Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Oven problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oven problem

Post  rhonamw on 05.07.11 22:02

Hello,I am new to this forum,but have been a fan of HO ever since they first came on the market,have had several different makes,but always seem to have a problem with the transfer on the lid that marks time and temperature wipeing off afer a while.Had a bad experience yesterday, the glass lid on a bowl of roasting potatoes went bang and crazed glass fell into the bowl,I have never experienced any problems before and cannot imagine why this happened,the oven was not even very old.I am off to buy another one tomorrow

rhonamw

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Oven problem

Post  Guest on 06.07.11 0:12

Sorry I've got my thick head on, do you mean the lid of the HO shattered???
If it did I think you need to ask a few questions and make sure you get the answers too

Or was it the lid of a pot you were using inside the HO??

Like I say I have my thick head on tonight lol

Regards Caz

Back to top Go down

Oven problem

Post  rhonamw on 06.07.11 20:54

It was the oven lid that shattered,the glass bits fell inwards followed ofcourse by the rest of the lid with the element in it.Must have had a flaw in the glass.I am reporting it to the supplier.Had to let it all cool,before I could rescue my baking dish.which was only full of roasting potatoes not anything expensive fortunately.Just been to buy a bargain one from Wilko,cannot be without my HO,it saves so much time.

rhonamw

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 06.07.11 22:10

Good God that's nasty
Yes you need to get onto the manufacturers I sure would!
Something like that is very unsettlin.
Will be interesting to hear what they say, did you take pics of the damage
That is always a good idea
Better luck with your new one

Caz

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 07.07.11 17:56

Hi Rhonamw

This is the first time I've ever heard of this happening - as Caz said, please let us know how you get on.

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  rhonamw on 10.07.11 17:41

I contacted supplier,basically they did not want to know,as it was outside guarantee I explained that I did not expect cempensation,but thought they should know in case it happened to others as well.The transfers on my original lid wiped off very quickly,a fault which they ackowledged and they had supplied a new lid a year or so ago.(The transfers still wiped off!,)I have found this a problem with other makes as well.I will be cautious of leaving an oven unattended in future,it could have started a fire in my kitchen.My family say I am an accident looking for somewhere to happen,but on this occasion I cannot see how it could have been my fault.

rhonamw

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 10.07.11 18:10

Hi Rhonamw,

I am glad that you didn't get hurt. It could have been worse.

rhonamw wrote:My family say I am an accident looking for somewhere to happen,but on this occasion I cannot see how it could have been my fault.
Of course it was not your fault. There must have been a weakness somewhere in the design which the manufacturer will never admit.

What make/brand is your Halogen Oven and where did you buy it from?

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  rhonamw on 11.07.11 20:10

The oven was purchased mail order from coopers of stortford,and had their name on the lid,it looked the same design as the JML one that I had previously,(on which the element had eventually broken)a customer service person who I spoke to consulted her supervisor who spoke to amanager and then phoned me back to tell me I was not entitled to any compensation.The seriousness of the incident did not seem to cause cocern

rhonamw

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 11.07.11 22:07

Thank you for sharing this info with us rhonamw.

I like to read feedbacks / opinions of other users before I make a purchase.

It appears that once the 1 year guarantee is over, it doesn't matter if it explodes in your face. It's not their problem.

Well rhonamw they do not get my vote Suspect

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 12.07.11 15:12

Its disgusting how some companies have what seems to be a head in the sand attitude. I had an incident with a coffee maker (coz I can't stand instant lol) yes it was out of warranty, I lifted the glass jug and it just went! Thankfully I wasn't burned. I called them and got the head in the sand bit so I told them I had all the pieces and I'd taken pics too and if I didn't get a blinkin good answer as to why this happened I'd got go the office of fair trading. With that they huffed a bit and puffed until I said I was going to put the pics on you tube (I'm not even a member) I wasn't so worried about a replacement jug as the fact someone could have been hurt and I told them that in no uncertain terms. Three days later I recieved a lovely new shiny coffee maker (much better than the one I'd had lol) and 6 packs of very expensive coffee!

I'll tell you one day about the saga of the washing machine I bought from comet and it stopped working, but I did end up getting a new one!

I really don't think we complain enough in this country, maybe it's a sign of the times of shoddy workmanship!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  sewitall on 12.07.11 17:20

I would agree with Caz on this one. We don't complain enough. If I was told sorry but it's out of guarantee so we can't help you I would also quote Trade Descriptions Act (goods not fit for purpose) at them and tell them you would be seeking compensation through the courts unless they replace it. If it was just the element then the company could argue that they have no control over the life of a particular element but the glass should be made to last and not shatter without reason and under normal operating conditions. It's not as if you put hot glass onto a cold surface. I recommend you go back to the company and say you are not happy with the answer you were given and give them the opportunity to put this right. If they still say no then send them a letter to say they have 14 days in which to replace it (it is important you send them a letter giving them an opportunity) and if they fail to do so you will pursue the matter in the County Court. It is unlikely they will offer an adequate defence in which case you will be awarded the cost of a replacement oven, the inconvenience of being without one, the cost of the spoiled food, suffering shock when the glass shattered plus your costs to bring the action (if you bring a claim you need to list all these items in your claim).

sewitall

THANK YOU : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  rhonamw on 12.07.11 19:44

Thanks for your replies.I would like to make others aware of this hazard,but would not want to discourage them from buying a HO,they are so useful.The oven worked OK for a long time before this happened, and there was no visible sign of fault in the glass,so it could not have been detected by the manufacturers.I am too old to be bothered to fight for compensation through the courts,and have lots of other stress in my life at the moment so will just not deal with this company for anything else in future.I certainly do not want another oven from them.!!Just going to treat us to some comfort food - a few homebaked muffins ,so easy in the HO,Went to buy a replacement,and actually bought two,Have not yet tracked down silicone cases for proper big muffins,so just make twice as many!

rhonamw

Back to top Go down

Post  lonergan2468 on 14.05.12 13:11

I had a similar incident with a Le Creuset pan..I was simmering a fish didh on the hob, and I heard BANG!!!..the glass lid had shattered. I should have complained. I bought it at Peter Charles I think in Chelsea.
AND...a few months back I bought three glass tea cups from a local shop run by a lady and her husband in Southall. The last cup shattered a few days ago, I placed my tea bag in, then the boiling water, just turned to the sink to get a spoon..BANG..now if a child had been there !!!! When it happened with the first 2, I did tell her..she is still selling them!

lonergan2468

THANK YOU : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  lonergan2468 on 14.05.12 13:12

OH YES!...I also bought my 22 inch pyrex casserole dish for my HO from her on the same day the third cup went BANG...

lonergan2468

THANK YOU : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 13:11

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum