Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Frozen beef joint

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Frozen beef joint

Post  dowden on 31.12.11 12:12

Hi, i have the above,about 1.2kg.My oven is a cookworks and i have used it to cook chicken,steaks,chips,etc.Can i cook the frozen beef straight from frozen,if so what temp and how long.If it's best defrosted and i put it on the thaw option how long should it take.I like my meat cooked so it is not bloody.Thanks for any advice.

dowden

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Frozen beef joint

Post  junie on 31.12.11 14:45

Hi dowden

I have never defrosted a beef joint in this way - I feel the defrost setting is a bit fierce - however on large items I give it 15 minutes then rest for 15 minutes and repeat as neccessary - this evens out the temperature a little. (Perhaps others have a different way of doing this ???)
I usually cook topside - on the low rack with the extender in place. I start it off at 230C for the first 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 160C for the remainder. In a conventional oven your size of joint would take 110 minutes (30 minutes per 450g plus 30minutes for well done). In the HO you don't need the extra 30 so it will take approx 80 minutes overall.
I always turn the joint halfway.
Your joints cooking time will vary depending on cut, if its long and thin or short and round, fat content etc. Test it after 1 hour - if you have a meat thermometer it should be 78C in the middle. If not use a skewer and check that the juices run clear. If still pink, cook for a bit longer.
Wrap it loosely with foil and leave to rest for 20-30 minutes before carving.
Good Luck

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  dowden on 01.01.12 14:09

Thanks but it was a disaster.The joint was in for about 90 mins turned halfway,it looked lovely and well cooked outside but over half in the middle was raw,it didn't even look as though it had been cooked 5 mins never mind 90.I started high then reduced to 170 with the extender ring.Don't know what i did wrong but the main oven finished it off,thanks god.

dowden

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 02.01.12 14:12

Hi dowden

Did you defrost it thoroughly first and allow it to come up to room temperature Question

In my oven at 170C for that length of time my beef would be way overcooked and I have cooked many joints this way. Some do take longer than others depending on the shape of the meat as I said.

I never see it as a disaster if the meat is undercooked as I simply cook it for longer - the potatoes and veg wait till I'm happy with the meat and cook, on the whole, while the joint is resting. On the other hand overcooking can't be salvaged and that is a disaster.....

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  dowden on 03.01.12 11:27

Hi,yes it was defrosted and rested and the outside was well cooked,anymore and it would have been overdone but the middle was completely raw so i couldn't allow it to cook any longer without the outside being affected.

dowden

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 03.01.12 19:28

Hi dowden

I'm sorry your meat didn't turn out to your liking. The outside always browns quickly in the HO, that's why I use 160C as the cooking temperature. Many of us have found that ccoking for longer at a lower temperature helps. Without having been there I have no idea why yours didn't cook better in the time.

Just curious - what method and for how long did you defrost???

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  dowden on 04.01.12 9:23

I used the thaw option on the halogen oven it took a while but it was completely thawed,i kept turning it to make sure it was defrosted completely.

dowden

Back to top Go down

Raw beef joint again.

Post  dowden on 07.01.12 11:58

It's happened again,a beef joint fresh not frozen,left at room temp and cooked at 170c.The outside was very well done but when i went to slice the meat it was totally raw inside.It was left in about an hour and half so it had plenty of time to cook.Last time i used the extender ring so i didn't use it this time but the result was the same.I'm not cooking Beef joints again,only in the regular oven.

dowden

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 07.01.12 14:14

Hi dowden

Succulent beef joints and chickens are my favourite from the HO and never fail me - I can't understand your results dowden. I always cook larger joints but the time principle should be the same. If the outside cooks too quickly, you can cover it with foil for part of the cooking time and cook for longer but at 160C, I've never needed to do so.

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  dowden on 08.01.12 9:16

I can't understand it either,i did use foil when the outside was cooked hoping it would solve the inside problem.It is cooking other foods so it can't be faulty.

dowden

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 08.01.12 15:55

Using foil does seem to add quite significantly to the cooking time of any food - it seems to deflect the heat. The results are worth the perseverance, though. Why don't you try again but leave it cooking till it's done in order to see how long it actually takes in your own oven. That way you'd know how long to cook for the next time.

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 19:54

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum