Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Halogen Oven Recipes
Ads Links
HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

Cheapest deals for Halogen ovens, recipe books and accessories.

Enter shop > HALOGEN OVEN SHOP

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services.

By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies.

Learn More

Help please persuade me to keep my HO!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help please persuade me to keep my HO!

Post  Mikst on 14.03.11 19:34

Hi everyone,

Please help persuade me to keep my HO, I've already had 2 disasters cooking with it, I'm worried I may end up giving myself or members of my family food poison. I've only had the HO 5 days.

My first effort I tried to do a full chicken using the booklet instructions 250C for 90mins on low rack. I thought it was cooked but found it half raw when it was plated up. I've since learned from reading the forum to cook it upside down first then cooking the top half.
I tried the above method tonight just cooking a chicken leg on a tray on high rack, 200C for 20mins 10 mins each side. I preheated the oven before starting too for 6 mins. The leg looked fine golden brown and nice crispy skin. I plated it up with chips that I deep fried and ate the chips first to savour the lovely looking chicken leg for later but when I moved it to the middle of the plate there was blood where it was sat. It put me off eating it and threw it straight in the bin.
Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong please before I take it back for a refund.

Thanks, Mick.

Mikst

THANK YOU : 0

Back to top Go down

Re: Help please persuade me to keep my HO!

Post  junie on 14.03.11 20:16

Hi Mick

The instructions with the ovens aren't usually too clever which is why this forum is here. You don't mention the weights of your chicken but the following is a general guideline

Always defrost and bring the chicken up to room temperature before starting to cook it.
Allow 40 minutes per kilo (20 mins per pound) plus 20 minutes for a whole bird.
Thighs need 30 - 45 minutes depending on size.
I use 200C for all chicken.
These are standard oven guidelines but your HO will cook a little quicker in most instances - ovens will vary a little.

Always test by cutting into the thickest part (or largest thigh) before serving and cook for a little longer if necessary.
A meat thermometer is invaluable and the internal temperature should be 83C/181F.

Have a look at the previous recipes in the A-Z, I have a lemon and herb recipe there that never fails me.

If you type chicken into the search, you can see all previous posts on the subject.

All roasts are extremely moist and tasty cooked in the HO and are worth persevering with.

I hope this helps you.

Welcome to the forum.

junie

THANK YOU : 373

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikst on 14.03.11 23:22

Hi June,

Thanks for the reply, the chicken was 1.4kg and the leg was 340g both were fresh and not frozen. My oven is the small 7L prolectrix one. I've used it to cook bacon and steak successfully because I don't mind steak rare lol.

I'll check some recipes out and give it another go.

Thanks Mick.

Mikst

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 15.03.11 11:00

Hi Mick

If that size of chicken was still half raw after 90 minutes at a temperature of 250C, I would be concerned that your oven is faulty. Turning however is necessary in the HO.
Try testing it by cooking something that you know the fan oven time and temperature for and if your HO hasn't got it at least close to being cooked, take it back for a replacement.

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikst on 17.03.11 8:56

Hi June,

I've tried the oven cooking roast potatoes 200C for 40 mins on a high rack in a shallow roasting dish sprinkled with olive oil. It cooked well but my wife said they were tasteless lol. I've also tried a rump steak 300g about an inch thick at 250C 5 mins a side that came out medium on a high rack. I like my steak medium rare but it tasted lovely.

Thanks for your help it looks like I'll be keeping it now. I might try for a soft boiled egg later, any tips?

Mick.

Mikst

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 17.03.11 14:03

Hi Mick
Sometimes the flavour of the potatoes is down to the variety, try experimenting with herbs to add to the flavour. I like fresh rosemary or thyme with mine - cumin is lovely too if you like the flavour.

If you type eggs into the search bar, you'll see the previous posts. They should help. Very Happy

It might take a little trial and error but it's worth the effort to persevere with your HO.

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Teresah on 31.01.12 18:36

Hi, I bought a cheap supermarket chicken today, to try in my oven. I followed your instructions to the letter, and boy was I blown away with the results. A perfectly done moist chicken, with crispy skin to die for. My next one will be from our local butcher, which will have tons more flavour.
Teresa

Teresah

THANK YOU : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  junie on 01.02.12 13:25

you\'re welcome Teresah

I'm so glad this was a success for you.

junie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 16:18

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum