Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

cooking a stew in a halogen oven, possible?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cooking a stew in a halogen oven, possible?

Post  mrgreaper on 19.06.11 22:28

Ok im a night guard i dont have the healthyist of diets or the best of cooking abilities.

how i used to cook a stew is in a slow cooker, i would just add potatoe cut to pieces a couple of cans of stewing steak lots of water and some bisto, always a large amount is cooked as i will have 2 or 3 bowls and then another two bowls put in the fridge to be microwaved latter (im blessed with a fast matobolisim(but not the ability to spell it) )...sadly disaster struck and the lid of my slow cooker got droped and shattered.

but i have a jml halogen oven...a large glass bowl so i wondered if i added the same ingrediants directly into the bowl(up to about 3/4th full and cooked it at a low tempeture (say 150 degrees c) stiring every 20 minutes, would that work? and be safe to eat lol how long would it take to get the potatoes nice and mushy like that?

thank you in advance

mrgreaper

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: cooking a stew in a halogen oven, possible?

Post  Maggie54 on 20.06.11 14:53

Hello mrgreaper welcome

Sorry I can't answer your question but I am sure someone will be here shortly who will be able to

Apologies for my odd sense of humour but I can't resist asking.

Is your first name Grim ???

Maggie54

THANK YOU : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 20.06.11 16:09

Hi mrgreaper,

Yes you can cook stew in your halogen oven. You must not cook it directly in the oven bowl. Use a smaller bowl and place it on the low rack - Why? because you need hot air to circulate around the food/bowl. It is also best to cut the potatoes in smaller pieces.

This link below will provide you with more info.
http://halogenovenrecipes.forumotion.com/t1060-can-i-cook-a-stew-in-halogen-oven?highlight=stew

feedme

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  mrgreaper on 21.06.11 0:22

thanks,

can i get away with using the main bowl if i stir frequently ? guessing its a guy thing but i dont have a smaller cooking bowl lol

My first name is David

mrgreaper (Mr G Reaper) has been my online name for, and now i feel old, a couple of decades, playing doom on dial up. so when signing up to the forum force of habbit won out lol

mrgreaper

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Maggie54 on 21.06.11 10:09

mrgreaper wrote: mrgreaper (Mr G Reaper) has been my online name for, and now i feel old, a couple of decades, playing doom on dial up. so when signing up to the forum force of habbit won out lol

Thank you for not taking offence at my joke. Very Happy

About your stew. I noticed that you are using tinned steak which I would think is pretty expensive. If you have a pressure cooker, have you thought of buying a load of stewing steak? It comes really tender in a pressure cooker and I am sure it would be cheaper, and more nutritious for you. You could then do your stew in the halogen oven.

In my student days I used to buy a ham shank and a bag of dried marrowfat peas, cooked the shank in a pressure cooker, threw away the skin and bone and then added the meat and stock to the soaked peas with an onion or anything else I happened to have. A pan of that kept me fed for a week, leaving more money for interesting things, like clothes or alcohol !!!
cheers

Maggie54

THANK YOU : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on 21.06.11 16:13

mrgreaper wrote:thanks, can i get away with using the main bowl if i stir frequently ? guessing its a guy thing but i dont have a smaller cooking bowl lol

Hi David,

Yes you can do that if you stir frequently.

There was a post before when someone had to do that because they were cooking a large amount.

Let us know how you get on David.

feedme

Admin
Admin

THANK YOU : 506

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 18:02

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum