Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Cottage Pie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cottage Pie

Post  Bruce on 03.08.11 14:57

I tried cooking a large cottage pie in a Pyrex dish in the HO . I did it on 200 and for 20 Min's, the topped browned lovely, but unfortunately although everything had been pre - cooked it did not heat through. Thoughts please .
Bruce .

Bruce

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Cottage Pie

Post  junie on 03.08.11 16:30

Hi Bruce

You need to adapt recipes for your HO. The heat comes from the top and the larger your dish, the more the heat struggles to circulate. Make sure your dish is on a rack, preferably the top one with the extender in place. Cover with foil for the first part of cooking and then remove foil to brown - overall at least 40 minutes for a large pie. (This can be reduced if everything is piping hot when it goes in.)

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce on 03.08.11 17:01

Hi June

Thanks very much for the prompt reply. As you say, I guess it is just a case of getting use to things, but I thought that I may of needed to cook it for longer as it was quiet a large pie.

It is great to be able to come onto the site and ask questions of those of you who have been using the cookers for sometime , thanks once again

Bruce

Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 03.08.11 19:21

you\'re welcome Bruce

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie54 on 04.08.11 8:02

I had the same problem with the recipe for Macaroni Bake, posted here http://halogenovenrecipes.forumotion.com/t254-macaroni-macaroni-bake

Because of the quantity I ended up using a deep pyrex dish on the low rack. I cooked it to within an inch of it's life and the centre was still cold.
Now I halve the ingredients as there are only two of us, use a shallower dish on the high rack with the extender ring and it is fine. If I was cooking this dish for four I would do as Junie suggests and cover it with foil for the first part of the cooking process.

It's trial and error Bruce, but when you can chat to others about it, it hopefully cuts down the error bit.
Welcome to the forum Hello and Welcome

Maggie54

THANK YOU : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce on 04.08.11 8:33

Hi Maggie, thanks for the welcome to the site and for the advice , yes it does help when you can discuss these things . I guess I just made the pie a little to big , I will as suggested in the future make the necessary adjustments . Thanks again for the welcome

Bruce

Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 13.08.11 19:35

Now four of us try and test adapted recipes in our HO's all four of us have 2 HO's all different. We found when cooking the same thing ie Cottage Pie we all cooked at different temps ranging from 180 - 250 but all took different times to cook, so I think a bit has to do with the HO's themselves.
We found the one cooked at 220, on the top rack with the extender was perfect it took 55 mins in one HO and 40 in another, these were the two we felt were better and those who tried them agreed although they had no idea who had cooked what with which HO. It was a 6 person serving we did.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce on 13.08.11 21:07

Hi Caz, thanks for the answer , I guess its just a case of trial and error like most cookers are to begin with .

Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 18:03

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum