Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Just ordered an oven!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just ordered an oven!

Post  TriciaB on 21.12.11 18:16

I\'m new here Hi, I am TriciaB and I live in Staffordshire. I have just ordered my first halogen oven. I didn't want it before Christmas because I thought there would be more than enough stress on the big day without either making decisions about which oven to use, or using the new one and being bitterly disappointed with the results using it for the first time! I have been doing a bit of research and one link led me here because it said that you have a fantastic recipe listed for roast potatoes. To save me having to search for hours, please could someone direct me to the correct recipe. Thank you very much, Tricia

TriciaB

THANK YOU : 5

Back to top Go down

Oooops, sorry!!

Post  TriciaB on 21.12.11 18:32

Embarassed My apologies - I have just found the recipe I want where they are cooked in goose fat. Unfortunately I had been looking under R for Roast in the alphabetic search but there was nothing. Then I looked under P for Potatoes, but again didn't get the right recipe. Finally found the Search section and managed to find just what I wanted by typing in Roast Potatoes! I will now go and hang my head in shame.

TriciaB

Back to top Go down

Re: Just ordered an oven!

Post  Admin on 22.12.11 7:38

welcome-banner.gif to the forum Tricia

no need to apologise - just glad you found the recipe.

Good luck with your Christmas dinner.

Eating santa

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 22.12.11 14:01

Welcome Tricia

I'm glad you found the recipe in the end.

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  TriciaB on 22.12.11 14:10

Thank you for the welcome. The service I have had from this Company (Andrew James) is second to none. I only ordered it late yesterday afternoon and have just been told that it will be with me before 5pm today. Now that really has left me in a quandry about Christmas dinner!! Chef
Merry Christmas to everyone - have a good one. cheers

TriciaB

Back to top Go down

Post  heatherg on 23.12.11 20:48

Hi Tricia and Reeta, my first post - I'm Heather from Nottingham and I've asked Santa for an Andrew James Halogen Oven for Christmas! Wow that is indeed great service Tricia. I'd decided not to cook Christmas dinner in it too Tricia, but the temptation to try it out might be too much lol!

heatherg

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 24.12.11 8:11

heatherg wrote:Hi Tricia and Reeta, my first post - I'm Heather from Nottingham and I've asked Santa for an Andrew James Halogen Oven for Christmas! Wow that is indeed great service Tricia. I'd decided not to cook Christmas dinner in it too Tricia, but the temptation to try it out might be too much lol!

Welcome to the forum Heather.

Santa has probably received many requests for Halogen Ovens this Christmas.

I hope you have been a good girl this year Heather!

santa rendeer

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  TriciaB on 24.12.11 9:25

Hi Heather and welcome to a brand new life of cooking! I see that we are only about thirty miles apart as I live just outside Burton on Trent - 'small world..' as they say! I don't know if you have actually received your oven yet but, if not, please take my advice. There is a recipe book which comes with it and it is written by Norma Miller. When I first saw it I was very disappointed with it and determined to get a 'proper' one. It has no pictures and is printed on rather poor paper. However, the first 23 pages are packed with information. It gives loads of tips and also has a list of food with cooking temperatures and it also tells you which rack to use. This takes all the guesswork out of the cooking process as far as I am concerned. The temperature and which rack also seems to be a big problem to a lot of people on this forum too. I really feel that, armed with this book and the good advice on this forum, I am going to have quite a comfortable entry into the world of halogen oven cooking. So, sit back, relax, read your book, and enjoy Christmas! Do post to say how you got on if you are brave enough to cook your Christmas dinner in it! Best wishes and Happy Christmas. Tricia santa Chef

TriciaB

Back to top Go down

Post  heatherg on 25.12.11 17:03

Hi I'm back, I've been a very good girl, so santa has indeed brought a brand shiny new Halogen oven for me. I couldn't wait to get started so first up a slice of toast, as per instructions, golden brown and crispy - on one side only lol. I think next time, I'll turn over the bread half way through, it was very evenly browned though. Next I thought I would try a boiled egg. I'm sure I read on here 200c for 6 mins for soft boiled. Haha at around 2 mins there was a bang and the top had blown off the egg. Oh dear. I stopped it straight away and cleaned up the mess. Then tried bacon, haha success! Nice crispy bacon sarnie for Christmas breakfast. I'm late having Christmas Dinner and I'm in the process of cooking that now. It's just for one, so I've got a couple of turkey steaks in, some stuffing balls, roasties and brussels all in together. It's on 190 degrees. The turkey steaks are in the fry pan now on the top rack, the roasties, brussels, and stuffing balls on the low rack. The stuffing balls are done, so I've just taken them out. It's now been on 40 mins and seems to be cooking nicely, I've just swopped everything around because the turkey was at the bottom and have set the timer for another 10 minutes, when I'll put everything but the brussels on the top pan and give another five minutes without any cover. I've got the steamer pan on top of the turkey pan at the moment to minimise any burn, I haven't checked the brussels, if they are not done when I put the yorkshires in, I'll stick them in the microwave to finish whilst I make the gravy. I'll be back to let you know how it turns out, can't wait ...

heatherg

Back to top Go down

Post  heatherg on 25.12.11 18:34

Honestly - I've had better Christmas dinners, but it wasn't a disaster. The turkey was dry on the outside for my taste but it was moist inside and done properly, a couple of the larger roasties could have done with a few minutes extra, but the smaller ones were fine and the sprouts needed about 90 seconds in the microwave to finish them off. The Yorkies had about a minute too long. Not bad for my first Christmas dinner cooked the Halogen way though, and just enough Turkey left over for a sandwich for supper chef

heatherg

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 26.12.11 15:05

clap heatherg and thanks for letting us know how you got on. Sounds like you've had a good start.

welcome-banner.gif TriciaB

santa

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  TriciaB on 26.12.11 19:28

Hi Heather. My word, you did do well! I have looked in the little instruction manual which came with our HOs. It is very badly written isn't it? Obviously not proof read at all. I think that where you may have gone wrong with the egg is that they tell you to put it on the 'elevated' rack, whereas I feel they meant the other one. Yours would have been right at the top and, if you didn't use the extension ring, it would probably have been far too close to the bulb. Perhaps someone will correct me if I am wrong on this one. Personally, I feel you were very brave doing your Christmas dinner as the first meal you cooked. I have been out today and bought some roasting bags from Pound World - I have been told on this Forum that they stop the meat drying out. You might care to try them too. Good value as well as there are ten in the pack. Regards, Tricia

TriciaB

Back to top Go down

Post  heatherg on 28.12.11 0:15

Hi Tricia, you are correct and I did eggsactly as you summised. My feeling was also that it was too close to the bulb and I should have used the extension ring. I haven't tried it again as yet but I may try again in the morning for breakfast. I've cooked bacon for a breakfast cob again today and I've cooked another dinner today, except for the Turkey which I had left over, I did my own roast potatoes rather than use frozen ones this time and they came out perfectly, I par boiled them, then added to the ho fry pan with just a spray of oil. I did brussel sprouts in a closed foil pouch with just a dash of mint sauce and about four teaspoons of water, added that to the fry pan. Also I made up some stuffing from a mix, dotted with butter and baked that, again in the fry pan. So they were all on the elevated level in the fry pan and in total I think I cooked them all together for forty or fifty minutes on 200 degrees, turning the roasties and the stuffing occasionally to brown them and using the extension ring this time. Everything came out done to perfection, I don't think I could have improved on it, so I'm really happy with that. I really wasn't too concerned about Christmas Dinner as it only affected me, it's not like I was cooking for a family, I would have been more concerned about doing that for the first time if I was - but I wanted to play, and now after my success I'm really fired up to try other things out. Very Happy
Next time I go shopping I'll invest in some roasting bags, thanks for the tip Tricia. How are you getting on?

heatherg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:46

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum