Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Still need persuading

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Still need persuading

Post  sueandpack on 25.11.11 19:40

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I have joined to find out more about cooking with a Halogen oven before buying one as I want to make sure it is going to work for me before spending dosh I don't really have Very Happy

I saw an add on JML the other night and was intrigued with this cooker, they made it sound wonderful and had many meals where they were cooking various foods together, but all the recipes I come across are for "one-pot" dishes or for the meat / veg as separate dishes, so am unsure how it works cooking various different items all together, such as a full roast (meat, roast spuds, veg, pigs in blankets, stuffing etc.) can this even be done?.

I am hoping if I get one that it may make me cook more, at the moment I tend to do lots of stir fry type meals in a wok, frying off all the veg and meat together and then adding in the cooked rice or pasta - takes about 10-15 mins - is this something that can be replicated in a halogen oven?

I also do sausage casserole, cooking the sausages first, par-boiling spuds then putting together in a casserole with veg etc. Would I still need to brown sausages and par-boil spuds if doing in a Halogen?

I do baked spuds in the microwave which takes about 15-20 mins depending on size of spud the timings on the instructions I have seen say 75 mins which seems a long time for something that is supposed to cook quicker!!??

I also do a lot of frozen stuff under the grill like nut cutlets and chips along with either beans or peas on the hob, can the halogen do this too?

I should say I am on my own so majority of my cooking is for one - although I do often do enough to last me a few days.

Sorry for all the questions, I guess I want to be sure I will be able to use it for the stuff I tend to cook now and hope that if it does and is as quick or quicker (I am not good at waiting for food to cook Laughing ) that I may be inspired to be a bit more adventureous.

Thank you
Sue

sueandpack

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Still need persuading

Post  junie on 25.11.11 19:49

Hi Sue

Doing one pot dishes takes a lot of juggling in an HO. Stir fries are much easier on the hob and for your sausage casserole, you'd still need to brown the sausages and parboil the potatoes.
The HO can't compete with a microwave for speed but i like my baked potatoes to be crispy - it does take about 40 minutes which is quicker than a 'big' oven.
Sorry but 'horses for courses' - the HO is a small and very efficient oven but isn't a great multi-tasker - I think this probably answers your question.

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  sueandpack on 26.11.11 22:16

Thanks for your honest answer June Very Happy

I think that although it sounds like a brilliant little oven, the add oversold it a bit as to what it could do and you are right, for my type of cooking and circumstances it is probably not right for me at the moment.

I will certainly keep an eye on them though and maybe buy a recipe book in case I get one in the future Very Happy

Thanks again
Sue

sueandpack

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:09

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum