Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

where did I go wrong

View previous topic View next topic Go down

where did I go wrong

Post  cazone on 09.01.10 0:30

Hi all, I have just purchased a halogen oven, which did come with a recipe leaflet, but it is a bit confusing. I wanted to try it out straight away, as I was exited to have it, so I tried to cook some chips. The recipe said to peel and cut potatoes into thin spears, which I did, and to cook them for 10 mins at 200, and a further 5 mins at 180. I brushed a small amount of oil on them, and cooked as instructed, trouble was they were still white and hard, am I doing it wrong? Question

cazone

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: where did I go wrong

Post  Admin on 09.01.10 13:59

So far I have only cooked oven chips in mine.

May be it would be best on a lower temperature and cooking them for longer ?

Another way is to cook them in the microwave first then finish off in the halogen oven, like we do with the jacket potatoes

If anyone else have cooked chips , we would like your advice please Question

Thank you

Last edited by Reeta on 09.01.10 20:20; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Chips

Post  wimplebum on 09.01.10 20:12

Hi Cazone,

I have done french fries from raw in the Halogen Oven and was delighted. They were about 5mm square. I didn't use any oil - would probably have got a better result if I brushed with some oil. I cooked them at 175 for 20 minutes, or until golden, and they came out well.

As Reeta suggested, to cook at a higher temperature you would need to microwave them first.

Good try though - well done

wimplebum

THANK YOU : 34

Back to top Go down

steak

Post  JOHN on 15.01.10 12:53

has anybody got any tips on grilling steak in the hallogen please, mine turned out tough and tasteless. john

JOHN

Back to top Go down

Cooking Steak

Post  wimplebum on 16.01.10 21:08

Hi John,

I haven't cooked steak yet. What settings did you use and how long did you cook it for?

I know that steak usually needs high heat and is pretty quick - You might have possibly overcooked it (I've done it with chops and they were pretty hard).

I am sure that one of us will be able to answer your query - often its a case of trial and error with the Halogen Oven. We are all learning here. Would be interesting to see what anyone else says too.

Let us know the time and temperature you used - also what position rack (low or high) as this can also make a difference. The way steaks are usually cooked I cannot help thinking it should be the high rack. Look forward to seeing your settings.

wimplebum

Back to top Go down

Cooking Steak

Post  wimplebum on 17.01.10 13:34

Hi John,

Bit more feedback for you. I asked our very own Chef Eric about cooking steak and this is what he said:

I cooked fillet/entrecote steak only the other day.
What I did was just brush the steak on both sides with a little oil.
I placed it on the top rack and cooked it on one side for approximately for 5 minutes then turned them for a further five minutes on 175c.
They came out perfect for a slightly cooked steak. This is how my wife likes them. I prefer mine medium to well done.

Obviously, if you wanted your steak done a bit more, you would increase the time taken to cook it each side. It is a case of trying different temperatures and times and making a note of what you have done each time so that you can refer back to it.

I hope this helps.

wimplebum

Back to top Go down

Post  npower1 on 20.01.10 20:10

I haven't tried this recipe. It comes from The Halogen Oven Cookbook by Jones and Meads

1 fillet steak about 1/2 thick
There is no need to preheat the halogen oven.

Place the fillet steak in a small roasting tin. Cover the steak with a few grinds of black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Cook on 200C. As a general guide, 8-10 miinutes for rare, 10-15 for medium, and approximately 20 for well done. The steak can be turned over half way through the cooking time.

(1) Note that the rack to use is not specified but would expect to use the high rack.
(2) Also, the 'can be turned' phrasing is odd. I would expect you should turn the steak half way through.

Hope this helps.

npower1

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  mo on 21.01.10 11:06

Hi cazone, can't think why your chips didn't work out. I do exactly that - cut into spears, put in a little baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, put tray on top rack, cook at 200 for 10 minutes, turn over and cook on 180 for 5 minutes, and they are perfect. Perhaps it was the potatoes, you know how they are, some need longer cooking times than others, some are good for chips and others for mash, don't give up. Get some old floury ones and try again.

mo

THANK YOU : 10

Back to top Go down

fillet staek ,did as eric surgested turned out tender and very tasty.thanx wimplebum.

Post  JOHN on 21.01.10 19:53

wimplebum wrote:Hi John,

Bit more feedback for you. I asked our very own Chef Eric about cooking steak and this is what he said:

I cooked fillet/entrecote steak only the other day.
What I did was just brush the steak on both sides with a little oil.
I placed it on the top rack and cooked it on one side for approximately for 5 minutes then turned them for a further five minutes on 175c.
They came out perfect for a slightly cooked steak. This is how my wife likes them. I prefer mine medium to well done.

Obviously, if you wanted your steak done a bit more, you would increase the time taken to cook it each side. It is a case of trying different temperatures and times and making a note of what you have done each time so that you can refer back to it.

I hope this helps.

JOHN

Back to top Go down

Post  Paddywack41 on 31.08.11 13:50

just bought a Halogen Oven and chips where the first thing i tried.

I used Maris Pipers and cut them into fairly decent sized chips. Prior to cooking I sprayed them well with Fry Light (Ive joined slimming world so Oil is a no, no). Cooked them at 200 for around 15 minute and they came out lovely. They are quite dry so normal oil may help that but they were certainly a lot nicer that doing them in the oven with fry light. By the way my oven has a tumbler for the chips so if yours doesnt I would advise trying to turn them a few times.

Paddywack41

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie54 on 02.09.11 16:34

Problem solved. At least, according to the owner of a certain website who not only pinches our recipes, he messes around with them something awful.

X RAY YOUR CHIPS

happy-dancing happy-dancing happy-dancing

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

For the original, see Reetas post, second one on this thread.

Maggie54

THANK YOU : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 02.09.11 17:17

Oh my God I don't believe this!!!
What is this person doing with our information and advice?

Thank you Maggie for pointing others to my original post.

If anyone has access to x-ray equipment, please do not x-ray your chips or anything else before you eat it. Not my advice.

Just to clarify - This website halogenrecipes.com is not part of our forum. I have contacted the owner and asked him to stop duplicating/copying our contents but he has ignored this request.

Now I need a plan of action Question Idea

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  John9683 on 08.09.11 11:36

To do oven chips from raw, slice them as normal then put them in boiling water for approx 4-5mins, drain them, allow to cool for about 5 mins and toss in a tablespoon of oil then cook for approx 20 mins at 200 deg C., turn over after 10 mins. You can add dried herbs or other seasoning to the oil you toss them in to add different tastes.

John9683

THANK YOU : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 22:26

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum