Calvados per apple and mix. Let the raisins/sultanas soak for fifteen minutes then stuff into the hollowed-out core of each apple before baking.

Or:

Soak blackcurrants (or blackberries) in a little Cassis - the Dijon one (Boudier?) from Tesco is lovely. Stuff into the hollowed-out cores before baking.

I like baked apples cold (and wrinkly) with warm custard but the calvados-soaked raisin/sultanas apples or blackcurrants/berries in cassis apples are best slightly warm (but never hot) with cold cream or a good home-made vanilla ice cream.

tomtom

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  tomtom on 17.01.12 23:00

Should have added that one of these...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

...makes things so much easier. I bought mine from a pound shop. Press down through the core, twist and pull the core straight out.

tomtom

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 18.01.12 11:59

thank you tomtom

These sound delicious. Thanks for taking the time to share this with us. I'll add them to the recipe A-Z so that they remain easy to find for all members.
junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  tomtom on 18.01.12 14:10

Hmmmm....leaving this recipe has bothered me all day. I was hoping to get in and edit it, but I haven't had a chance.

My regular oven is gas and it has a vent system. A halogen oven is essentially closed once the lid is on. Calvados is 40% proof. What chance is there of an alcohol fume build up/ignition?

tomtom

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 19.01.12 18:30

Hi tomtom

I've used brandy in roast beef marinades with no problems and wine with chicken too.

I think the small amounts involved should be safe enough - I'm no expert so if anyone knows better .....
junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Fenclare on 20.01.12 12:59

Thanks for all the replies Smile and yes I did use dessert apples with good results. I used the link from the first reply and would use rather less water for the sauce. But overall very pleased. Thanks
again
Chr
is
[i]
Fenclare

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum